PDA

View Full Version : Help with colouring digi mimages!

Rosilee
18-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Hope this is where you meant Looby, but I need help with colouring! When I use pro markers I keep pulling the ink down which makes the image dirty looking. I have got some paper/thin card that is supposed to be for digital images and colouring, but something isn't working right. Probably me!!
Thanks for any suggestions. Jaki.

craftycat
18-05-2012, 10:12 AM
only guessing but as pro markers are the same type of ink as in ink cartridges ( I think) then you can't use pro markers on digi images. Not that I use digi images. Would be interested to hear some experiences from the fans

jr77
18-05-2012, 10:35 AM
It is a problem but I've found if I leave the images for at least two or three days and preferably longer it helps and it does seem to vary according to what type of paper you use so I would experiment with a different one and see if that makes a difference. I've tried a few and keep returning to the MCS supersmooth. Some people spray with hairspray but ive found this reacts with the promarker inks and doesn't give a nice surface for colouring.

I asked in my local artshop if there was anything that could be done and the only thing they could come up with was a Golden medium which you treat the paper with beforehand but they weren't really sure what it did or how you used it. I've been too chicken to try it yet in case it messes up my printer and anyway it is quite expensive. I think it's easier to just let the images dry out. Alternatively you could try one of the fine embosing powders designed to grab ink jet ink like Debbi Moore's print magic or MCS meltdust and emboss the outline.

Kate's Cards
18-05-2012, 11:05 AM
I print from CD'S onto Neenah card (crafters companion) and like Janet leave it overnight. I've never had a problem, but watch out for the fact that Neena is not A4, you may need to adjust your print area on your printer settings!
Happy colouring
Kate
xxx

Comfrey
18-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi I use either Rymans card or Nikkis graphic paper. You do have to be careful and its normally because your printer uses pigment instead of dye based ink. If you leave it for an hour or two it makes its better or if you carefully cover over the black lines with a very light colour then let it dry, it seems to seal it.

I'm going to try changing to an ink system and change over to a dye based ink. But I havent had the guts yet because my printer is new and I dont want it to break :mysmilie_845:

Comfrey
18-05-2012, 11:14 AM
I print from CD'S onto Neenah card (crafters companion) and like Janet leave it overnight. I've never had a problem, but watch out for the fact that Neena is not A4, you may need to adjust your print area on your printer settings!
Happy colouring
Kate
xxx
You know I never got on with neenah. If you put it next to the graphic or rymans card it looks cream. Its ok if youre using vibrant colours but not so much if you are using pale pastels.
But I guess its personal preference :)

LoobyLou
18-05-2012, 11:20 AM
If you want to print onto thicker card then I recommend this http://www.joannasheen.co.uk/craft-supplies/pack-of-20-elegance-satin-a4-card-300gsm/ but if 220gsm is sufficient for your needs then try this http://www.joannasheen.co.uk/craft-supplies/pack-of-20-elegance-satin-a4-paper-160gsm/.

After I bought a new printer a year or so ago I found that no matter what I printed onto the ink was bleeding, I think the new printer was laying down substantially more ink. Anyhow I tried the elegance card and it's the absolute best I have ever tried for digis. It's also excellent for prismacolour blending as well, whether that be on digis or on proper stamped images.

I am afraid that the stuff that Polka sell was one of the worst for bleeding digis, but the Elegance cardstock is superb.

Comfrey
18-05-2012, 11:27 AM
I am afraid that the stuff that Polka sell was one of the worst for bleeding digis, but the Elegance cardstock is superb.
I admit its a lot worse for bleeding than the rymans but the white is very white and the colour lays down well.
But I'm going to try the elegance card Looby. I've been umming and ahhing about it and now I know someone is getting good results I'll have a go. I like digi stamping. Thank you :)

Rosilee
18-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks everyone. I have been using the Polka graphic card/paper, but the pro markers pull the ink down even after being left overnight. You kn ow Looby, I think I have some of that Elegance card from Joanna somewhere. I shall have a good look this afternoon. Terrible really, having all this card/paper and don't really know exactly what you've got. I think I need some more storage (I wonder if I can get one of my boys to move, then I could have a whole room to myself). Only joking. I'm afraid I'd miss them too much. No, I think I'll just buy some more A4 boxes.

Right, thanks for all the help girls, have a great weekend everyone! Jaki. xxx

keiko1
18-05-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm going to try changing to an ink system and change over to a dye based ink. But I havent had the guts yet because my printer is new and I dont want it to break
we've changed our A3+ canon to a ink system, cheaper to run as the bottles last for months.
One thing though its better to leave the printer on otherwise it can revert to new cartridge every time you switch it back on and you won't get a true reading on the ink levels. If that makes sense :)

Comfrey
18-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Keiko, did you find the change to a dye ink instead of the normal pigment ink better when it came to bleeding? I really want to try it, but it's going to take some persuading for hubby to believe I'm not going to wreck the printer :thinking:

Karriepie
18-05-2012, 08:13 PM
I regularly use promarkers on digi stamps and have been using MCS supersmooth and even Kanban, in fact pretty much anything that is relatively smooth. I never colour in straight away though and to date have not had any problems with bleeding. Leaving the printed image to thoroughly dry out helps I think.

Marilynmcl
19-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Try printing your digi image out in 'draft' setting as it lays less ink down. Then leave it to settle overnight and see how you get on.

Millburn
19-05-2012, 03:12 PM
I use a programme called ink saver and print it out on the Rymans 160g at 60% saving and leave over night and get good results

The ink saver programme I use with everything; from 20% off on the invoices I do for the farm; to 75% savings for emails for home to read, to 10% savings on photos and it makes vellum printable too