PDA

View Full Version : got my cuttlebug

Little Jan
13-01-2009, 12:05 PM
My cuttlebug has arrived and now I want more dies ect. I got 3 embossing dies and a cutting die with the machine for 49,99 and free p&p so I am quite happy, also ordered a set of x cut alphabet and number die's from mad about cards for 9.99 as they say on the site thay can be used in a cuttle bug, also have some fiskers plates that I nearly sold so will have a go with them too, must admit that all though I have read it that the dies cuttinto the plate my heart still jumped when I saw it lol.
My dear daughter looked at the plates and said ohh I think I might be able to sorce something to use when they need replacing, aparently her old school has a machine that moulds plastics ect in any sahape and size, in graphic design one of the girls made clear and coloured plastic chopping boards , so theres a thought :rolleyes: will let you know how she gets on.

Phree
15-01-2009, 09:38 AM
LOL, LJ, I am with you on the horrid feeling you get when dies cut into those lovely brand new shiney cutting mats! I hate that too, it makes me feel like I am damaging them even though I know that it's just an unavoidable side effect of using dies. Have fun with your new toy!

LorraineJ
15-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Enjoy your new toy LJ. I tend to buy the dies when I see them on special offer. E bay can be good for the bigger sets sometimes.

Little Jan
15-01-2009, 11:25 AM
I have searched and found that you can use the fiskers texture plates in the cuttle bug, I have followed the directions but I cant get mine to work, it says you need the wizzard embossong pads or 3mm foam which I have tried before buying the wizzard pads, as I dont want to buy something I don't realy need, but I am having no joy:(, has anyone else used the fiskers plates in the cuttle bug, if so how:confused:

Jeanette
15-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Have you tried using funky foam LJ. If doesn't quite give as good impression as a silicone mat but its an option. Don't forget you can also use Sizzix Texturz in the CB too

Little Jan
15-01-2009, 11:56 AM
yep I have tried funky foam
wonder if I have the sandwiches wrong(maybe lettace is not a good idea) have tried and tried and now I am sulking:(

Jeanette
15-01-2009, 01:12 PM
If I remember rightly, when I used funkyfoam, I used a couple of shims of paper under the textured plate too

Marie
15-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Enjoy your new toy LJ! Guess it's less likely to break down than my Cricut!

Little Jan
15-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Enjoy your new toy LJ! Guess it's less likely to break down than my Cricut!

Oh I do hope you get it sorted soon, why is it nothing is made to last more then 5 mins these days:(

Little Jan
16-01-2009, 04:37 PM
If I remember rightly, when I used funkyfoam, I used a couple of shims of paper under the textured plate too

Well I just give up I've tried the foam and shims, with diff combos , it did not work, I asked on Joanna Sheens site where I was directed to Cards by Karlum site.,where they list all the combos for diff things using the cuttle bug, tried the fiskers and the brass stencil, and not a mark on the card. Where am I going wrong:confused: I thought that having this machine would help me with my stencils as I find it hard to do them by hand now,And to top it all my daughter said oh I had that little mangle thing for making die cut flowers when I was small ,and its the same concept as the cuttlebug only it cost £7.99:rolleyes:I'm really fed up I have a cuttle bug and can't play with it till by embossing plates arrive.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Throws fiskers plates out of window

Jeanette
16-01-2009, 05:21 PM
I posted this some time back. I found it on another forum

I use the Sizzix texture plates in my Bug with no problem.
Recipe:
A plate>sizzix texture plate>cardstock> sizzix rubber sheet (from starter kit)> plate B

Now this recipe is on the thin side and by itself usually will not make an impression. What I do is add paper to the TOP of the sandwich to make a shim. Most of the time i just grab some junkmail letter that came in the mail and stick that on top. All you need is something to make the sandwich run thru tightly so that the impression will be made

Now obviously you need to substitute the sizzix plates with the fiskars plates and the silicone sheet with some funky foam. Most importantly make sure its a tight enough fit

Little Jan
16-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks I will give it another try although it was fairly tight and I was worrid it would break.

Jeanette
16-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Ok sounds like you have it tight enough. Do you have the sandwich in the right order?

Little Jan
17-01-2009, 01:42 PM
em bread butter lettace, cue, tom ,coleslaw, bread:D
ive follwed the one on site that says A plate foam fiskers plate foam b plate plus shim and still no joy

Jeanette
17-01-2009, 01:49 PM
ha ha glad to see you still have a sense of humour despite your frustration. Where do you put your paper/cardstock?

blueshowbizz
17-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Little Jan, there's a video on YouTube about which sandwich to use. I've used this site quite a lot to find out how to use things in my cuttlebug :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tOx509UDtPY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tOx509UDtPY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

auntie
17-01-2009, 08:46 PM
useful video that , but my goodness she is a ditherer !!

Little Jan
18-01-2009, 11:08 AM
ha ha glad to see you still have a sense of humour despite your frustration. Where do you put your paper/cardstock?

Oh should I be putting in paper thats whats wrong then:D
I have been using thin card as it says you can but to answer your question I have been putting the card on top of the first bit of foam then the texture plate then foam then b plate.

Jeanette
18-01-2009, 11:12 AM
ok I think I see the problem. Try foam then paper then plate. ie the paper needs to be next to the plate not the foam

Little Jan
18-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Little Jan, there's a video on YouTube about which sandwich to use. I've used this site quite a lot to find out how to use things in my cuttlebug :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tOx509UDtPY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tOx509UDtPY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I have watch that vid about 6 times just in case I was doing it wrong, but it still don't work I'm going to wait to see if my cuttlebug plates work when the arrive , as I noticed that even the little plate that came witht the machine needed extra shim to work dispite following the instructions to the T.Maybe I have a dodgy one(maybe thats what you get for getting it cheaper) typical of my luck:rolleyes:

Jeanette
18-01-2009, 11:27 AM
ok I think I see the problem. Try foam then paper then plate. ie the paper needs to be next to the plate not the foam

Did you see my reply LJ?

Little Jan
18-01-2009, 12:24 PM
well I got it to work well sort of the impression is very light and only seems to work on paper or very thin mirri card, not on anything else
I used A plate, fiskers plate, foam,C plate more foam as a shim
it was tight going through and my heart was in my mouth as I slowly turned the handle.think I will have to play around a bit more to get the impression deeper but at least I got something :rolleyes:and the foam has a lovely impression so I can have fancy foam :D

Jeanette
18-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Hooray, at least you got a slight impression. Now you know the correct sandwich, play around with shims. You'll be surprised how much a shim of thin paper will make a difference!

Little Jan
21-01-2009, 01:46 PM
My cuttlebug embossing folders arrived yesterday , pretty good as I only ordered them friday.:)I had to play around with the sandwich as the one in the book did not work, seems no 2 bugs are the same:rolleyes:anyhow By using the c plate instead of the b plate I manaaged to get a good impression, just need to play about more with fiskers plates to get them to work better.
Here is my first quick effort for SIL's 40th
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9756/cimg0959hc3.th.jpg (http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg0959hc3.jpg)

Anne
21-01-2009, 02:55 PM
That's lovely Jan. My Cuttlebug folders worked first time for me. Bunged it in as per instructions and away I went. I think they say on the instructions that they're all slightly different. There's be no stopping you now. :)