PDA

View Full Version : Heat Buddy Heat Tool - BEWARE

Phree
12-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Hubby recently borrowed my heat tool - and then told me he wanted a heat tool of his own for Christmas - Apparently it's the bees knees for making the decals dry really smoothly onto his model cars! Anyhow this played right into my hands, because I wanted one of those quiet ones... you know the ones that look like hair dryers and are white and were called "Heat It" but were withdrawn from sale in the UK because of changes in European labeling laws. And then we thought it was back on sale but this time in a cool purple colour - well that new "Heat Buddy" is NOT the same tool as the one made by Ranger in the USA.

My new Heat Buddy arrived today - I read the instruction - made sure I was good to go, turned it on and in under a minute I had smoke coming out of it. I of course promptly turned it off and once it was cool inspected to see if I could see any obvious reason for the smoke - there was nothing to see execept a rather suspect looking piece of cord that seemed to be part of the heating element but I can't say that it looked like something that would stand up to heat.

Anyhow I posted a question in another site asking if anyone had experienced smoke coming from a new heat tool, and asked if perhaps it was just some kind of residue from the manufacturing process burning off. Now this other site is one where Glenda Waterworth visits and I have received a phone call from her warning me not to try the tool again - she has told me that she is aware of several other Heat Buddys that have been faulty.

So I figured I had best post here - just in case anyone is asking Santa for a new heat tool - best to stay away from the Heat Buddy! Graphicus have a good alternative available if you need one.

soopy
12-12-2008, 07:28 PM
I don't need a new heat gun, my white one is fine, but thanks for the warning.

LorraineJ
12-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Surely wherever you got it from must have had a string of complaints. They are clearly not fit for purpose. I would have thought you would have no problem getting a refund, might sound a daft question but I take it that its wired for UK wattage, as I know for a fact that manufactured for the US, goes up in smoke over here. Makes me wonder if there is a faulty batch that has got into the UK, at least you didn't end up burned.

Phree
12-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Oh be assured the heat tool is going back to the seller Lorraine and I will be making sure Personal Impressions who are responsible for this tool (it's sold under their brand name, tho apparently it's manufactured in China) hear about the problem. Seems PI need to vet their chinese business partners more thoroughly - we all know how bad the stamps are from their chinese suppliers!

Rentochops
12-12-2008, 08:52 PM
That's quite scary Phree thanks for the warning, I am a bit scared of heat tools at the best of times but this is really terrible! Nice of Glenda to call you!