PDA

View Full Version : Feeling a bit deflated......

Marie
23-11-2008, 06:24 PM
:(well today was the big day, after literally weeks and weeks of playing with my crafty bits, today was the day I got my Dawn Bibby Christmas card kit out to make my cards. Now i had recorded the show months ago when I ordered the kit for inspiration, but of course deleted it by mistake. Not a problem, I thought, it'll be on teh QVC website. No, I got the "this clip is no longer available". Well there's bound to be an inspiration sheet with the kit, but no, none of them either.
But I wasn't being put off so got the whole lot out, decided to play with green and goldy stuff to have a theme for the afternoon, tried my hand at a bit of decoupage, colouring in with my Sakura pens, using background papers, matting and layering, the whole caboodle. And you know what, after about 10 attempts I've made 2 cards and I hate them both. This is supposed to be fun and I've realised that I have no imagination or inspiration whatsoever. Probably why I gave up art instead of playing the violin, at least I could practice the violin, but I couldn't practice getting imagination.
Now I know thatthere is no right and wrong way to craft and I'm not expectcing to make things as well as DB or any other seasoned crafter, but I just don't know what looks good and what doesn't. When they say "just experiment and scatter things around", well for them it comes off looking so good. I spent an hour trying to scatter die cut mistletoe so that it would look good on a card and it just looks naff.
So now I'm fed up, I was really looking forward to this and I'm flippin' useless at it. I love playing at crafty things but just don't seem to have an eye for it. My sisters and my mam and my aunties are all good at this sort of thing, me, I was good at maths instead. That's no fun.
Any way I know there are a lot worse things in life, but I want to do this and enjoy it even if I'm not brilliant. So now I'm going to retire to the telly, watch star trek and eat chocolate and other rubbish all evening.

Dips
23-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Oh, don't give up, Marie. This is just your first go, when I think back to the first cards I made, I now just cringe at the thought of them (sadly, at the time, I thought they were quite good, lol).

Why not buy yourself a nice card magazine and start off by just copying the card designs. Very quickly, you'll start thinking, "It would look better if I made this change or that change" and before you know it, you will have found your crafting mojo.

Finally, if it is a DB kit that you've got, why not have a look on the Topaz website for a bit of inspiration.

Don't give up at the first set back!

Rentochops
23-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Yup Marie don't give up, use the web for inspiration!

Also maybe buy a DVD and try CD-ROM's they have great ideas on them.

jackieb
23-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Don't give up, I spend hours bloghopping and looking at different online galleries for ideas.

Jackie

Jeanette
23-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Oh Marie, I know just how you feel. Things like that always happen to me. Like you, I too was good at maths and crafty things have never come easy. My help comes in the form of blogs and card maps like these (http://www.pagemaps.com/sept08cardmaps.htm)

Marie
23-11-2008, 07:36 PM
thank you all for the encouragement. I am NOT giving up, never mind the fact that I've got enough beautiful papers to open my own craft shop, I like playing with all of this stuff and I suppose that even if I don't have Leonardo's ideas, I can learn from copying design ideas from others. Actually I was looking in Crafts Beautiful, there are some nice designs I could follow. Also the card maps suggsested by Jeanette, thank you, are really good for someone like me. Funnily enough, because this is something that I've always struggled with, I'm determined to learn about it!
Anyway i have to stop feeling sorry for myself because I've eaten TONS of cakes and sweets and crisps instead of having a proper tea and now I feel a bit sick...

Jeanette
23-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Marie, here (http://www.pagemaps.com/pdfsketches.htm) are the archives, there are tons more there

Marie
23-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks Jeanette, I've already printed the September ones off, I really appreciate the help!

Wellington
23-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Oh sod it! I've just typed a long reply to this thread & got logged out & lost it!

Anyway, what I said (but probably with lots of different words!) was things like:

My first attempt at a card was a pre-scored 15x15cm with some black, white & red checked paper, a smaller mat of white card & some peel offs. And I think a couple of red star-shaped gems. I was sort of half proud & half 'humph, that wasn't much' & it left me raring to get on & make more complex ones.

I think cardmaking is my 'arty' release. I've always had a thing for pens & pencils but can't actually draw or paint. I stumbled across cardmaking while I was making a memory album. I was simply browsing the internet for plain A4 cream card & I found all these yummy crafty sites :D And then I found C&C & I wanted to play.

