PDA

View Full Version : Serif please help.

jube
18-06-2012, 11:22 AM
When I look at all Mel's pages they are in 12x12 fromat. My problem is that my printer only prints max A4. Do I try am 8X8 sheet as when I make an A4 scrap page it looks all wrong. I have put the divide lines on but I just don't understand what to do. Do I put an image in each 3rd as on an A4 page it looks odd. Thanks for reading Jube.

Kate's Cards
18-06-2012, 11:58 AM
I always make them as 8x8. Seems to work for me. A4 is rectangular so it would look different if you then transferred a 12x12 page to A4. Sorry if this was not what you meant as I know, you know, that A4 is not square!
Good luck, and keep experimenting, as I find that this is the best way to learn about this fab programme!
Kate

keiko1
18-06-2012, 12:17 PM
I always opt for that or 8x8 also

jr77
18-06-2012, 01:58 PM
I do 8x8 Jube - I use the custom size choice in Serif and print on to A4 and trim off the excess. I wouldn't get too hung up on the rule of thirds if that is what you meant. I'd do your layout the way you like it. The beauty of Serif is that you can always use the thirds overlay (it is automatically sized to the paper size you are using) to see how it conforms but I wouldn't necessarily change what I want to do .

jube
18-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Thankyou so much for the replies as I knew something was wrong but just couldn't put my finger on it. I am spending today holding the ladder for DH so I havn't been able to watch telly only on quick spurts. My mind was wondering while stood their so thanks again, I can't wait to try tonight.

jenty
18-06-2012, 04:30 PM
I've ordered the manual, don't really want the CD that was with it but thought the book would be useful. I know I have the manual online but, by the time I flip to it , find what I want and flip back, I've forgotten what the answer was! I like it when Phil is on the Serif shows as he explains so well, when he is allowed to. :grin:

jube
18-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Just been on an 8x8 page and it all made sense. Just made a page of DH and it looks ok. Thanks again for all the answers I just needed a little reasurance. Jube.

kriskros
19-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Not sure if it is my printer or not, but is there any way that you can get the photo to print out more like a normal photo does? have tried different papers apart from glossy photo paper but they all seem to come up a bit fuzzy!!

Inky
19-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Not sure if it is my printer or not, but is there any way that you can get the photo to print out more like a normal photo does? have tried different papers apart from glossy photo paper but they all seem to come up a bit fuzzy!!
When you click on print to print your project there should be a maintenance button that appears on your print box. Click that and you can set it to text printing, or photo printing. The photo gives the highest quality.

jr77
19-06-2012, 01:47 PM

It is largely down to the paper and how it reacts with your printer. Try a few experiments with different papers on different settings.

I tend to print the background and then print other elements separately and then add them in layers as you would in ordinary scrapbooking. I usually print the photo (as I have altered it in Serif) on photo paper unless I have merged it into the background or something and want a softer effect.

Craftydiecutter
19-06-2012, 02:19 PM
I too print my pages in 8x8 size or smaller depending on what i am working on. As for the paper, i always use Epson Archival Matte Paper. The photos are always chrisp and clear as are the graphics.

I have an HP printer and just print on normal ink setting so i don't use much ink

Carolina Moon
06-10-2012, 10:09 AM
I thought that my pictures were fuzzy, but it was the frame I was using, some of them have an edge and an overlay, making it look distress or blurred.