PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette cameo (again)

Comfrey
08-07-2012, 06:01 PM
I just wrote this on Dyznis thread

Dyzni, I was about to grovel to my other half for this when HE suggested I took advantage of the easy pay and got the cameo instead

He's lovely and I know he's trying to make me happy, but it's an awful lot of money and I was going to ask if it was worth it. I have an almost brand new black cricut create I could sell to help pay for it, but even so.
I also know he as trying to help because I find cutting out so difficult because of poohey hands and wrists.

But i just saw the thread about the cameo pick of the day and was rather shocked at a certain ladies cavalier attitude to the people who are forking out hard earned cash to buy this thing and now I'm like "ummm do I really want to put money in the pockets of these people" particularly when money is so tight.

I just don't know what to do for the best. This shouldn't really be on your thread, I'm sorry. I want the cameo (who wouldn't) but I don't know if I can justify the expense, but I'd rather go for the machine which will last me the longest.

I wondered what everyone thought. Also when it was pick of the day, was the price a lot cheaper and does anyone know if theres going to be another anytime soon?

Sorry for all the questions

vampyre
08-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Well I'm a cougar person so unbiased.The cameo seems to be versatile and powerful so as a tech freak I'd seriously consider the cameo.

Comfrey
08-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Oh now I'd really love the cougar, but that really is out of my price range (no easy pay lol)
Considering how the iPad made me come out in hives, you might be quite shocked to known I'm actually fairly techy myself and the fact it runs from the puter is a bonus to me. I hate the cartridge system of the cricut.

I just don't know if it's worth the money and also I'm interested to know how the company operates towards its customers given what was said on the POTD thread.

Believe it or not these things are important to me and I'd actually rather have nothing than give my money to a company who treats its customers like objects of amusement and calls them "nasty". Although I am aware that maybe the lady in question felt slighted, I still consider it shoddy and unprofessional behaviour.

vampyre
08-07-2012, 06:40 PM
I'll see your unprofessional and raise you to appalling rudeness.
Graphtec seem to always go with demos on tv that are to say the least a bit weak, the person who used demo the 'robo and only ever cut out hearts or a champagne glass was not great viewing. Having said that most people myself included seem to find graphtec are great for customer service and you can always ask here. I use silhouette studio myself as do many others so hopefully all will be a cake walk for you if you take the plunge.

Comfrey
08-07-2012, 06:56 PM
I'll see your unprofessional and raise you to appalling rudeness.
well yes that too!
Anyway thanks for putting my mind at rest as far as graphtec are concerned, now all I have to decide is whether it's worth waiting in case there's a POTD/W. I always always order stuff and then see it cheaper a few days later :angry:

Dips
08-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Comfry, it was me that opened the POTD thread and took a fair bit of critism from the guest presenter for what I had to say. DESPITE that, I am very pleased and happy with my Cameo. I previously had a Silhouette Cutter (A4 cutting area) which I did sell after I got the Cameo. I use my Cameo almost every week (far, far more than I used my old machine) as the bigger cutting area suits me much better. I've invested in the extra long cutting mat. I've had to contact Graphtec once and received a prompt answer. However, I can absolutely recommend Silhouette America whole heartedly - they go out of their way to proivde detailed, prompt answers. The things I like about the Cameo are:

* Extended cutting area
* Not cartridge based - you can buy 1 design at a time, or use freely available shared files, or design your own (which I do)
* Easy to use software (must be if I can use it)
* Helpful customer service

Finally, with regards to the deal on C&C, the POTD was not any cheaper, it just came with the Silhouette Design Studio as an added value.

