PDA

View Full Version : New Sewing Machine!

Rosilee
09-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Hello everyone. I wonder if anyone here could help me with a problem. I recently bought a basic Singer sewing machine and ended up having to
send it back because it didn't work. It was replaced and when I tried to use it I find that it doesn't sew properly.

I have checked with the book and threaded it right. I also have put the bobbin in (I have tried both ways of doing that) but the damn machine will
not sew properly. It does a couple of stitches and then the thread pulls and breaks. When I turn the material over there is about ten miles of
bobbin thread all strung out like a fishing net.:headbang: I have tried everything I can think of to no avail. The instruction book is next to useless too!
Help please!!! J.xxxx

craftycat
09-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Have you tried changing the tension - top thread and bobbin? Usually solves the sort of problem you are getting.

genierose
09-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Make sure when you're threading the top thread that you have the needle in the highest position and the foot up. As soon as you put the foot down the top tension sets itself from what I've been told, so you should never thread the top with the foot down

Granny Penny
09-10-2011, 01:49 PM
I think it is the tension too Rosilee. Do make sure the foot is up when threading up the top thread - until you get to threading the needle. You could try Debbie's blog (http://www.serifwebresources.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=6&forumid=194553) as there are many, very knowledgable people on there (and some names you may recognise)

Lioness
09-10-2011, 01:55 PM
I find that happens if the thread has dropped out somewhere along its route. It's difficult to explain but on my machine you have to go via a very complicated route before it gets to the needle. More often than not, the thread has dropped out of one of the many points along the way.

Rosilee
09-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Thank you very much ladies. I actually think I did have the foot down, but can't remember where the needle was. When reading the book
it does say that all tensions are factory set and should not need changing. But, it's worth having a look at. Thank you GrannyPenny for
the link to Debbies blog. I shall take a look if I can't get it to work. I have run out of patience at the moment so will leave it until tomorrow
now. Thanks again. J.

JAMMY
09-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Jaki, I've also heard Debbi say that changing the needle fo a new one can help with that problem. Something I didn't know but thought it was worth storing in the brain. I was always having that problem with my old machine, lucky enough to get a new one in the summer and had no problems yet - touch wood!

agelesscraft
09-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Mine is quite an old Singer and when you put the bobbin in you have to make sure that the thread is placed across the top of the bobbin otherwise the needle does not pick up the bobbin thread correctly

Rosilee
25-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Hi everyone, thanks for all the help and suggestions. I really have tried everything. I'm beginning to think it's me age!!! Anyway my daughter is coming up to me in a couple of weeks and she said she'll have a look at it. Her fingers are more nimble than mine so I'm hoping she will be able to sort it out. I'll let you know! Jaki.

dyzni
25-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Have you tried changing the thread to a different brand? I haven't used my machine for many years but can recall it didn't like one brand of thread (sorry can't remember which one), which gave results that sound similar to yours.