Don't worry that it seemed to take much faffing for just 2 cards - sometimes I find I can make 3/4 cards of an evening & I'm pleased with all of them, then other nights it can take a couple of hours to perfect just the one card. Were you making the cards for a specific event/person? Maybe if you had an 'aim' for the card, rather than just playing it would help you with the compostion? Mind you, that's not to say that 'just playing' isn't fun :D I've sometimes found it quite a release to have the time to be able to play with techniques rather than to have to make a card.

Cos I tend to make most of my cards perhaps once a week after the kids have gone to bed, I find I spend much more time making the card in my head than I actually get make it physically LOL

BTW Jeanette - thanks for that link :D

gill71
23-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Marie
Please don't give up or be too harsh on yourself, I think we have all been there when we make our first cards.
Everyone has given you good advice, I was going to suggest a magazine or a book to look through.
I am sure the 2 cards you have made are just wonderful...you made them yourself...people will appreciate that.

gill
x

Phree
23-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Oh Marie, first off - a big warm hug - I think you need one. Try not to worry too much when stuff goes wrong - good greif it happens to all of us when we start out and still does from time to time no matter how long we have been making cards.

One thing that stood out for me in you post was how determined you are to succeed - I wonder if that is part of the trouble, you are so determined that you are getting uptight and that is getting in the way letting the creative process just flow.

My advice is to keep it simple, as others have said, start off by copying ideas you have seen in magazines etc. As you make the card try to think about why the card works for you - why the elements such as colour, dimension, images etc are floating your boat enough to make you want to have a go at making that particular card. There is NOTHING wrong with copying other peoples ideas, it lets you get comfy without the stress of thinking "heck this is not working". Then once you are comfy you can start to play, just a little at first, maybe trying something like postioning the embellishments differently or trying alternate colour combinations. Just take little steps and and gradually you will find your own style of card making - I bet in a few months time you will look back at today and laugh at how difficult you thought it was.

Oh and btw - maths isn't boring - so don't knock yourself for being blessed with that gift of a brain that sees the beauty in numbers.

Marie
23-11-2008, 10:35 PM
thank you Phree, I think you're right. I'm sure that I'm not the first person who has been frustrated at their initial attempts. I've been so determined to make my cards this year but I'd rather enjoy doing it and make things that I like and am happy with even if they end up being next years' cards instead! You never know, i might even find some inspiration if I don't push myself.
And I do like maths, always have, even physics if truth be known as well!
So as Arnie would say, I'll be back...

Jeanette
24-11-2008, 05:05 AM
Thanks Jeanette, I've already printed the September ones off, I really appreciate the help!

Not a problem Marie. I forgot to say yesterday, one of my tips. If I make a card that I'm really not happy with, I tend to leave it to one side until the next morning. I know that if I don't do that I will fiddle with it and totally ruin it. The next morning when I look at it, sometimes I find that the card is actually not as bad as I thought or if not, I can then look at it and know what needs changing. :D

BTW Jeanette - thanks for that link :D

Anytime Welly ;)

Dips
24-11-2008, 07:29 AM
BTW, Marie, I can atest that you can have a brain that's wired for both Maths and Craft - that is not an oxymoron!

blueshowbizz
24-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Hi Marie, I know exactly how you feel - I am totally new to card making too :D

I had a brainwave in the summer while I was watching a craft day on QVC that I would attempt to make my Christmas cards this year. I bought a stamp set and some blank cards from QVC and also started reading the posts on here to get ideas on how to use all the gadgets and lovely papers etc that my local craft shop sold.

I used to pop into the shop on my way home from work every Friday and gradually built up a supply of basic tools and some supplies that I liked. Then, when it came down to actually thinking about how I would like my cards to look I realised that not a lot of the things I had bought actually looked good together :o

So, a couple of months ago I took the bull by the horns and went along to a local card making class. I was really aprehensive about going but am so glad that I did now. It gave me the confidence to try new things and learn that things don't alway turn out perfectly and I'm using one of the card designs that we made in class for my Chrismas cards this year.

I only made my first card for Phree's Halloween swap on here last month and I've even signed up for Winspiration's 5 card swap and Lorraine's secret Santa :eek:

I'm sure that once you get into the swing of things your cards will be lovely and you will be very proud of them :)

Jeanette
24-11-2008, 09:57 AM
that is not an oxymoron!

