PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know ...

Granny Penny
24-11-2011, 07:57 PM
... about waterslide decals and how they would work in comparison to decoupaging (old style) onto the side of an MDF bin?

jube
24-11-2011, 08:03 PM
I can honestly say I have no idea what you are on about LOL. Is it legal LOL

Granny Penny
24-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Oh Jube you do make me laugh. You can print and, I think, stamp the water decal paper and then you treat the surface, soak them and then slide of the backing off, but not away. You then put it where you want it and slide out the backing. Now ... this is what I read but I haven't done it. What I would really love to do is hand paint something small and delicate on to the side of the bin but I am definitely a crafter not an artiist so I have painted the bin inside and out but am now stuck!

von 2
24-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I used these when I did China Painting years ago but then you fired the item in a kiln. I would imagine it would be fine if you let it dry properly and perhaps sealed it with a suitable sealer/varnish.

Granny Penny
24-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Thank you von2. It seemed to have much the same effect as decoupage (the original sort) to me. What do you think?

NikkyHall
24-11-2011, 10:03 PM
You can apply them to most surfaces but you'd need to have a key underneath (ie if it's MDF undercoat/paint it first) and you will get all the texture of the surface coming through. I used them a lot as a kid and always had great results although I have to say they're better on smooth surfaces. You could also try Safmat so long as it's not a surface that gets wet. I have Letraset shows at 9 and 12-2 on Sunday and I'll be showing what you can do with Safmat - it's basically a printable self adhesive film which is virtually transparent. Almost the same as your waterslide decals but just really a printable rub-on/sticker. You can't varnish over the top but I've used it on wood and loads of different surfaces and found it works really well, depends what you're doing really x

Granny Penny
24-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Firstly Nicky, it's really good know you have programmes on Sunday - I just love your style and they are now on record. Thank you too for helping with this. I have said on here before, and I can't think I am the only one, that I want to be able, more and more, to use the my stash for things other than cards (although cards as well).

von 2
25-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Thank you von2. It seemed to have much the same effect as decoupage (the original sort) to me. What do you think?

It would have a similar effect although the original decoupage uses paper and is sealed with watered down glue. I was thinking if it's a bin you're doing you may need to seal it to wipe it down occasionally but, as Nikki says, because decals are made from film/plastic it wouldn,t be easy to seal....... but there again it gives you an excuse to change the decal now and again when it starts peeling away.

LadyKatkin
25-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Have a look in the Hobby's catalog, GP. Or look at their website - that's hobby dot uk dot com - they sell all the stuff for making decals. You need special sheets to go through the printer, and some topcoat or another, which will all be on there. It is available elsewhere, but Hobby's are nice enough people to do business with (despite any issues we may have with their use of apostrophes!).
There are lots of ways to do image transfer, btw. You could do a gel medium transfer, or one with a solvent (both methods need toner photocopies). You won't get a perfect result, but maybe you want to get a bit shabby, lol. You can also print onto non-printable acetate and press the wet ink onto your (prepared?) surface.
Have a look on the Cloth, Paper, Scissors website. You may have to join, but it's free. They will have a free e-book about image transfer on there, I'm sure. If you can't find one, PM me your email and I'll send you a link.
Kate x
Kate x

Granny Penny
26-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Hi Kate - I hope you are feeling a bit better (from another thread). I am rapidly thinking of doing something else with the bin other than the decals (I ordered some and they have arrived!). However, I think they will work on glass and I have a box of votive candle holders (don't ask) which I need to do something with so I could probably use them for that. I am going to study Nicky's programmes tomorrow because she is definitely an "out of the box" thinker and I think I will need to use something like her safmat as I go along. My next question to all our lovely crafters is going to be about the best glue for sticking fabric to wood but I won't start a new thread yet 'cos I am always picking everyones brains :xmas-smiley-004: