PDA

View Full Version : How to remove scotchguard?

Marie
27-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Bit of an odd question and not really about crafting as such but does anyone know if there is anything I can do/buy to remove scotchguard so that I can use fabric paint on a chair? I got it from Laura Ashley about 18 months ago and hate the colour - it turned out more of a pastel green than a warm coloured teal and I'm really not a pastel lady!

Anyway now its out of its guarantee period, I've decided I can't bear looking at it any more and am determined to try and dye it using fabric spray paint - unfortunately the covers are fixed so I can't take them to the cleaners to get them to do it. And frankly I hate looking at it so much I'd rather have a go at colouring it myself, if it doesn't work I can always do the old covering it up with a rug!

Unfortunately its well & truly scotchguarded and the fabric paint doesn't work so well on such coverings. Does anybody know how I could get rid of the scotchguard?

Thanks! Marie:hi:

Lioness
27-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Maybe the info on this page will help:http://www.ehow.com/how_6169818_remove-scotchgard.html

I think that essentially you have to wash it several times.

To be honest you may be better off getting it covered with new material.

Little Jan
09-08-2011, 11:15 AM
I tried this myself without any luck on a bedroom chair, the dye went all patchy, took 3 goes and the colour was never even. Glad I never used it on the bed cover too. ended up getting some fabric for less than £15.00 and covered it myself, and made scatter cushions to tie it in with what I already had, ok this was only the chair seat, so maybe covering a full chair yourself is not an option maybe you could fine a local upholsterer who could do it cheaper than the cost of paint and a throw if it goes wrong.