PDA

View Full Version : Kanban taking over QVC Crafting?

Rentochops
21-01-2009, 06:23 AM
I note that Kanban is getting its own hour in the not too distant future, whilst this is inevitable and I do like, and own, some of there more recent kits, they are starting to get a bit samey.

I can recognise a Kanban topper from a distance now!:D

Spendsloads
21-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Didn't someone (think it might have been Dips, but apologies if I am wrong) have a Ban the Kanban thread on here a while ago? This was at a time when they had got stuck in a rut and virtually everything they were flogging had sparkly pink butterflies on it. Then they had a bit of a revamp and started producing some different stuff. I agree they seem to produce a lot of very similar ranges and also everything seems to be very 'pick and stick' - not that there isn't a place for this, as this is handy when you are producing stuff in a hurry, but it doesn't leave that much opportunity for creativity.

Jeanette
21-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Kanban do seem to find a design that initially sells well then flog it to death. I am not opposed to the pick and stick designs, they have their place in the craft industry. Kanban still do there other ranges and some of them are quite gorgeous but QVC like to have everything in big kits so you don't see the card and paper very often

SJT
21-01-2009, 08:18 AM
It is the way of things with all the shopping channels. They build a relationship with a small set of suppliers (with QVC it is Kanban, DoCrafts and a dutch company, IW have Redhot-whatever they are called and the people that produce the kits that Nancy demos) - and they can get very good deals from them.

Smaller suppliers - who would provide the depth to the range on offer - can't cope with the massive discounts demanded by the buyers. Which means that the consumer gets less choice.

At least we have the internet to fulfill all our crafting needs.

If we look at the description of what is supposed to be 'Advanced Paper Crafting' on tonight, we are told it is new things like Quilling, Pyramage and decoupage. None of these are new and not what I would term advanced.

It is just more marketing spiel to get people to watch

lynnieb
21-01-2009, 08:45 AM
i agree. Kanban stuff is OK but we need variety. its like IW who have
Michelle on ALL the time

Dips
21-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Didn't someone (think it might have been Dips, but apologies if I am wrong) have a Ban the Kanban thread on here a while ago? This was at a time when they had got stuck in a rut and virtually everything they were flogging had sparkly pink butterflies on it. Then they had a bit of a revamp and started producing some different stuff. I agree they seem to produce a lot of very similar ranges and also everything seems to be very 'pick and stick' - not that there isn't a place for this, as this is handy when you are producing stuff in a hurry, but it doesn't leave that much opportunity for creativity.

It was me, well remebered, Spendsloads! It was exactly the time when every Kanban kit (and almost every TSV) involved badly cut decoupage flowers and fairies in pastel cardstock. Kanban has then almost re-invented it's entire range but that product development has not then continued. They now seem to stuck into their "concept card" range - time for more innovation, Kanban! You've proved you CAN do it, so do it once more!

lolathelamb
21-01-2009, 09:35 AM
At least we have the internet to fulfill all our crafting needs.

If we look at the description of what is supposed to be 'Advanced Paper Crafting' on tonight, we are told it is new things like Quilling, Pyramage and decoupage. None of these are new and not what I would term advanced.

It is just more marketing spiel to get people to watch

Indeed it is! I am going to enjoy the evening with hubby then take a look at the 24 hours review on their site, order if I see something fantastic I had not previously seen, has not sold out, has not been lurking on the website awaiting a show, and is not made by Kanban.

I did buy the first concept card kit QVC featured last year (still on sale, repetitively) but was at a Golden Wedding and overheard someone question my card - I thought she made cards - that looks bought. I was initially hurt, then thought - heck, they're right.

(PS DB works closely with Kanban - do we wonder, how closely?)

LorraineJ
21-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Not been to the outlet for a while, but I did notice posters up of Dawn Bibby promoting their stuff on QVC. Think it quite likely that she on her own or in partnership with QVC has done a deal with Kanban, so thats why we see so much of their range. They do other stuff that never makes it to the TV and only available from the shop and a lot of it is interesting.

Rentochops
21-01-2009, 11:54 AM
lola you have hit the nail on the head - they can look bought if you don't do other things to Kanban kits!

Wellington
21-01-2009, 01:18 PM
I note that Kanban is getting its own hour in the not too distant future, whilst this is inevitable and I do like, and own, some of there more recent kits, they are starting to get a bit samey.

I can recognise a Kanban topper from a distance now!:D

How will we be able to tell the difference between that & a 'normal' papercraftibg show ;)

DB did say last night that tonight's show would be more stamping-based...

SJT
21-01-2009, 02:26 PM
If the Advanced Paper Craft show is more stamping-based - why are QVC advertising as being quilling etc?

