PDA

View Full Version : A frozen Cricut!

Marie
11-01-2009, 06:40 PM
This weekend I've been loading up the Design Studio onto my laptop, which requires down-loading the new version of the software off the Cricut website so that I've got the most up to date version.
I've been doing some designs on my laptop, fairly basic stuff but unfortunately when I've tried to cut them today, found that cutting machine itself has frozen up since I had it attached to the laptop whilst going through the installation process.
What seems to be happening is that every time I switch the machine on, everything lights up except for the character keys, but nothing comes onto the display area and it won't accept any commands at all.
Anyway I've tried switching it off and on, re-installing the DS software, changing the cartridge etc and nothing works. Before I go onto the Cricut site has anyone ever had this problem before and if so, how did you fix it?
Any suggestions gratefully accepted! :confused:

Jeanette
12-01-2009, 05:09 AM
Silly question but have you tried resetting your cricut Marie.

Found this on the internet

Turn your machine on with no cartridge loaded.
Roll all your dials (the two on the left and the one on the right) down to there lowest setting. This is your starting place for resetting your machine. This will sound a bit odd, but many times it can fix your little "bug".
Roll all your dials all the way up and all the way down three times-three times for each dial.
Press the "Cut" button and turn the machine off.
Let the machine sit for a few minutes, load a cartridge, turn it on, and try a practice cut.

Marie
12-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Tnanks for that Jeanette, I'll give it a go later on! I guess it's a bit like re-setting your computer when it freezes for no apparant reason.

DianaDreads
14-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Did you get this sorted Marie? A lady on another forum is having exactly the same problem so I'll keep an eye out for her solution too.
I'll make a note of your suggestion Jeanette, it sounds like it could come in handy if I get any problems with mine in the future.

Marie
14-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Well it didn't work for me unfortunately as the right hand wheel isn't stopping up or down, it's just going round and round and won't stop, which ever direction. I've emailed Provocraft Customer Support and am waiting for IW to get back to me with the contact details for the UK distributor, but someone on Provocraft's site message board said that if the r/h wheel won't stop, the machine is broken and needs to go back. So I'm waiting to hear if that's true or not. Actually just realised that I've got the name and address of the UK distributor on the user manual, so I might try to give them a call tomorrow to see if they can help. I'll let you know if I find an answer, but otherwise would be pleased if you can find any more info on this problem. Thanks, Marie

Marie
14-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I've just emailed the distributor so will let you know if I get a solution.

Phree
15-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Marie, you bought the machine from IW, your warranty is with them as the seller of the product which appears to be faulty.

Marie
15-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Yes thanks Phree I'm aware of that but there is a sticker on the front of the leaflet taht tells you to return it to the distributor if it goes wrong. I'm waiting for IW to get back to me about it but as I doubt there's anyone at IW who has any expertise in this area, I've asked the distributor for advice before sending it back.
No harm in asking, anyway!

Marie
15-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Got an email from the distributor who advised me that it's broken and needs to go back. So it's a trip to the Post Office tomorrow. Thankfully I didn't throw the box out or the packing material.
Just been up to my local craft shop Samuel Taylor and they have it for £245, which is pretty well what I paid for it on IW. So when I've got my refund from IW, i'll get it from them. And if it goes wrong, then it's just a trip up the road to get it sorted.

Rainbowwand
15-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Got an email from the distributor who advised me that it's broken and needs to go back. So it's a trip to the Post Office tomorrow. Thankfully I didn't throw the box out or the packing material.
Just been up to my local craft shop Samuel Taylor and they have it for £245, which is pretty well what I paid for it on IW. So when I've got my refund from IW, i'll get it from them. And if it goes wrong, then it's just a trip up the road to get it sorted.

lets hope that the next one doesnt go wrong though Marie :( and a sensible idea to get it locally if it isnt costing you any more

Marie
15-01-2009, 11:28 PM
well to be honest even if was going to cost a bit more, I still think it would be worth it in case something goes wrong. I'm really fed up with it as I wanted to use it to cut out a frame and some wording for my niece's 18th birthday card next week. Something that should have been a nice Sunday afternoon project has also taken up 2 evenings, 2 sheets of pink mirri card and lots of swearing just to get something done that should have taken 10 minutes on the Cricut. I've managed to cobble the bits together this evening but I still don't think it looks right and suspect I'll end up having another go tomorrow. But it has to be posted on Saturday at the very latest so I can't put it off much longer. You wouldn't think that something so small could take up so much time and energy!!
Thankfully I've remembered that I've got some of those peel off borders that seem to disguise a lot of mistakes - wish I'd remembered them yesterday evening, grump.