Thats a big word for this time of the morning Dips! ;)

Marie
24-11-2008, 11:17 AM
well if I can get my brain round the abstract stuff of numbers and the laws of physics, you'd think I could make a half decent card!!

Actually the couple I actually finished yesterday aren't AWFUL, actually I enjoyed doing them!

Good idea to find a class, blueshowbizz, I'm going to have a look round the local crafty places and see what I can find. I hope you enjoy your card making for this Christmas!

LorraineJ
24-11-2008, 11:29 AM
well if I can get my brain round the abstract stuff of numbers and the laws of physics, you'd think I could make a half decent card!!

Actually the couple I actually finished yesterday aren't AWFUL, actually I enjoyed doing them!

Good idea to find a class, blueshowbizz, I'm going to have a look round the local crafty places and see what I can find. I hope you enjoy your card making for this Christmas!

See whether click on crafts on Roseville Road are running workshops ATm Marie.

My art teacher is forever telling the class, that we learn through play. I have made some lovely bin fodder over the years, but have found out what works and what doesn't.

Marie
24-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks Lorraine, that's a good idea, I live about a mile from Roseville Road so not much travelling.....I have spotted somewhere else in Leeds that does classes but can't remember where, I'll post the details here when I've found them in case anyone else is interested.
And as for bin fodder, i was actually quite pleased with the fact that although I put a lot of half finished cards in the bin yesterday, I was clever enough to cut off the unspoilt bits so now I've got lots of bits of pretty gold, silver, red and green card for matting and layering!! Maybe I'm getting into the crafty mindset after all! Lol!

Rainbowwand
24-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks Lorraine, that's a good idea, I live about a mile from Roseville Road so not much travelling.....I have spotted somewhere else in Leeds that does classes but can't remember where, I'll post the details here when I've found them in case anyone else is interested.
And as for bin fodder, i was actually quite pleased with the fact that although I put a lot of half finished cards in the bin yesterday, I was clever enough to cut off the unspoilt bits so now I've got lots of bits of pretty gold, silver, red and green card for matting and layering!! Maybe I'm getting into the crafty mindset after all! Lol!

Thats the way, you will soon have little bits of pretty paper and card all over the place, seriously though some sound advice has been given here, try copying at first, try card classes, and try to relax a little and go with the flow and you will soon be on your way to enjoyable card making :D

Marie
24-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Well I've just had a quick look at my crafts magazine and it has some lovely ideas for cards taht I can copy, so maybe next Sunday.....
Anyway I've just refound a website for Craftwork Cards on Stourton Road in Leeds (www.craftworkcards.co.uk), they have a mega clearance sale on next Sunday in case anyone is interested. I've seen workshops and classes listed here before though none listed at the moment. Their site looks good and it is listed for Best Independent Store in the North of England in the crafting awards, alongside Topaz and others, so definately worth a visit for those of us who live close by.
But there are a few classes at Clickoncrafts, including some for llast minute Christmas cards, ideal for me, so I'm going to book on one later today. Thanks for the suggestion!
Right, I have to do some work. It's Monday and this is a work day. Please shoot me if I appear on this forum anytime before 5pm today.
So much craft, so little time....

CaramelBunny
24-11-2008, 01:16 PM
I've only just read this thread & wanted to send you a hug, firstly because you really sounded like you needed one & now because I'm dead impressed at how positive you're sounding! :D All the advice is really good, but I'd be willing to bet quite a bit that the cards you made are actually not bad cards at all. (I'd be fairly willing to bet that most of the bin fodder cards were fine too!) It's just really hard to be objective when you're new to something & don't have much confidence in it.

Jeannette's suggestion of waiting until the next morning & looking at them again is a really good one. Something else I sometimes do is putting the card on the mantelpiece (or book shelf in my case) sitting down on the sofa & looking at it. Sounds insane I know, but that's how your card will mostly be viewed anyway & that distance can make all the difference. A card I've previously taken against as too simple or having an unbalanced design can suddenly look very effective if you take a few steps back.

