PDA

View Full Version : Playing in the Craft Room

SooG
26-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Provocraft is launching the new (free!) web based design tool for Cricut machines - the Cricut Craft Room and I finally took the plunge on Thursday and started playing with it.

I can't stop!!

It's still a bit buggy but overall pretty usable and oh so much fun. Welding shapes is easy peasy (even easier than the Gypsy) and being able to place images so precisely is fab.

The first two cards are a matched set for my niece Dylann - I owe her two cards (both of which are now late) so I hope these will make up for it. I welded the letters to a rectangle shape to make the base card, whcih I cut from Coredinations. I embossed some white vellum for both cards and topped them off with a couple of simple Cricut images - cut from scraps of Coredinations card.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-v2AhJQ-8a8A/ToAkxlKbZYI/AAAAAAAAC_M/30DFL-C9AL4/s400/DSC02465.JPG

The second card is for another niece (Dyl's sister in fact). For this one I used the Imagine art and patterns to print and cut the base card (again letters welded onto a rectangle). The frames are Spellbinders and the little dog is another Imagine image.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iCNL16y2tGw/ToBK1RQzcCI/AAAAAAAAC_Y/6jwfvY2-feg/s320/DSC02470.JPG

jube
26-09-2011, 12:05 PM
I am a little worried about useing it as I have heard mixed reactions regarding the cartridges. I have just got my crticut expression to work with my gypsy as it took about 15 mins for them to sync with each other. I'm so happy you are enjoying the caft room and maybe I will have a look. I also have the design studio is it very different? Jube

SooG
26-09-2011, 12:12 PM
I am a little worried about useing it as I have heard mixed reactions regarding the cartridges. I have just got my crticut expression to work with my gypsy as it took about 15 mins for them to sync with each other. I'm so happy you are enjoying the caft room and maybe I will have a look. I also have the design studio is it very different? Jube

I've never used Design Studio so I can't really comment on that. It's definitely easier (for me) to use than the Gypsy - because you have a bigger screen to work with. When I've been working with regular Cricut cartridges I haven't really hit on many issues - from what I understand that area has been tested the most. When I work with images from the Imagine cartridges the bugs are a bit more apparent - but I've been able to do most of what I want to do successfully.

The only issue I've found relating to cartridges is that you still have to insert them physically into the Cricut (ie you can't yet link them with your cricut.com account) - it's annoying but not earth shattering.

But it is still in beta test so if software and computers make you nervous you might be better off waiting a bit. If they don't I think you'll be able to work around the issues and really enjoy it!

Ephemera
26-09-2011, 12:16 PM
These are fab Soo, I love the way the names are attached to the sides and the bottom of the cards. I also just had a nosey on your knitting blog and I'm stunned by your brilliant crocheting I would so love to create something like that they are truly beautiful, you are so clever.

XX

jube
26-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the reply as you cam imagine I don't undertand the workings of computers so I may have a play but won't put the carts in. I use my design studio still as I often design on my design studio and then copy the ideas to my gypsy useing the measurements I've used. I may seem long winded but if my eyes are sore it works for me. Thanks again Jube

SooG
26-09-2011, 02:07 PM
These are fab Soo, I love the way the names are attached to the sides and the bottom of the cards. I also just had a nosey on your knitting blog and I'm stunned by your brilliant crocheting I would so love to create something like that they are truly beautiful, you are so clever.

XX

Thanks -- yarn has been an obsession forever with me!

Rachel
26-09-2011, 06:11 PM
I haven't got a Cricut and will probably never get one having just splashed out on a Vagabond (and I'm also hopeless with anything technical!). But I am really amazed at what the Cricut can do. Your cards are wonderful, I especially like the one with the dog, so cute!:nod: Your cards are very imaginative, and I am just getting into die-cutting myself and really appreciating what other crafters can do with them.