Rentochops
16-01-2009, 06:33 AM
well to be honest even if was going to cost a bit more, I still think it would be worth it in case something goes wrong. I'm really fed up with it as I wanted to use it to cut out a frame and some wording for my niece's 18th birthday card next week. Something that should have been a nice Sunday afternoon project has also taken up 2 evenings, 2 sheets of pink mirri card and lots of swearing just to get something done that should have taken 10 minutes on the Cricut. I've managed to cobble the bits together this evening but I still don't think it looks right and suspect I'll end up having another go tomorrow. But it has to be posted on Saturday at the very latest so I can't put it off much longer. You wouldn't think that something so small could take up so much time and energy!!
Thankfully I've remembered that I've got some of those peel off borders that seem to disguise a lot of mistakes - wish I'd remembered them yesterday evening, grump.

Marie don't wait for IW to get back to you, pester them, as Phree says whatever it says on the box they are responsible. Marie, prepare for a battle and ensure you send it recorded delivery to IW! It will take them ages to acknowledge your return and get the money out of them - sorry to say. If it is faulty you should also claim you P&P back and the cost of sending it back.

kriskros
16-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Before you buy another try this site: www.wickfordhobbiesandcraft.co.uk they do the cricut create for £220.00 free p&p and the original for £190.00 I have been looking out for for ages and this is the latest offer I have come up with.

Phree
16-01-2009, 10:10 AM
LOL, ROC beat me too it, but yes make sure you are not out of pocket for the cost of shipping the broken Cricut back to IW and also make sure any refund includes the shipping you paid when you purchased the machine, not just the purchase price of the machine itself.

Lioness
16-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Marie, how was the circut delivered to you? RM or courier?

Last year I ordered some remote controlled cars as Christmas presents from IW which lasted all of 3 hours. I emailed them explaining that they were not fit for purpose and they arranged for the items to be collected by the courier (that is how they were delivered in the first place) I think that it took them about a week to come and get them but at least I did not have the hassle and cost of going to the PO and then hoping that it gets there. As others have said here, IW are responsible for this as they sold the item to you so you do need to send it back to them and not anyone else.

Marie
16-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions. I've already planned to send it back to IW - can you imagine the hassle of sending the machine to the distributors and trying to get a refund from IW??
I've never had problems getting refunds from IW in the past although I've never sent anything back because of it being faulty. As for the act of sending it back, I think I'll send it by recorded delivery just so that I know it gets to them safely. I'll have to look into it but I suspect that if I pay to send it myself and don't wait for their courier to collect it, it will be a devil of a job to get them to refund the cost. But to be honest I'd rather bear the cost myself and know it gets there quickly so I can get my refund for the cost of teh machine asap.
I know it is possible to find it even cheaper elsewhere online (and thanks for the suggestions!) but given the disappointment and hassle I've had this past week with this one, I'd rather pay a little bit more and buy it locally in case I have problems in the future.
It's just one of those things, most of the stuff I've had from IW has been absolutely fine but sometimes things go wrong. I just don't want the risk of waiting for something to be delivered and it going wrong and sending it back again. It's been a nuisance but not the end of the world. I'll have to wait until I can afford to buy it all in one go (the benefit of getting it from IW was not only the cost but also the installment payments) so will have to wait a couple of months to save up for it, but I can live without it for now. At least I've got plenty of cartridges ready to use etc when I get the new one!

Jeanette
16-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Marie, do not use recorded delivery, its not a trackable service until its signed for and thinking about it, the cricut is probably too valuable to do it that way anyway. If I were you, I would use parcelforce. Its fully trackable, you can arrange it online and they will collect from your home so no carrying it to the PO.

Marie
16-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Good thinking Jeanette, thanks for that thought.

Winspiration
16-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Agree with Jeanette - recorded only provides compensation up to £36, and isn't any more secure than sending unsigned for. Next Day special delivery costs £8.25 for up to 2kg or £20.70 for up to 10kg (with compensation up to £500), or go for Parcelforce, as Jeanette has suggested.

Jeanette
16-01-2009, 02:16 PM
I like the parcelforce option because they collect from your home :D