Also the Hot Pick for that hour is an old K&Co scrap kit

Why not just call it Paper Crafting? Nothing would indicate it is any different from a standard hour

Anne
21-01-2009, 02:57 PM
If the Advanced Paper Craft show is more stamping-based - why are QVC advertising as being quilling etc?

Also the Hot Pick for that hour is an old K&Co scrap kit

Why not just call it Paper Crafting? Nothing would indicate it is any different from a standard hour

I think QVC send out a standard email whenever they have "advanced" paper crafting. I had one a few months back that mentioned quilling, but there was none to be seen on the programme.

SJT
21-01-2009, 03:01 PM
I got it from the website.

Either way, it is misleading.

I very much doubt there will be any techniques in the show that have not been seen before on the regular hours. And none of it will be particularly advanced.

Tolly
21-01-2009, 03:14 PM
I think that it's all down to how much time they give for the demos. How many times has a demo been cut off by the director? Poor Dawn has to rush to complete it and has to hold it card up unfinished and say " Well at least you get an idea of how it looks finished!"

Unlike others on another channel, Dawn has to not only try and show samples and demo but to sell the kits too! I think that she's amazing to be able to keep it all together.

If I was trying to show a card and a voice in my ear screamed "move on" I'd be screaming back "Just wait a minute buster! I haven't finished!!" Leaving the studio with dead bodies in my wake!

Marie
21-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Well I'm sure that they won't be showing anything that even the newest of us haven't seen somewhere before, but i still enjoy watching. It's not just the products or even DB herself, but also I just enjoy being in a little "crafty world" for a while in the company of others, makes me feel all warm and cosy!! lol!

pyjama princess
21-01-2009, 03:57 PM
.. It's not just the products or even DB herself, but also I just enjoy being in a little "crafty world" for a while in the company of others...

That's my thoughts as well Marie. So while we're watching tonight I'll give a little wave to you via the TV screen. :D

Marie
21-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks PJP, I'll send you one back and anyone else here who is watching too!!

DianaDreads
21-01-2009, 04:15 PM
I'll be waving too! Hell, I might even send in a text :eek:

Jeanette
21-01-2009, 04:33 PM
I'll be waving too! Hell, I might even send in a text :eek:

Yeah go for it DD!!

sugarplum
21-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Ok synchronise your watches and at 7.03pm (that should just about allow enough time for the previews) everybody WAVE!

DianaDreads
21-01-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm ready!

DianaDreads
21-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Hope I wasn't sad and waved on my own!
Have sent a text in and have to say that the show is looking very promising. I've already remembered that I've got some of that memory glass upstairs, hopefully this will motivate me to dig it out.

Rainbowwand
21-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Hope I wasn't sad and waved on my own!
Have sent a text in and have to say that the show is looking very promising. I've already remembered that I've got some of that memory glass upstairs, hopefully this will motivate me to dig it out.

oooh memory glass i have some of that somewhere, been saying i will use it for ages, now to find it lol :D

sugarplum
21-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Hope you saw me waving :) Enjoyed the show nice to see something other than matt and layer. Had to laugh at the starburst stains demo though Good job I have seen the wonderful stampman demos on Cand c or I would never have been tempted by these magical stains If anyone is thinking about buying some though you can by dauber sets of 5 for half price (£12.50) and free postage in thestampman sale at the mo I'm off to get the japenese garden set that Ihave been lusting after.

Marie
21-01-2009, 09:24 PM
I had to laugh at Pipa trying to get those stains to work, lol! Can;t wait to get the embossing powders and have a play! I thought it was a really good show tonight, hope there are more like it soon.

soopy
21-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Well, guess who went and forgot this show was on...good job I'd Sky +'d it so watched it later this evening. It was good to see some different products to the usual mat and layer, I would've gone for the memory glass etc kit and some Starburst stains if I wasn't on a stash diet at the mo...
Why does DB think that rubber stamping is an advanced technique though...I've been doing it for nearly 16 years and could ink, stamp and heat emboss in my sleep :D

Wellington
22-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Why does DB think that rubber stamping is an advanced technique though...

Cos it takes a tad more thought than snipping a Kanban concept card out...Sorry, couldn't resist that :rolleyes:

soopy
22-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Cos it takes a tad more thought than snipping a Kanban concept card out...Sorry, couldn't resist that :rolleyes:

You're right Welly :D:D:D

Craftyktee
22-01-2009, 01:52 PM
A few years ago Dawn was talking about her family. I think one of the presenters asked if any of her family crafted; (This was before her niece got involved), and she did say; amongst other things that one of her brothers worked in a paper factory!!! I thought at the time it may have been Kanban. So perhaps they all have an interest in Kanban, after all Dawn can keep them up-to-date with future demands. Only a thought mind you; I do not have inside information.

As far as last night was concerned I enjoyed it. I went for the 3 foam musical stamps as I have nothing 'Musical' in my stash apart from peel off's...