PDA

View Full Version : Simplicity Rotary Cutting Machine

Jilly
08-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Has anyone got this machine. Would you rate it as being worth getting if you want to get into quilting and patchwork? I used to do patchwork many years ago and just cut the squares etc. out from cardboard templates. I see it only goes up to 7cm so thats only a 2 3/4" square - which seems a bit small to me. But I can't really remember how big I used to do them.
Many thanks.

JanTheNan
08-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Can't help with the machine Jilly but the other day Jennie was demoing some plastic rulers and she was cutting widths up to 6½", or it was 6 something, also using the rotary cutter, seemed pretty accurate too.

elvie
08-02-2012, 10:32 AM
I bought one and didn't like it at all. I am a quilter and was taught with a rotary cutter and ruler. This machine goes too fast to be accurate. there is only one speed, so no room for improvement. Mine went straight on ebay. I did try it lots of times but as I say, it is no way as accurate as the rotary cutter and ruler method.
You mention squares, this machine only really cuts strips. Jennie on C&C always says to use starch on the fabric first, this would be so it goes through more controlable. You have to keep adjusting the cutting wheel too, which in itself is a pain, you need two different screwdrivers each time you want to alter the tension.
So my advice is a definate NO. I think there are reviews on Amazon similar to mine.

elvie
08-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Here is he link to other reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-881950-Rotary-Cutting-Machine/product-reviews/B002CT26RM/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt/192-8255277-9347210?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Jilly
08-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks - thats helped my decision.

Granny Penny
08-02-2012, 10:57 AM
I bought one and sent it back. I agree with elvie about the accuracy. I was actually very disappointed with it as, had it been efficient, it would have been a great help to me.

craftycat
25-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Bumping this thread to ask if a rotary cutter really does make preparing patches easier Also can one be used to cut more complicated shapes (hexagons and curves)? And if they are any good, can someone recommend a specific one?

Not asking for much am I!!

Granny Penny
25-03-2012, 02:14 PM
I bought one and didn't like it at all. I am a quilter and was taught with a rotary cutter and ruler. This machine goes too fast to be accurate. there is only one speed, so no room for improvement. Mine went straight on ebay. I did try it lots of times but as I say, it is no way as accurate as the rotary cutter and ruler method.
You mention squares, this machine only really cuts strips. Jennie on C&C always says to use starch on the fabric first, this would be so it goes through more controlable. You have to keep adjusting the cutting wheel too, which in itself is a pain, you need two different screwdrivers each time you want to alter the tension.
So my advice is a definate NO. I think there are reviews on Amazon similar to mine.

Agree totally with Elvie. I got it too and sent it back. It wasn't easy (next to impossible in my case) to get an accurate cut and it seemed very limited. I thought the rulers Jennie showed looked both practical and more flexible size wise.

elvie
06-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Bumping this thread to ask if a rotary cutter really does make preparing patches easier Also can one be used to cut more complicated shapes (hexagons and curves)? And if they are any good, can someone recommend a specific one?

Not asking for much am I!!

I think if you are doing patchwork and quilting you need a rotary cutter, mine is an 'Xsor' 45mm, this was recomended by my teacher, I buy my replacement blades on ebay. But as I said before stay away from the simplicity rotary cutting machine.