PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for the Crafter - 10pm

Rentochops
05-11-2008, 06:50 AM
It was interesting to see that QVC tried to give different craft items last night rather than papercraft. (You have to get rid of this category now Graham, Dawn Bibby hasn't been seen on QVC since last Saturday).

The guests we very nervous though expecially with the beads, mind you having one sit on a table miles away from Sara and the other guest was not a good idea.

As for Calypso and her over-priced Clippy Kits, it may have been nerves, but she didn't see very jolly.

I liked the lady who presented the photo board thing.

Then Anna was lovely as ever, shame her TSV wasn't as lovely, I won't be putting crochet embellishments on my cards LOL

purdycraft
05-11-2008, 07:06 AM
What about that knitting board on the previous show? It looked very boring to me and there was no mention about where you could get patterns.

Wellington
05-11-2008, 10:12 AM
I caught a little of the 4pm show (half saw the knitting board - wasn't quite sure what was going on TBH!) & saw the 10pm show from about 10:20 - the clippy bags onwards.

It was nice to see new guests & different crafts, even if none of it really appealed to me. I thought they didn't manage the bead products at all well - everytime they asked the lady at the other table to show some samples they didn't get her to hold them up long enough to do a close up before she put it down again. And they didn't show her demo-ing very well either. Plus I don't think they really showed the kits properly. There seemed to be tonnes in the first kit, but Sara didn't seem to be aware of it at all...

LorraineJ
05-11-2008, 10:38 AM
For beaders among us, I have seen for £1 bead boards in £1 Empire that cost £8.99 elsewhere.

angela
05-11-2008, 12:22 PM
that's good to know Lorraine, could do with a bead board as they usually end up on the floor, pity we haven't got a £1 empire here, wonder if £1land do them?

lilac froggy Jan
06-11-2008, 01:49 PM
A weak show I thought.
Anna's TSV was awful. Just not my thing I suppose. I agree about miss clippyclips. A load of plastic tat LOL

Phree
06-11-2008, 02:13 PM
.......I agree about miss clippyclips. A load of plastic tat LOL

Um £37 for a freaking plastic bag...... not in this life TYVM!

Wellington
06-11-2008, 03:11 PM
The sad thing is, it's a nice idea - I like the thought of being able to customise my bag to my outfit or whatever... What was with the small sheet of stickers that came with it BTW? Was that supposed to be an enticement to buy it?

Rentochops
06-11-2008, 04:34 PM
The sad thing is, it's a nice idea - I like the thought of being able to customise my bag to my outfit or whatever... What was with the small sheet of stickers that came with it BTW? Was that supposed to be an enticement to buy it?

It was Calypso that put me off, besides the price - cheer up love you're bound to make a few quid off QVC.

Buttercup
07-11-2008, 10:43 AM
It was a pleasant change to see other things being featured and demoed, but they really didn't demo the beads and jewellery making very well, which was a shame. Hope they learn from this and do it better next time!

SUPERCOOLWILLOW
07-11-2008, 01:05 PM
it certainly was different to watch and made a refeshing change

lilac froggy Jan
08-11-2008, 02:37 PM
The resident presenters on QVC are a turn off to start with.
Just my opinion but nearly all of them are a pain in the neck.

Marie
08-11-2008, 03:32 PM
but at least the £39 for AG's TSVs seemed to be a lot better value when you put it next to the Calypso bag kit. Might not be your taste but at least it doesn't look cheap and home made. I like the concept of the Calyson bag kit, but it is expensive for what it is and seems to be more appropriate for children than adults who might get a buzz out of changing the designs regularly. Just my opinion, anyway.

Wellington
08-11-2008, 07:29 PM
but at least the £39 for AG's TSVs seemed to be a lot better value when you put it next to the Calypso bag kit..

Very extremely good point!!

Spendsloads
11-11-2008, 07:48 AM
I didn't see very much of the last craft day, I would have liked to have seen some of the different kits - it would have made a nice change from cardmaking. I did catch the end of the beading demo. The beading tool seemed gimmicky to me. I make a lot of the Bucilla felt kits which require quite a lot of beading and I use the technique Carol Smith always recommended of putting the beads in a polysterene tray and picking them up directly from there with the beading needle and that works fine for me.

I saw the clippy bag last time it was on. I think they are outrageously priced. QVC used to sell something similar in the past (either as part of the Freedom bag range, or Joy Mangano, I don't remember which) and I am sure it was nearer the £10-15 mark. They don't particularly appeal to me (more of a Mulberry/Radley gal myself), but if I wanted something like this, I would make one myself by taking one of those freebie totes that they give away with magazines, buying a cheapie hanging picture pocket kit (you can get them for less than a fiver), cutting some sheets to size and fastening them on using my eyelet setter and trimming with craft stash as required.