PDA

View Full Version : Felt help please

Wellington
02-05-2012, 03:51 PM
I don't normally venture into this part of the forum - I just can't get on with fabric craft I'm afraid...

But I was hoping that you lovely people who do this kind of thing might be able to point me in the direction of a recommended supplier to buy some felt from? Pref a decent price (ie cheap!) & p&p.

Basically DD is into Disney's Phineas & Ferb & one of the characters wears a brown fedora. She's managed to buy a Disney comic which includes instructions on how to make a fedora from card which is then covered with brown material. My best idea for the material was felt; I'd need brown for the full hat, plus a strip of black for the band that goes around it.

I've tried looking online myself, but there are so many haberdasher sites I'm a little overwhelmed - plus the ones I did look at seemed a little pricey (to me) for some squares of felt - but as I'm a total novice in this area. for all I know, they were the best prices after all!

DD refuses to let it lie & has once again asked me if material for her hat has arrived today...

Help!

sam
02-05-2012, 04:30 PM
They sell sheets of it in Hobbycraft Welly, 45p per sheet or 79p per self adhesive sheet.
I'm sure that I've bought packs of it in a pound shop before, but don't know what quality would be like.

craftycat
02-05-2012, 05:42 PM
oops!! double posted

craftycat
02-05-2012, 05:44 PM
I've bought really cheap felt from market stalls, when I want something decent though I get it from

http://www.craftbits.co.uk/felt.htm Main attraction is the range of colours.

JAMMY
03-05-2012, 05:46 AM
I buy felt from Fabric Land at £2.99 a metre. They have a range of colours but not sure about brown or even if they sell online, but you may live close to a branch.

Spendsloads
03-05-2012, 07:47 AM
I buy felt from Fabricland too - fabulous shop and such good value. I spend hours drooling over their cotton prints which are only around £3.35 a metre. Anyway, back to the original topic - I'm not if sure you have Fabricland in your part of the world Welly, but I can also recommend Abakhan Fabrics (round by Islington) in Liverpool - I'm pretty sure they sell felt by the metre there (presumably squares would be too small) and their prices are usually pretty good. I think they also do mail order if you don't want to make a special trip into town.

craftycat
03-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Has anyone ordered by mail order/phone with Fabricland? They do have some brilliant looking stuff