PDA

View Full Version : Best ink pad for using foil with acrylic stamps

soby
08-08-2011, 07:09 PM
I have recently bought some Kanban foil on a roll and have seen a demonstration in the past where the foil was used on an image which had been stamped using some sort of sticky ink pad and a stamp. The impression was then foiled. The demonstration did not involve a heat gun but l cant remember the name of the ink pad, not sure if it was perfect medium or something else?
Can any one help?

Janie B
08-08-2011, 07:39 PM
I have used no end of different glue pads and such to get this to work, none of them do. The only success I did have was with stickum powder... used like embossing powder.

hugs Janie xxx

Wellington
08-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Could it have been the Tsukineko Essential Glue pad as that doesn't require heating? Def won't have been Essential Medium or Versamark cuz they ain't glues, they's sticky inks

--- edit ---
I should add I can't vouch for it as actually working, never used it myself...

genierose
08-08-2011, 08:46 PM
There was another thread about this earlier today but can't remember what the subject or poster was, sorry. But there was an answer from Dawn via Tolly with the name of the ink/glue pad. sorry, I've probably just confused everybody now lol

Winspiration
08-08-2011, 09:56 PM
I have to confess that I've never tried this myself, I did get as far as buying a Palette pad a few years ago (the one recommended by Dawn earlier today), but have never actually got round to testing it :blush:

Most reviews I have read of the glue pads agree with Janie B that they don't seem to be that effective. I did come across this link (http://www.stewartsuperior.com/html/stamp___stick_gluepad_tips.html) about the Palette pad earlier today, which you may find helpful.

If you don't want to use heat, another option to consider might be to trace over the stamped image using a glue pen that dries tacky (e.g. Sakura / Zig / Tonertex) and apply the foil once the glue has dried.

Millburn
08-08-2011, 10:13 PM
I adore foil and gildimg flakes; for stamping and loose flakes I use either the basic glue pen, allow to go off from blue; or with stamps the Duo Glue with cut and dry; but that does work better (for me) with gilding flakes rather that the foil sheets; for me the foil sheets work best with a glue pen

Janie B
09-08-2011, 08:45 AM
No the Tsukineko Essential Glue pad does not work with foil and stamping... it gives partial results. That was the last ink pad I used... I also have the Palette Pad, which to be honest is total rubbish sticking most things... I even got my money back from the store for it, they didn't want the pad back so I still have it. A lot of people had the same trouble with the Palette Pad.

Like I said Stickum Powder (http://sparklensprinkle.com/techniques_detail.php?title_keyword=stickum) is the only thing I found to work, but it gives a slightly raised effect, not flat like foiling should be.

If there is a glue pad out there I would love to hear about it to... lol

hugs Janie xx

That's Crafty!
09-08-2011, 10:21 AM
I use JudiKins Sticky Stuff (http://thatscrafty.co.uk/acatalog/JudiKins_Powders_&_Inks.html) when using gilding flakes and foil and it works really well. Stamp n Bond (http://thatscrafty.co.uk/acatalog/STAMPENDOUS__Embossing_Powders.html)is good too but both do need a heat gun. :happy:

soby
09-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Thank you everyone for your input . I thought that l should let you know that l have just come across the zig 2 way glue jumbo pen and on the description on the website it states that it is great for rubber stamping . On the kuretake website it states that it is a water-based glue so l am wondering if you could use that glue as long as you washed the acrylic stamp immediately after usage and wait till the impression turns blue and then foil emboss.
We all know that you can use this glue direct to paper and it seems to work.
Anyway l have emailed steph at kuretake and will update everyone when l receive a response.

soby
16-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Hi everyone, sorry for not getting back sooner but l had to email Kuretake again. Anyway good news folks! According to their response, you can use their 2 way glue pens directly onto both your rubber and acrylic stamps and stamp the impression onto your medium whilst the glue is still blue. (You also have to make sure you wash your stamp immediately with washing up liquid). You then have to wait until the impression goes clear before you can use your transfer foil over. So everyone who has rolls of spare Kanban rolls of foil can know utilise it with their collection of stamps.
I will now and go and order my set of zig glue pens and wait till they come and have a go !
I enclose a copy of the response below:

"Re foiling method:

You write or trace a design using the glue pen, leave it to dry completely so that it is clear, this is when the glue becomes clear and is tacky – when the glue is first applied it is blue and is a permanent bond and is likely to rip the foil. Then press the foil over your design (shiny side up), rub over the design and then lift off - it's that simple! If there are any gaps in your design, press an unused piece of foil over the glue. The glue remains tacky for quite a period of time so it gives you plenty of time to work with.

This can work just as well with rubber stamps, however, you apply the glue to the rubber stamp, and whilst it’s still blue, stamp this onto your area of choice, then allow it to dry clear, rub over the design (again shiny side up) and lift off. Wash your stamp before it goes tacky as it is easier to remove.

This is possible with both acrylic and rubber stamps, just as I said wash before it dries and becomes tacky with washing up liquid."

Janie B
16-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks very much for this... will have to get myself a zig pen and give it a go...

hugs Janie xxx