PDA

View Full Version : help needed please

tigra girl
04-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Hubby bought me a silverscrest sewing machine for chimbo - I will admit to being a bit wary of them. Anyway followed the simple instructions everying going ok but now the handwheel has jammed. I have taken the bobbin out, cleaned the foot area and its still jammed. Any ideas?

keiko1
04-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Don't know much about sewing machines (years since I used ours) but would think that this would be a call to the manufacturer just to be on the safe side. Just be careful you don't void any guarantee

tigra girl
04-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Hi keiko I thought it was going to good to be true - I really don't "do" sewing but fancied stitching some of my cards.. I really don't know what I have done. It wasn't an expensive machine just £59.99 from Aldi or Lidl ( can't remember which) but they do get good reviews online. Oh well I reckon it may me going back tomorrow, I will give it one last go before I pack it back in its box in readiness for a car trip tomorrow

kaz
04-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi keiko I thought it was going to good to be true - I really don't "do" sewing but fancied stitching some of my cards.. I really don't know what I have done. It wasn't an expensive machine just £59.99 from Aldi or Lidl ( can't remember which) but they do get good reviews online. Oh well I reckon it may me going back tomorrow, I will give it one last go before I pack it back in its box in readiness for a car trip tomorrow

I have got the same problem with the same machine (bought for the same reason)! Mine is jammed solid. I was going to dismantle mine this weekend as I've not had chance to do so until now.

tigra girl
04-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Kaz I had a couple of hours away from it then took a deep breath.
I took the tool holder thing off and the front of the bobbin holder, took the holder ( the metal bit) and the bobbin out. You will see 2 black arms to the side of where the bobbin goes, I flicked them from the top downwards and was able to take out some of the metal half circle bits. Trapped inside was a piece of cotton that had snapped and caught up in the metal bit. I took the tweezers to it and managed to get it all out. It was really easy to do and really easy to put everything back into place. magic - the handwheel now turns with ease. I do find it a bit difficult to take up the thread but that will come with practice. I was worried that threading it would be hard but its very simple. Hubby gave me one of his hankys ( don't ask) to play with so I had a go at the first lot of stitches and he now has a hanky folded and stitched on 2 sides. I've also had a go with cardstock and paper - it comes out a treat.

craftycat
05-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi Tigra. Only just seen this thread. Quite often you will find that a jammed machine is caused by a bit of thread caught in the bobbin.

Hope you enjoy your lovely crimbo present. I've had an Elna sewing machine for over 30 years. Don't use it as much now as when the kids were tiny but still enjoy playing with it

tigra girl
05-01-2012, 11:18 AM
I had a trip to town today and bought some extra bobbins, 10 reels of cotton, a bobbin storage box, some sissors ( just for material and not sticky stuff) and a storage box to keep it all in. I shall be winding bobbins this afternoon. I aint got anything to sew. I looked at the pattern books in the shop and started to sweat, I need something simple to start with.

jube
05-01-2012, 12:05 PM
I bought a set of bobbins and metal lower thread bobbins and my machine doesn't like the lower bobbins, so I have to rewind everyone on to a plastic one before I can use the thread.

tigra girl
05-01-2012, 07:19 PM
I bought plastic bobbins had a pig of a job getting them to take the thread. They were a little smaller than the ones that came with the machine. I held them up with my fingernail so they would load with thread. I thought I had it sussed but then the bloody needle sticks every 2nd stitch - no lie. I am seriously thinking of giving it another day of playing with it and trying to get a row of stitches without any knots, trapped thread or 10 attempts to pick up the bobbin thread. If I'm still having the same problems its going back on saturday