PDA

View Full Version : Craft Stamper

Flowerpot
01-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Not long to wait until the new look CS hit the shelfs, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Phree
01-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Yep it will be interesting to see what they have done with the mag...... lets hope its the "good" kind of interesting and not the bad kind.

Sandra
01-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Don't forget to keep an eye out for Isabelle Norris' article using my red indian Dan!!

Rainbowwand
01-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Anyone know what day it is out ?

DianaDreads
01-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Friday the 4th July so not long to wait!

Marzipan
01-07-2008, 09:00 PM
shame they dont stock in it Co Op or i could of got it the day it comes out

Anne
01-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Normally that would mean I could get it in WHSmiths after going to Tesco, but as I'll be at the hospital with Emma, I will just have to wait for my magazine!

Rainbowwand
02-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Friday the 4th July so not long to wait!

Thanks DD that will mean a trip out, dont think it is stocked locally :(

Rainbowwand
02-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Normally that would mean I could get it in WHSmiths after going to Tesco, but as I'll be at the hospital with Emma, I will just have to wait for my magazine!

I assume that means that "your" shop doesnt stock it

Anne
02-07-2008, 12:23 PM
I assume that means that "your" shop doesnt stock it

lol No, we don't stock it. We only stock DoCrafts Creativity, Making Cards, and a Parchment craft magazine. Used to stock it, but it didn't sell.

LorraineJ
02-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Is there a new editorial team or change of ownership that has prompted the revamp? Must admit, I go along with the old maxim "if it aint broke don't fix it".

Anne
02-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Me too, Lorraine. I don't like change for change's sake.

Phree
02-07-2008, 07:02 PM
There is a new editor apparently.... there was also rumours the new editor quit before she started so not sure if this is yet another new editor IYSWIM.

Marzipan
02-07-2008, 08:40 PM
wow how confusing

LorraineJ
02-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Sounds like a case of a new broom sweeping clean, hope the revamped magazine is worth it.

clevercat
02-07-2008, 11:03 PM
I'll look out for it, I used to buy it regularly but I started to find everything very samey after a while. Still got a lot of the stamps in stored in shoeboxes. I ought to have a go using them instead of looking at new stamps elsewhere.

Ribbons
03-07-2008, 04:29 PM
I've just caught up with this thread and by coincidence subscribed to craft stamper a few weeks ago and got my copy yesterday! I didn't know there was going to be a re-vamp but I first noticed the cover was a lot brighter as per Crafts Beautiful etc, I suppose the magazine front cover didn't stand out before on the newstands. I also noticed that the free stamp was clear and not rubber as they used to be - I haven't bought the magazine for a long time so maybe they changed some time ago. The free stamp is a strawberry. I'm not sure what to say about the change because as I haven't read it for a while now its hard to compare, but I used to love the craft stamper mags in the past, it took me ages to get through and I did notice yesterday that I had finished reading the magazine quite quickly. So not sure the content is as good.

I used to subscribe to Rubber Stamper magazine from the states and since it closed down have looked for ages for a replacement.

Rainbowwand
03-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the info Ribbons :)

Phree
03-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the info ribbons, doesn't sound too promising tho. I shall have to get mine tomorrow and see what I think.

Marzipan
03-07-2008, 09:14 PM
oh dear that doesnt sound very good i was hoping it was gonna be a good mag as we dont seem to have any well not to my taste anyway

bee
04-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi everyone,
Got mine yesterday at my local craft shop. Went and bought it after flickin thru a friends! I thought it was very good ; have seen it before but never bought it as I always thought it looked a bit 'old-fashioned' but this one has some luvlie designs in it.
In other words, I couldn't resist.......for a change !!!!!!!

sheilaj
04-07-2008, 11:42 AM
I am a longtime buyer of the old mag and well I am unsure of the new one. It seems to me to be thinnner than the old one and the colours and layout are more like all the other craft mags....it used to stand out a bit before. I don't mind going to a clearstamp but IMO there was less originality to the design than with the old stamps.....and yes it was a much shorter read!
I think for four quid, I'd rather get creating keepsakes or the US papercrafting one :(

Rainbowwand
04-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Its not looking hopeful is it :(

clevercat
04-07-2008, 01:00 PM
I don't think so but I'd better reserve judgement until I see a copy. I suppose it is a very competitive market and I did find it difficult to get the magazine locally before.

