PDA

View Full Version : Glimmer mists

Prudence2
06-01-2009, 03:49 PM
I know of few people on here have these. With a small amount of money left after Christmas I can afford 1 set perhaps 2 if I don't eat for a week:eek: Which sets are the most useful to have? I know they are all lovely but I need a set which will work for a lot of different things.

SJT
06-01-2009, 05:03 PM
I bought all mine individually

that way I could get colours that I liked - the sets always seem to have one or two that I just didn't like.

I think if I could only keep one, it would be Pearl - it lifts all other colours.

I started with a couple of shades of gold, then added a blue, a red and a green. Since then I have gone for Pearl, Silver and a rather yummy chocolate brown. I also got a black for hallowe'en projects but haven't tried it yet.

blarf
06-01-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm going to be making an accordian book with Kay Carley's Plum Blossom stamps for my sisters 40th in Feb. I was going to do pink, peach and lemon as the theme (I'm resisting the temptation to do pink lilac and blue) - does anyone have specific colours to recommend in the glimmer mists ('cos monitors can be misleading). TIA

Marie
06-01-2009, 07:13 PM
OOH I want them all, they are so pretty. But I'm saving that for a) when I've got some money to spend and b) when I've got the hang of all the goodies I've already bought. I love the very rich colours in theglimmer mists and the metallic shades,isn't there a set called "from the mine" or something? It's very funky, I think I'd get that first.

Marzipan
06-01-2009, 07:24 PM
i have to day i have erm rather alot!!! I do agree about the pearl its the most used one i have

Phree
07-01-2009, 07:14 AM
Sorry, don't have much time right now but I wanted to say Down the Mine is NOT a good first set to buy. Glenda describes it as brilliant for overspraying other colours - and btw it IS good for that, but without colour underneath you would probably have a set that was too dark, too metallic and not really offering you what you want.

To be honest, as SJT has suggested already, when you are on a limited budget buying in sets may be a false economy as you are more than likely to get colours that are not your cup of tea. Pearl and Irridescent Gold are probably the 2 most universally usuful colours - they can be spritzed over more or less anything and give it an added luster. After that then my advice would be pick colours from the palette you enjoy most. Cool ones if you are a cool colour person (blues, greens etc) and warm tones if you like warm colours (reds, oranges, yellows etc.

In the cool colours I can recommend Sea Glass as a really delicate shade of turquoise - it's great for wintery stuff and Jazz is a fabulous vibrant turquoise. Other than that out of the getting on for 40 or so colours I have I can't say that any of the stand out as being favorites because they are all so gorgeous and it is very hard to pick ones that are "special" if you see what I mean.

anna_fran
07-01-2009, 12:28 PM
SJT, I agree with Phree. I'm a relative newcomer to Glimmer mists but I was bought 2 sets of Glimmer mists (Moulin Rouge and Autumn Glory) for Christmas and I absolutely love them but if you have a limited budget I'd buy them individually and according to your own colour preferences. If you have a stockist nearby go and have a look - they may have swatches/samples of each colour once it has dried, it will give you a much better idea of shades of colour the looking on screen. But for a starter the Pearl is really useful as it gives a glimmery sheen without really adding colour.

soopy
07-01-2009, 08:31 PM
I love Glimmer Mists and have quite a few. I have a favourite colour until I get some new ones, then it changes - they're all gorgeous!
They're on special at www.thatscraftyonline.com (am I allowed to say that?) at the moment...£4.99 each, buy 5 and get 10% discount.
Ok, now I want some more...

Little Jan
08-01-2009, 12:09 PM
I love Glimmer Mists and have quite a few. I have a favourite colour until I get some new ones, then it changes - they're all gorgeous!
They're on special at www.thatscraftyonline.com (am I allowed to say that?) at the moment...£4.99 each, buy 5 and get 10% discount.

Oh I won some of them but haven,t an idea what to do with them any tips would be helpfull:)

Anne
08-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Oh I won some of them but haven,t an idea what to do with them any tips would be helpfull:)

I think you just spray them on things, Jan.

(who needs Glenda Waterworth? :D )

Wellington
08-01-2009, 12:53 PM

You're definitely allowed to mention sites with bargains & include links Soopy (just not links to other Forums) - and I'm quite sure that our very own CraftyOne will be glad you posted that link cos it's her site :D ;)

I may treat myself to some glimmer mists at some point - just a couple probably. I have to say I'm not much into making my own backing papers, but I do like the glimmer screen designs...

Wellington
08-01-2009, 01:10 PM

I think you just spray them on things, Jan.

(who needs Glenda Waterworth? :D )

:D But if you don't mind a bit of Glenda, have a look at her tutorials on YouTube here (http://uk.youtube.com/user/ElusiveImages)

soopy
08-01-2009, 11:04 PM
You're definitely allowed to mention sites with bargains & include links Soopy (just not links to other Forums) - and I'm quite sure that our very own CraftyOne will be glad you posted that link cos it's her site :D ;)

I may treat myself to some glimmer mists at some point - just a couple probably. I have to say I'm not much into making my own backing papers, but I do like the glimmer screen designs...

Glad to be of service :D

I spray whole sheets of A4 or 12x12 scrapbook cardstock with one, two or three colours of Glimmer Mists ready to use in projects as they come up. I've just started to used the screens, I love the effect when I've sprayed one colour all over, placed the screen and then sprayed another colour on top...lovely :)

Prudence2
10-01-2009, 07:33 PM

Thanks for that information, I am waiting for them to restock pearl, and a craft mat and then I shall order.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think it probably is better to buy separately. I am not much of an orange person, but I do love blues, greens, pinks, purples, violets and shades of chocolate. Unfortunately that leaves an awful lot to buy!!:eek:

Marie
10-01-2009, 07:54 PM
It's funny about the colour orange, it was always my most unfavourite colour but just recently I've realised how beautiful it can be, especially if used sparingly as it really brightens up other colours. So I'd have any of the glimmer colour collections, they are all gorgeous.

soopy
10-01-2009, 08:43 PM
I agree Marie, orange is definitely not one of my favourite colours either, but it can look stunning (oo-er, I think I've caught the 'stunning' bug from QVC's Amy :eek:)

Jeanette
11-01-2009, 06:02 AM
I agree Marie, orange is definitely not one of my favourite colours either, but it can look stunning (oo-er, I think I've caught the 'stunning' bug from QVC's Amy :eek:)

But do you say 'stunnin' or stunning? :rolleyes:

soopy
11-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Actually, bein' an Essex girl an' all, I do say stunnin' - but in the 'grarse/glarse' down south way, rather that the 'grass/glass' up north way that Amy says it :D
(Absolutely no offence meant to those 'up north' :D)

Jeanette
11-01-2009, 05:21 PM
All sounds very confusing to me soopy!! I'm a down south girl so its definitely grarse & glarse from me too