HTH

Jacksmissis
08-07-2012, 07:57 PM
:mysmilie_492:

I don't use my Cameo as much as I could but must stress thats not because its not good - its brill, I just dont have the time at the moment, and I bought it because of my dodgy hands and wrists too!
I'm not sure which review you have been reading Comfrey so cant really comment, other than to say if its the one I think it is, the views expressed by the lady were hers alone, after a very stressful time, and probably with hindsight, regret.
I think Dyz upgraded to the Cameo, 'cos she loves the Robo and how it works, and to the best of my knowledge the points of the Cameo above the Robo is it cuts wider and thicker stock, and like the Silhouette has an optical eye.
With the Cameo and the Silhouette you can save your designs to an sd card so you can craft if no pc is available, not sure if Robo has the optical eye like the Cameo and the Silhouette but Dyz would be able to tell you.
I bought mine back in January on 3 flexi's, after a dem on air that went badly wrong, but it didnt put me off because I knew what it could do.
It was intimated that because of the bad dem (thats what was banded about) the following week it was put on PoD, on 4 flexi's plus an upgrade on the software (which you can buy separately for about £25), the overall price of the Cameo was the same tho.
Now, quite a few of us were not happy seeing as how we'd bought one literally just a few days before, inspite of the dem and I CANNOT fault Graphtec, they gave me the same upgrade (its like a credit card with unique number on) but my flexi's stayed the same (too complicated to change it !) I have bought several things since from Graphtex, and their customer service is really, really good.
The main gripe that owners of any of these machines have is that when they're on tv the first 40mins or so of the programme is waffle for what you can get to go with it - but you dont know what to do with it because there's never enough time to do proper dems, as Mel does with her Cricut's.
Phew, hope I havent bored the pants off you! A lot of Robo/Silhouette/Cameo mums and dads are members on here and I also (as probably they do) have another couple of sites if you have any queries or problems. Hayley has some good tutorials on her blog http://hayley-west.blogspot.co.uk

Comfrey
08-07-2012, 08:02 PM
I saw it was you who opened the thread Dips, I only read it bout an hour ago after I did a search for Cameo potd. As you know I don't go in for bitching about presenters. By that I mean things which are of a personal nature and nothing to do with craft, like comments about someone's marriage or the way they look etc

However it's perfectly acceptable in my opinion to comment on the way they present their wares. After all that's what they are there for and if they treat viewers (customers) like morons I consider it disrespectful and in any other business the people involved would be brought to task about their attitude.

I thought the way in which you were spoken was pretty appalling and I was really very shocked. I won't be watching any more programmes which involve that lady.

But thanks ever so much forntheninfo about the cameo and graphtec, do you reckon I should take hubby up on his offer then? I'm trying very hard to be adult about it and not just snatch his hand off and think about the consequences later lol

Comfrey
08-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks Jacks, that was really helpful and I really hope Dyznis sells her silhouette. Not least because I feel guilty now because I was thinking Of getting it before hubby made his fab offer :thinking:

oh and if yours or Dips posts get reported its because the report button is too near the thanks button for my fat fingers when I'm using the iPad :mysmilie_847:

dyzni
08-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Don't feel guilty Comfrey. They are both fab machines - you just have to decide which one is right for you. Don't forget the Cameo is a larger machine so will take up a bit more space.
I can confirm that my Robo has the optical eye for print and cut, (think it was the older models that didn't have)

elvie
08-07-2012, 10:31 PM
I sold my Cricut Expression and carts and bought a Cameo, Best thing I could have done, I love it. You can download Silhouette Studie and play with it before you decide. Might be worth you doing that.

Comfrey
09-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks Elvie, I'm afraid I couldn't fight it any longer and I ordered it on 4 pay thingys. I guess it's bean on toast for the next four months unless I can sell my cricut. :cheeky:

elvie
09-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks Elvie, I'm afraid I couldn't fight it any longer and I ordered it on 4 pay thingys. I guess it's bean on toast for the next four months unless I can sell my cricut. :cheeky:

Cricuts do sell very well on ebay, take a good photo, sell any Cartridges separately. Try to get it to end on a Fri or Sat evening, when people are at home and in a good mood. Good Luck, You will love the Cameo, its a fab machine.

Dips
09-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Cricuts do sell very well on ebay, take a good photo, sell any Cartridges separately. Try to get it to end on a Fri or Sat evening, when people are at home and in a good mood. Good Luck, You will love the Cameo, its a fab machine.

