PDA

View Full Version : The problem with thick and thin dies

Granny Penny
29-05-2011, 09:39 AM
I would really like a bigger die cutting machine but I do need it to cut material too so I have looked hard at the Accuquilt which has a 10 x 10 plate but does not seem to adapt for thinner dies and also the Calibur which will not, as far as I can see, take the thicker dies. I am wondering now about the Vagabond. Could anyone tell me which dies it will take? The main ones I am interested in are the Grand Nesties and Bigz dies so you can see I am asking for extremes.

kitten_with_claws
29-05-2011, 10:17 AM
The Vagabond can only handle the smaller Grand Nesties in the sets GP, same as the Cuttlebug can, not the bigger ones, i.e. anything over, maybe, 6 inches?
Also for what you want, I don't think the Vagabond (even with its improved motor & gearing over similar die-cutters) will be up to it, I'd be a little surprised tbh! lol

I may be wrong but for what you want, I think the only machine currently around that can do everything from cutting fabric to Grand Nesties to Bigz etc. is the Big Shot Pro. You would need to check however which bundle would most suit your needs as there is quite a lot of 'extras' to be factored in when buying the machine, unless in with it?

Can't post links (as to other forums) but found quite a lot of info by googling various options of one machine vs. another, e.g. AccuCut vs Big Shot Pro etc. & also by adding 'fabric' in there somewhere! lol

Granny Penny
29-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Off to have a look Kitten. Will certainly do the AccuCut vs the Big Shot Pro as that seems very logical (I think both brain cells are in action today :grin:) I have done quite a bit of googling already but you only have to add in one word and you get a completely different result don't you. Thank you so much for doing that - I was getting to a head against brick wall place. I am going to buy my first AccuCut Die today so I can compare with the Bigz ones.

kitten_with_claws
29-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Found these (mildly) useful bits of info GP:

http://jojoshappyscrappin.blogspot.com/2011/05/big-shot-pro-westminister-quilters.html

http://theqec.org/77/what-the-difference-between-the-different-sizzix-machines

Dips
29-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Penny, I think that the Big Shot Pro is the option you need. Can I suggest you contact Rich at Country View Crafts and explain what you want to do? Rich spent about a month answering all my questions with unlimited patience, and contacting various suppliers for further info when I had questions that were beyond his and Susan's excellent product knowledge. I think the bottom line is that currently no machine is 100% compatible with ALL dies in ALL sizes. However, Sizzix are bringing out a cutting mat "sandwich" in September that will mean that you can use the largest Nesties in the Big Shot Pro, and that will be the final puzzle piece. Have weighed up the Big Shot Pro vs the Grand Calibre, I went for the Pro in the end as I wanted to be able to cut A3 cardstock and use Bigz dies. This was not an easy choice as the Pro is much more expensive, but I am now thrilled I've got it. I'm convincing myself that over time it will pay for itself as it is now encouraging me to use all that lovely cardstock that I have on my shelves in my craft room. HTH!

Granny Penny
29-05-2011, 02:44 PM
I think you are right about the BSP Dips. I feel more comfortable going for that as more people have used it in the UK. There appears to be only one supplier for the AccuQuilt in the UK and they do not seem to stock the large machine. I can use quite a few of the large (but not the largest) nesties in my cuttlebug so knowing that I would be able, even if it would be in the future, to use the largest ones in the BSP would be a bonus. We do expect a lot of our machines don't we but many of us have crafts that overlap. I have just read a thread in another forum from a book binder/card maker who is contemplating the Big Shot Pro! I think using either the Bigz dies or the Acccuquilt Go! ones I would be able to cut up to 10 layers of material which would make a lot of difference. You're right about the expense but I was contemplating an electronic die cutting machine and I don't think my "journey" will now go in that direction. (I could do with it on flexipay though :grin:) I notice most of the suppliers of the Pro seem to be showing "out of stock"; did you have to get it ordered especially? I have put a saved search in Ebay just in case someone is disposing of one!

Dips
29-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Penny, Rich knew I was after one and had just 1 delivered by Sizzix whilst I was still researching. However, he put it to one side (with no hassle if I didn't want it) and then when I'd finished faffing, sent it off to me! I think he may be able to request one from Sizzix if you want one. I was also watching Ebay contemporaneously, and one went to auction (second hand) just after I'd bought mine from Rich but it ended being more expensive than the price I'd paid for a brand new one! Plus, you do receive excellent after-sales service from Rich. Sorry, I sound like I'm on commission (I'm not!), I just ended up getting the best of both worlds, a very competitive price and the peace of mind when spending so much on one item, of great customer service.

Granny Penny
29-05-2011, 04:49 PM
I have seen people do that before, Dips, pay more that they could get it new I mean - very strange. I can only sing Rich's praises too so will get in touch with him and find out what is possible.