PDA

View Full Version : Doh! Spellbinder Question re cutting mat

Muffintop
01-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi everyone,

I've just dabbled my toe in the Spellbinder pool and bought two of the labels sets.:xmas-smiley-004:

Now, I'm going to ask what you will probably think is a really daft question re the cutting mat. I've had a look in the forum and found some posts but I'm still confused about what I need exactly to use them. :undecided:

I have a Cuttlebug so what do I need exactly to cut and emboss the Spellbinders? I've seen the No More Shims mat on C&C, I linked to oysterstamps and seen their big mat but still none the wiser. I'm just in a fog about what I really do need because it appears you can use card? But my little Bug is precious and I don't what to do anything to damage it. :129:

Help. Me. Please.

Yours in confusion x

JAMMY
01-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Hello Muffintop,

You do realise that once you start on Spellbinders there is no turning back!!!

You should have instructions inside each spellbinder pack for the bug, but what you need to cut is A plate + C plate + die (cutting ridge uppermost) + paper card (right side down) + B plate (cutting plate). Go gently if using thick card.

To emboss you will need a spellbinders tan mat or no more shims mat. I use a tan mat, so my sandwich is this: A+B+die (ridge uppermost) &card+tan mat+shims (mine needs 3 pieces of cardstock) + B. If you have simple label dies you can always run an embossing tool around the ridge and you will get the same result, just more time consuming once you have the more complex dies.

Hope this helps.

Jane

von 2
01-01-2012, 04:20 PM
That's a good idea - embossing tool round ridges - never thought of that! Thanks, Jane.

angela
01-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Just found this it might help
http://ucutathome.com/blog/spellbinders-grand-calibur-compatibility/

Muffintop
02-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Hello Muffintop,

You should have instructions inside each spellbinder pack for the bug, but what you need to cut is A plate + C plate + die (cutting ridge uppermost) + paper card (right side down) + B plate (cutting plate). Go gently if using thick card.

To emboss you will need a spellbinders tan mat or no more shims mat. I use a tan mat, so my sandwich is this: A+B+die (ridge uppermost) &card+tan mat+shims (mine needs 3 pieces of cardstock) + B. If you have simple label dies you can always run an embossing tool around the ridge and you will get the same result, just more time consuming once you have the more complex dies.

Hope this helps.

Jane

Hi Jammy and thanks for your most helpful advise. Is this why they are called Spellbinders!:laugh:

I've promised myself that I must use my stash up this year and not buy anything for a while (ROFL) but to do this I need something to make the most of my paper and thought Spellbinders would help. I've hummed and hahed for ages because I really wasn't sure but having seen Sue and others demo them I knew I "needed" some.

Thanks everyone else for your helpful comments. x

Teacherspet
02-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Hello Muffintop,

Hope this helps.

Jane

I'm another cuttlebug user and Jane has said exactly what I do right down to the tan mat and using an embossing tool at times.
Enjoy using your bug.

craftycat
02-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Hi Muffintop

You could always do the same as I did, decide to upgrade from the lovely little bug and go in for the Big Shot Pro. Then you will have even more choice of what Spellbinders etc you can use.:devil::devil:

My excuse for spending so much was that I don't go on holiday, even cheapy varieties. Big shot pro still cheaper than a holiday though!

Muffintop
02-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Hi Muffintop

You could always do the same as I did, decide to upgrade from the lovely little bug and go in for the Big Shot Pro. Then you will have even more choice of what Spellbinders etc you can use.:devil::devil:

My excuse for spending so much was that I don't go on holiday, even cheapy varieties. Big shot pro still cheaper than a holiday though!

Hi Craftycat

I did invest in a Big Shot when they were on offer so I've got the best of both worlds. I've just ordered the embossing mat - thanks again for the help and advice everyone.
x

Wid27
02-01-2012, 06:50 PM
I bought a rubber mat from Oysterstamps which claims you will never need a C plate, but I still couldn't cut anything with my spellbinders, I don't know what to do next, maybe I should have just bought the C plate in the first place!!