PDA

View Full Version : Docrafts Cards for Cancer Research

Muffintop
07-05-2012, 02:51 PM
I did a few of these today as I've got some plastic sleeves left from last year. However, have now realised that I have not seen anything about this year's campaign in the Creativity magazine. I haven't checked the Docraft site as it used to be so difficult to find anything it put me off trying.

Muffintop
07-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Just been on the Docrafts site and the only mention of the cards is the Gallery of cards from 2010. I might send them an email.

craftycat
07-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Bags are now handed out from designated suppliers and from the Cancer Research shops. All the shops I know of though are still waiting for this years supply of bags. I found a few I had left over but I've got about another 100 cards already waiting to bag up.

If the scheme falls through I will ask my local Cancer Research shop if they want to have cards for sale that I will put into plain polybags. Really is getting frustrating though.

craftycat
07-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Just been on the Docrafts site and the only mention of the cards is the Gallery of cards from 2010. I might send them an email.

Docraft are very poor at responding to emails!! They argue that many people don't give their correct email address. If the charity involved wasn't one I am strongly committed to, I think I would give up trying to help.

Muffintop
07-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks Craftycat. I have sent an email and hope they reply. This charity is one close to my heart and I like to support it by making the cards for the campaign.

It's strange they haven't made any mention of it in the mag this year. Even a paragraph would have been nice. It's good publicity for them as well.

I'll keep you posted if I get a reply.

craftycat
07-05-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm hoping to get down into "town" sometime towards the end of next week (all building work finished and house back in order by then). Will pop into the charity shop and see if there is any more info with them. I used to get my sales bags sent direct as I need so many of them but the contact I had seems to have disappeared.

Muffintop
09-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Well, I have a had a reply to my email. They still have some sleeves if you contact them directly (I shall find the address and add it). They are however looking at the campaign and might look at support causes in a different way.

I'm disappointed by this as it was the campaign side that I enjoyed as a newbie card maker I could play about with toppers etc so it increased my sticking skills! I'm not sure my local Cancer Research shop would sell without the sleeves because they already have a few different selections of cards for sale.

craftycat
10-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks Muffintop. How disappointing. Docrafts changed the charity for this scheme a couple of years back but I got the impression that the scheme was going well. Certainly the staff at the shop I provide cards with reckon they can sell all that are handed over. Not talking about the odd half dozen cards either.

Muffintop
19-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Hi everyone, sorry for slowness if putting the information up for the cards.

If you want the cards go to docrafts.com and look for the "contact us" link. This allows you to contact them.

I find the docrafts site quite difficult to navigate at times but that's probably me.:embarassed:

craftycat
19-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Hi Muffintop, no it isn't you the docrafts site is a pain!

Having said that, once I found the "contact us" link, I emailed and was sent a whole stack of cello bags. I hate bagging up my cards but have done a few today.

suban
19-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Noticed a lot of charity shops are selling professional cards (like Hallmark etc) and are refusing hand crafted cards! Lady in Children's Society shop is a card maker and ended up giving hers to the local church to sell! So unless you do a table-top sale, you're pretty well stuffed.

craftycat
19-05-2012, 05:49 PM
I've lost two outlets with my charity cards but, at least at the moment, Cancer Research are continuing their Docraft link. Cards are bagged into "official" packaging and sold at £1 each.

My other outlet is for the Care Home my mother spent her final years in. Connected to the Methodist Church and they are always glad of extra funding support.

Muffintop
20-05-2012, 05:11 PM
I've just found a craft kit from C&C with old photographs and mounts. It's a lovely kit so hopefully will appeal.

Charities are getting picky - sometimes too picky with what they will and won't take. Shame really as a lot of thought goes into making charity cards - even sticking and topping.

craftycat
20-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Not so much a case of the charities being picky, more that some stuff is difficult to sell. Not many people will pay £1 for a card, regardless of how good it is when they can go to a cheap as chips shop and get much cheaper stuff.

tru-ella
20-05-2012, 06:50 PM
My local shop said last year that some of the quality of the handmade cards they had were really poor, that people made them in huge bulks and that they would have been able to sell more if they had been more time spent on them.

Quite harsh I thought, but then I suppose I didn't see what was being sent to them.

craftycat
20-05-2012, 06:54 PM
My local shop said last year that some of the quality of the handmade cards they had were really poor, that people made them in huge bulks and that they would have been able to sell more if they had been more time spent on them.

Quite harsh I thought, but then I suppose I didn't see what was being sent to them.

Believe me some of the cards handed over look like they might have been made by under 5 year olds in play group. Very difficult for the shop managers to have to cope with. There is also a problem with style of cards. Pretty pretty goes down a treat so I put up with that. Not a very big market in charity shops for the grunge style that I enjoy making.