PDA

View Full Version : Nestabilities - Which Shapes?

Phree
06-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Which shapes of Nestabilities do people find most useful - I have some pennies to spend on a couple of sets and was thinking that perhaps the Ovals or Rectangles would be a good set to start with.

gill71
06-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Phree, I have been wondering about this as I have asked for a set...I think perhaps the scalloped edge ones as they are hard to cut yourself. Or maybe the new frame ones?

Pam
06-12-2008, 08:21 AM
I think I prefer the Ovals and Rectangles to the Squares and Rounds and love the scalloped edge ones.

Winspiration
06-12-2008, 08:36 AM
I started with the ovals and now have the rectangles too, I think maybe the rectangles best to start with as they are slightly larger so perhaps a bit more versatile.

OTH I also have a couple of the new frame shapes, and they look really good too :D

I guess the advantage of the newer ones is that you do only need one set of dies, whereas with the older ones, you really need the straight edge and scalloped sets together.

I must admit though, I haven't quite figured why they do two sizes of the older shapes - one pair in straight and scalloped seems quite sufficient.

Phree
06-12-2008, 08:43 AM
I was planning on getting 2 sets - a straight edge set and the co-ordinating scallop - but it seems I am missing something - Win what are the "new" sets you are talking about where you only need one set?

Pam
06-12-2008, 09:15 AM
I was planning on getting 2 sets - a straight edge set and the co-ordinating scallop - but it seems I am missing something - Win what are the "new" sets you are talking about where you only need one set?

I don't know about the new sets either.

I'd be interested to know too please Win.

Winspiration
06-12-2008, 09:36 AM
OK - this (http://www.onceuponastamp.co.uk/ccp51/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F899179&rnd=829961&rrc=N&affl=&cip=&act=&aff=&pg=cat&ref=nestabilities&catstr=HOME:wizard)is where I got mine from, they have an offer for four sets for £60.

I got the large rectangle sets, then labels one which I really like and the large labels, which I haven't actually used yet (it came after the other three, & I haven't had time to play since it arrived).

gill71
06-12-2008, 09:45 AM
I ordered mine from this site...seems to be the cheapest around other than from the US. Phree, have you had a look at http://www.ucutathome.com/store/index.php?cat=y&cid=11 - they have 40% off if you join their list.

Phree
06-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks win, I guess what you meant was you get 4 sets so you can buy the 2 shape and get the straight and co-ordinating scallop set in each shape - giving 4 sets for £60. I don't think I can run to £60 tho right now so I guess I will have to settle for 1 shape and just get the straight and scallop version.

Gill I had a look at that Amerian site and while I am sure there were savings to be made a few months ago, that is probably no longer the case with the £/$ exchange rate having crashed so badly recently. Not so long ago we were getting very nearly 2 dollars to the pound - now a pound is worth approximately $1.46 It's barely worth the shipping and the attendant risk of being hammered with VAT if one spends more than £18 total because currently their price works out at just over £15 per set and then you need to add shipping (another $12) so ordering just 1 set is going to be over the £18 limit.

gill71
06-12-2008, 10:14 AM
I know what you mean Phree, the exchange rate is not so good ATM. You are best sticking to onceuponastamp.

Anne
06-12-2008, 10:24 AM
I started with the ovals and now have the rectangles too, I think maybe the rectangles best to start with as they are slightly larger so perhaps a bit more versatile.

OTH I also have a couple of the new frame shapes, and they look really good too :D

I guess the advantage of the newer ones is that you do only need one set of dies, whereas with the older ones, you really need the straight edge and scalloped sets together.

I must admit though, I haven't quite figured why they do two sizes of the older shapes - one pair in straight and scalloped seems quite sufficient.

I'm confused by this comment. :confused: Probably a reflection on my small brain power than anything else!

If you buy a set of scallops, do they only cut out the edge rather than the whole filled-in shape?

Winspiration
06-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Yes Phree - that is what I meant, although the two newest shapes that I bought are 'stand alone' IYSWIM, so you don't need to buy them in pairs.

I'm not sure whether onceuponastamp has the cheapest deals - I saw the four for £60 & thought that was reasonable - they were pretty quick too. I bought my first pair of shapes (ovals) on ebay, they were around £17 each with free p&p.