Ribbons
04-07-2008, 02:24 PM
I am a longtime buyer of the old mag and well I am unsure of the new one. It seems to me to be thinnner than the old one and the colours and layout are more like all the other craft mags....it used to stand out a bit before. I don't mind going to a clearstamp but IMO there was less originality to the design than with the old stamps.....and yes it was a much shorter read!
I think for four quid, I'd rather get creating keepsakes or the US papercrafting one :(

I get alot of my mags the US, which papercrafting one do you get? I get the one called Papercrafts which takes me ages to get through. I also get 'Take Ten' from www.stampington.com, their speciality magazines are so good, some focus on altered art. Another one I get is 'Stampers Sampler', both Take Ten and Sampers Sampler are jam packed with stamped card designs, no ads because stampington make their own products. You may know this already but thought I would mention it in case. One trend I've noticed coming from the States is the use of birds in rubber stamping, along with trees, it will be interesting to see if this or when this comes over here.

sheilaj
04-07-2008, 03:58 PM
yes papercrafts is the one I get, I have also had one called simple scrapbooks. The local Borders store (well its in Southampton about 30 mins away) has a lovely selection of US mags. I try to get there once a month and treat myself, it has a Starbucks in it so I stand DH a coffee and cake and its a nice outing.
Yes I have noticed the naive birds and trees, I buy digi scrap stuff from a US website (scrapgirls) and that and grass and weeds in silhouette have been on there for a while, also branches with berries and blossom

sheilaj
04-07-2008, 04:07 PM
duplicate!

Ribbons
04-07-2008, 08:52 PM
yes papercrafts is the one I get, I have also had one called simple scrapbooks. The local Borders store (well its in Southampton about 30 mins away) has a lovely selection of US mags. I try to get there once a month and treat myself, it has a Starbucks in it so I stand DH a coffee and cake and its a nice outing.
Yes I have noticed the naive birds and trees, I buy digi scrap stuff from a US website (scrapgirls) and that and grass and weeds in silhouette have been on there for a while, also branches with berries and blossom

That sounds wonderful, when we're in the states we go to Barnes and Noble where they have craft mags and a coffee shop and I love it in there, once a month would be ideal, there's nothing like it in this area I don't think, maybe I'll have a look into it!

LorraineJ
04-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Have bought my copy and thought it has now become rather samey. Can't say I am a fan of the stamp either.

Flowerpot
05-07-2008, 01:48 AM
Now before you say anything I don't go around stiffing mags, lol.. but my copy of CS smells funny...did anyone else find these did??

LorraineJ
05-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Now before you say anything I don't go around stiffing mags, lol.. but my copy of CS smells funny...did anyone else find these did??

What do you mean by funny? It could be that what you are smelling is the sweaty plastic the magazines were bundled up in and the magazines are hanging onto the smell.

angela
05-07-2008, 05:45 PM
I bought it but haven't read it yet, it doesn't look as exciting as I thought it might, I was looking forward to seeing some designs from Dyan Reavley from Art from the heart.
Does anyone know of any online shops that sell american mags who will accept paypal?
ta

Mothership
08-07-2008, 12:54 PM
I might be going against the flow here but I think the new broom is just what this tired old magazine needed.

It had become an advertising platform for the Stamp Bug and the contributors were the same each and every month. They seemed stuck in a time warp and were unaware of what the most important people, the readers, wanted from them. Ultimately this was their downfall, I had been a subscriber almost from issue one but allowed my subscription to lapse. I was contacted by the publishers and polled about why this was.

The new magazine is just what I could have wanted from a UK stamping publication. Fresh contributors using up to minute stamps and supplies (allowing for the lead time between it's compilation and publication).
It's well laid out with helpful instructions and techniques.
They are casting a wide net for future articles and I am eagerly awaiting the next issue and have resumed my subscription. :)

Julie
08-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Now before you say anything I don't go around stiffing mags, lol.. but my copy of CS smells funny

Are you girls talking in code, is this a top shelf publication :eek:

greenacres20
10-07-2008, 12:20 PM
I too think it was in need of a re-vamp as the contributors were the same month in month out and one in particulalr produced the worst cards I've ever seen. Very drab.
The new mag is definately brighter and I really liked some of the projects.

My only reservation is that they are trying to get readers to submit projects - is this so they don't have to pay for them??? Seems a bit cheeky to me but I will reserve judgement until I see what they do with them.

dawn

Dips
10-07-2008, 12:58 PM
After following this thread (which, I suspect, has contributed to a great increase in sales), I, too, decided to buy one after having stopped buying it about 2 years ago.