The internet & magazines are great for ideas, but don't forget to look at handmade cards that are for sale in shops like WHSmith too. They're nothing like as complicated as cards you'll see in craft magazines! Quite often I'll see very simple white cards with just a bit of torn handmade paper & a topper or die cut mounted on it selling for several pounds. Thing is they look great! We can all get a bit carried away after a while with some really fancy technique, but simple cards do look really effective. They're a great way to build your crafty confidence too... ;)

Marie
24-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks CB, I'm a Geordie and it's not easy to put us down!! Everybody has been so kind about all this, it has really made me feel better.
And you're right about the price of handmade cards in the shops, they are RIDICULOUS! Also think you're right about thing getting too complicated, its not that I was trying to do difficult stuff, it's just that I couldn't tell whether it worked and perhaps I got a bit carried away by the 6th or 7th layer of matting and layering, lol!!
Anyway on with the fight, if only I could be as positive about my day job.....

blarf
24-11-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm miserable 'cos I've lost my crafting mojo Marie - don't feel bad 'cos you're not on your own.

Mrs D
26-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Marie - I know exactly how you feel and I think that the whole thing is very subjective. I have ideas in my head for a card but when it doesn't quite look that way on paper or the colours aren't exactly right then I get disheartened even if there isn't anything wrong with the card. All of us are improving all the time and it doesn't matter how long you've been crafting because you're just as capable as anyone of creating a lovely card.

Marie
26-11-2008, 07:15 PM
actually a strange thing happened this week, which I'll take as a good omen. Yesterday morning, for the first time ever, I actually "saw" in my head a card I'd like to make. Not in every detail, but the idea of something quite simple that I think will work. Now I do a lot of writing for business and whenever I sit down to write something, I nearly always know what I'm going to say. I was getting frustrated on Sunday that I couldn't "see" anything in my head. So I'm hoping that this is a bit of crafting mojo! And with all the encouragement and kind words from people here, at least I know that I'm not the only person to hit a brick wall!
Sammykaye, I hope you get your mojo back soon. Maybe just try some colouring in or something you enjoy doing even if you're not making anything, I'm sure you'll be back making things soon!

missusnobby
26-11-2008, 09:58 PM
hi Marie
Glad you're feeling better, daft that we put so much pressure on ourselves when this is supposed to be relaxing huh?:rolleyes:

A phrase just came to mind, don't know if you were ever an Osmonds fan? One of the opening lines to a song of theirs is 'one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch'

Funnily enough I started cardmaking then found scrapbooking, and couldn't get into it at all. Nothing seemed to look right, I guess there was just too much space for me to fill - 12 x 12 , is alot bigger than a card!

good luck

Marie
26-11-2008, 10:24 PM
thanks missusnobby, yes I was an Osmonds fan, gosh that takes me back ........!
Funnily enough I've got loads of ideas for scrapbooking, I've got loads of old photos that I just want to put somewhere and write down who is on them. Might as well be in nice scrapbooks! I'm asking my sister for a scrapbooking kit for Christmas as i want to do a big scrapbook about my parents lives. I like the smaller ones 8 x 8 because you can use them for smaller projects, like a family party, while the 12 x 12 can be for bigger projects. But either way, I'm going to make sure I enjoy it!

Marie
09-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Went to the card making class at Samuel Taylors/ClickonCraft this morning, it was really good, actually made a few cards I might send out and got lots of ideas for others! So it was well worth the £10 for the class, I'll be back for the next lot in the new year. Great to craft with others as well, everybody was very friendly. I think it was Lorraine who suggested I try a class there, thanks for the suggestion!

Phree
09-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Good to hear you enjoyed your class Marie, it is a great way to get started.

Marie
10-12-2008, 04:47 PM
also I've promised my aunt, who was a prolific crafter in her younger days and did the most exquisite sewing and embroidery, a handmade card, so now I have to send at least one of them out, lol! She's been a bit depressed recently (it was her brother, my uncle, who died last weekend) so I was making her laugh telling her about my efforts and I'm trying to encourage her to start crafting again. She used to sell things for charity and was always winning local prizes at shows etc for her creations. It would be good if she started again, would give her something to do other than thinking about things.

Wellington
10-12-2008, 10:25 PM
also I've promised my aunt, who was a prolific crafter in her younger days and did the most exquisite sewing and embroidery, a handmade card, so now I have to send at least one of them out, lol! She's been a bit depressed recently (it was her brother, my uncle, who died last weekend) so I was making her laugh telling her about my efforts and I'm trying to encourage her to start crafting again. She used to sell things for charity and was always winning local prizes at shows etc for her creations. It would be good if she started again, would give her something to do other than thinking about things.

What a lovely thoughtful niece you are Marie - I'm sure your aunt will really appreciate a handmade card :)