I didn't really want to buy from the US and risk additional charges on delivery, and as you say, Phree the £ / $ situation has changed prices now anyway.

Winspiration
06-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm confused by this comment. :confused: Probably a reflection on my small brain power than anything else!

If you buy a set of scallops, do they only cut out the edge rather than the whole filled-in shape?

No they do cut out the whole shape :) You could layer just straight edged shapes or just scalloped together (maybe that's why you'd buy the small and large of the same shape), but I think the idea is to layer a mixture of straight and scalloped edges - I like them best that way anyway. Whereas because the newer shapes have shaped edges, they also look good layered, even though they are all the same shape.

Does that make sense, or am I just digging myself in deeper? :D

blarf
06-12-2008, 10:39 AM
I got the squares (straight and scallop) closely followed by circles from the american site, they label them as below the duty threshold when you order this way so I've not had extra to pay. They also work out good value still when you consider one set is 40% off, even with the not-as-good exchange rate.

Finally, as of 1st december the import duty thresholds went up to £105 so why are we worrying about £18 anymore? :D

Winspiration
06-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Finally, as of 1st december the import duty thresholds went up to £105 so why are we worrying about £18 anymore? :D

IIRC because there is still potentially VAT to pay? And if you end up paying a charge of any kind, there is an admin charge from the carrier too.

Anne
06-12-2008, 10:44 AM
No they do cut out the whole shape :) You could layer just straight edged shapes or just scalloped together (maybe that's why you'd buy the small and large of the same shape), but I think the idea is to layer a mixture of straight and scalloped edges - I like them best that way anyway. Whereas because the newer shapes have shaped edges, they also look good layered, even though they are all the same shape.

Does that make sense, or am I just digging myself in deeper? :D

Thanks Wins - it all makes perfect sense now!

Phree
06-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Win remembers correctly about the changes. The limit has only gone up with respect to import duty - unfortunately it has not increased and remains at £18 in respect of VAT and excise taxes (I am assuming excise would be unlikely for craft stuff with perhaps the exception of Alcohol Inks cuz not doubt HM Customs and Excise would assume we might be drinking them :D). However I could still find myself liable to pay VAT @ 15% and no doubt the Royal Mail handling fee of £8 remains the same. As the "by 4 sets for £60" offer works out at £15 per set with free shipping it's actually cheaper to buy from Win's seller right now because the American price is over £15 before shipping and if I have understood the terms of the offer that 40% off applies to only one item which I take to mean a single set, you would pay the full amount on additional sets purchased on the same order.

Phree
06-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Oh bother...... I just read win's post to Anne and now I am more confuzzled - but this time about the layered look.

I had thought the way to acheive the layered look with the Straight and Scalloped sets was to go for either both in large, or both in small.... have I got this wrong and one needs to pair say the Large Scallops with the Small straight edges?

Winspiration
06-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Oh bother...... I just read win's post to Anne and now I am more confuzzled - but this time about the layered look.

I had thought the way to acheive the layered look with the Straight and Scalloped sets was to go for either both in large, or both in small.... have I got this wrong and one needs to pair say the Large Scallops with the Small straight edges?

I am doing my best to confuzzle this morning - and succeeding :D

No you had it quite right - buy the same size of each in straight and scalloped (I went for large) for layering.

I was wondering though (as I was replying to Anne), if you wanted to layer the same shape (i.e. all straight edges or all scalloped), maybe that is why you would go for both the large and small - otherwise, I can't see a reason to go for the different sizes in the same shapes :confused:

Jeanette
06-12-2008, 11:38 AM
My favourite and most used sets are the petite scalloped ovals with its co-ordinating plain oval and the long rectangles set!

Winspiration
06-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Actually I'd forgotten about the long rectangles - they did look rather tasty too :rolleyes: :D

Anne
06-12-2008, 01:21 PM
There's hardly any difference between the large size and the small size sets though, is there?

Jeanette
06-12-2008, 02:46 PM
There's hardly any difference between the large size and the small size sets though, is there?