I did enjoy the projects and thought that they were much more accessible, but I did think that the mag was a little thin. However, I suspect that paid-for advertising has fallen and the number of editorial/content pages that is in any magazine is always a function of how advertising has been sold. I suspect it will be a slow iteration, the more readers they have, the more advertising they'll sell and slowly, the more content we'll get.

I'm also very wary of too many "readers cards" - a cheap way to fill space.

I have to say, that from the UK mags, whilst I enjoy dipping into them, there are none that I just have to have every month. I think if you hold onto your mags long enough, you forget that you've read them and it's like reading a new mag again!

Anne
10-07-2008, 01:39 PM
I must admit to quite liking the revamp. Most of the projects seem to be of a similar complexity and style to previously - the whole magazine is just a bit brighter all round.

Regarding the readers' cards bit - they have had 3-4 sides of readers' ATCs for a while now, and I actually quite like that.

angela
10-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Anne what is your avatar? Is it an elephants trunk?

Anne
10-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Anne what is your avatar? Is it an elephants trunk?

Noooooo. It's a ballet dancer en pointe. :D

suetheiron
24-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Bring back Simply Stamping!! - this was my fave mag but it folded after only a few issues.

Competa
25-07-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm with you Suetheiron! That was a great magazine.

Has anyone else filled in Craft Stamper's on-line questionnaire regarding the new look? LOL! My answers certainly weren't what they must have been hoping to receive! Not favourably impressed I'm afraid.

angela
31-08-2008, 08:13 PM
anyone bought the latest issue, I think it's october's?

Ribbons
31-08-2008, 08:38 PM
anyone bought the latest issue, I think it's october's?

I've received October's because I have a year's subscription which I started just before the change or format. I had to think for a moment if I'd received it though as it didn't make an impression!

sheilaj
01-09-2008, 06:09 AM
I haven't bought the latest one....wasn't impressed with the last one and have started subscribing to some US mags (this from being a regular buyer)

angela
01-09-2008, 07:07 PM
I've received October's because I have a year's subscription which I started just before the change or format. I had to think for a moment if I'd received it though as it didn't make an impression!

I went to smiths today but it's not out in the shops till the 5th, doh! It was the front cover that I saw on the CS website that caught my eye, I think it's the Ikea mirror project that I'm working on at the mo, hope it will give me some inspiration.

Ribbons
03-09-2008, 03:02 PM
I went to smiths today but it's not out in the shops till the 5th, doh! It was the front cover that I saw on the CS website that caught my eye, I think it's the Ikea mirror project that I'm working on at the mo, hope it will give me some inspiration.

I've just found September's edition and it does say its out on 5th. I've got a subscription so it will come in the post in the next couple of days, I hope it gives me some inspiration.

Phree
03-09-2008, 06:17 PM
I do know that on the cover October Craft Stamper there is a project by Lynn Robinson Hunter of Graphicus, dunno if her's is the main cover image tho.

Oh and did anyone count the pages in the new look mag.... it's still the same number of pages as the old one.

Mrs D
04-09-2008, 06:25 AM
I got Craft Stamper last month and sent off the coupon for winning prizes and I got a letter yesterday telling me I was a WINNER!!! Except I don't remember ticking the box for this prize as it is a pair of tickets for the South Stamp show which are totally useless to me living in Scotland. The tickets are worth £3 each so if anyone is going and would like the tickets they are welcome to PM me and I'll send them.

angela
04-09-2008, 07:03 PM
a few years ago I won a xyron from craft stamper, the letter telling me I'd won came a week later!
I also once recieved 2 tickets to see wet wet wet at wembley, don't know where they came from lol.

roseh196
08-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Has anyone seen or joined The Stampers Srapbookers and Papercrafters Guild? www.thesspguild.com. I was going through some of my Craft Stamper issues and saw that Jane was setting up something new after she stopped editing CS. Looks like she's now editing an online magazine instead,. There's lots of other things you get with joining. I just wondered if anyone had joined yet and whether you'd recommend it as I'm very interested!? Thanks, Rose.

Flowerpot
08-09-2008, 06:57 PM
I did read about this but was unsure as to join or not, I'm already with the Graphicus Guild, so would want something that will offer different things.

sheilaj
09-09-2008, 07:55 AM
It sounds like a reasonable deal if you want the stamps which I don't!

Phree
09-09-2008, 08:19 AM
I have looked a few times at the SSP guild, but as I am in both the Graphicus Guild and the Clarity Stamp club I just feel this is one too many for me. I can't put my finger on why, but I just don't feel that tempted to spend the money to join. However it would be great to hear if anyone else has joined what they think of it.