No Anne, there is hardly any difference between the sets and IMO its not necessary to have both large and small. I'd rather spend my money on a totally different shape

Just incase anyone was unsure about the petite scalloped sets, that has nothing to do with the size of the dies, the petite bit refers to the scallop size which is smaller than the original scallop.

luvtocraft
06-12-2008, 05:02 PM
I have bought some sets from the american site and as you say the bargain is not as good as it was earlier in the year nevertheless it still is good value I think. I have paid £35 inc P&p but I have just bought the classic rectangle set of four and they cost £44 inc P&P. The 40% comes off the dearest item in your basket and if you order the set that is classed as one item.It is shown as $84 dollars ,our price $70 something dollars. The 40% is calculated on the $84 then $12.95 shipping I was charged 1.43 exchange rate. I have had 3 sets (separately)and not had to pay customs or any other charges as they are quite a small parcel and quite light and i think the seller marks them at the value she pays.hope this helps

Phree
06-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Wow, thanks everyone for all the advice - I have been coveting the nesties for a long time - I have lots to ponder on I guess when deciding what to buy. Win I think I saw the new shapes you were talking about... they look rather scrummy!

Anne
06-12-2008, 06:43 PM
No Anne, there is hardly any difference between the sets and IMO its not necessary to have both large and small. I'd rather spend my money on a totally different shape

Just incase anyone was unsure about the petite scalloped sets, that has nothing to do with the size of the dies, the petite bit refers to the scallop size which is smaller than the original scallop.

I am learning sooooo much about nesties from this thread. Thanks Jeanette.

blarf
07-12-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm feeling quite bad after this thread - I discovered all the new labels shapes and the butterfly and flowers and the new edges - Even more sets I want! Oh Boy! Hope my tax rebate comes soon so I can treat myself :)

Phree
07-12-2008, 01:22 PM
I know how you feel Sam, I am rather smitten with those new label shapes!

Phree
08-12-2008, 06:40 PM
I just have to say thank you to wins for the link to the Once Upon A Stamp site- I got my nesties today. Hubby said I could have have the 4 set deal so I got the Large Ovals in both classic and scalloped and have 2 sets of the new label shapes on back order - apparently they should be in stock at the end of this week. I actually decided to phone them first to make sure I was getting the right things and what a lovely helpful company they are.

Winspiration
08-12-2008, 07:40 PM
You're welcome, Phree - hope you will have fun playing with them - I'm sure you will! :)

luvtocraft
08-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Yes thanks from me also for the once upon a stamp site. I had a look and have ordered the curved rectangles on back order. Cheaper than getting them from my fav american site as a single set so will be keeping my eyes on this site in the future.

luvtocraft
11-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Wow Wow Wow:D My curved rectangles have arrived and they are Fab...and big (well i suppose they would be being mega nestabilities) can you tell I am really pleased with them:). Thanks for pointing me in the direction of once upon a stamp.

Winspiration
11-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Oooh hope you enjoy playing, luvtocraft :)

Winspiration
12-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Ebay seller macorr (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/EVANDALE-CRAFTS_SPELLBINDERS-WIZARD_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ16042024QQftidZ2QQsc lZ3QQtZkm)has a sale on atm which includes a lot of the classic nestabilities shapes - I've just bought the long rectangles sets that I was coveting but not going to get just yet :rolleyes:

Jayne W
12-12-2008, 12:03 PM
I have just received some nestabilities for christmas I went for the circles large scallop and plain ones, but the following link I found useful for explaining the sizes/shapes and also which machines you can use with them:

http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capture_the_moment/spellbinders_faq/index.html

Phree
12-12-2008, 04:31 PM
My Ovals set arrived today - the other 2 sets I ordered are being shipped seperately once they have stock in - supposed to be the end if this week so they may well have been shipped today.

I just saw the link Jayne kindly posted but thought this one may be better - it's the Once Upon a Stamp compatability guide and includes clear instructions for how to "build your sandwich" with each machine type. The page is actually in Adobe Reader so that makes it even more useful as it's easy to print of a copy of the "sandwich" instructions and keep it along side your nestabilities. That's what I have done - tucked a print out into the box where I keep my Cuttlebug stuff.

To see the page click on the link then in the web page that opens click your mouse on the text that says "Universal Die Compatibility Guide" and the pdf. document will open for you.

http://www.onceuponastamp.co.uk/projects/index.html

Winspiration
12-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Enjoy playing, Phree :D

Thanks for your link, very handy - I also enjoyed looking through the info at the link posted by Jayne too :)