And at the end of the month after folk have got paid! Alternatively, decide what's a fair price (by looking at completed listings) and put it on as a Buy It Now. That's what I did with my Silhouette, I pitched my price at what was being typically achieved by auctions and it sold within 4 days.

When you are off the beans on toast, invest in the extra long mat as well and some A3 card and you can cut your own fancy card blanks and boxes!

By the way - when your machine arrives, please remove some of the tackiness of it by gently pressing a well-washed pillowcase over it. I didn't and my first 2 attempts were ruined by not being able to get the card/paper off the mat.

Comfrey
09-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Oh thank you for your help. Ill take both of your advice about the cricut. It's hardly used and I have brand new mats and blades to go with it.

Im actually getting really excited, I just need to get rid of the dreadful catholic guilt I feel lol

elvie
09-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Don't feel guilty, life is too short, just enjoy your new toy.

Dips, I am still on my first mat but thinking I should get a spare mat and Blade, any tips on the best place to get them, thanks.

Dips
09-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Oh thank you for your help. Ill take both of your advice about the cricut. It's hardly used and I have brand new mats and blades to go with it.

Im actually getting really excited, I just need to get rid of the dreadful catholic guilt I feel lol

I fully understand, Comfrey, as I felt exactly the same when I got my Cameo when I'd already got a perfectly adequate smaller Silhouette. However, I hardly used that machine as it wasn't suited to my needs, whereas I now have a machine that I use regularly. Plus my machine went onto a lovely older lady who was just dipping her toe into electronic cutters, she was on a budget and my old machine was perfect for her, so all-in-all it turned out to be a good thing.

Dips, I am still on my first mat but thinking I should get a spare mat and Blade, any tips on the best place to get them, thanks.

Elvie - I bought my longer mat and a replacement blade from CraftsULove - at the time they were one of only a few retailers with stock of the longer mat. The service was excellent, as in I received what I ordered very quickly. HTH!

Dax
12-07-2012, 01:33 AM
Thanks Elvie, I'm afraid I couldn't fight it any longer and I ordered it on 4 pay thingys. I guess it's bean on toast for the next four months unless I can sell my cricut. :cheeky:Comfrey I hope you don't have to wait too long for your Cameo to arrive. Downloading Studio software while you are waiting is a really good idea. For tutorials, free files etc., check out ukscrappers. They helped me when I first bought my Robo and then my Cameo which I love.If you have any problems just give a shout. If other Cameo owners on here can't help I will try although I might not be able to reply straight away as we are on holiday in wet Devon with a very iffy mobile wifi signal, but I will be home in just over a weeks time. Tonight is the first night I have got online since we arrived.

Comfrey
12-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Thank you love. I've had to get in touch with graphtec already because the software gets stuck on initialising. They got back to me within an hour (amazing) and apparently it's an issue with Toshiba laptops and they gave me a solution. I haven't put it into practise yet because I was in bed when America called :)

But thanks again Dax, it's very kind of you to put up with my whittling, I'm sure you'll rue the day you offered to help :D

Jacksmissis
12-07-2012, 11:21 AM
:mysmilie_492:

No she wont Comfrey!! she's a nice lady and she helped me alot, as did some other members on here with Cameo's. It was Dax who told me to download the gubbins before I got 'Gracie' (you dont have to give him/her a name - I'm just sad!!), I found it so helpful and I also printed off any written tutorials, from anyone and fixed them into an old folder . "UKS" is one of the sites I'm a member of too - very helpful forum. Please dont struggle - Just YELL

Comfrey
17-07-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm yelling.
please help. I'm having trouble with the blade and now I've broken the tip. I've been searching online and joined ukscrappers to get some hints, but I'm scared I've made a really big mistake buying it. It seems a lot of people can't sort out the 'blade issue'

Ive ordered another blade but if they keep breaking and keep getting bunged up with paper, it's going to be expensive. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the card just rips and doesn't cut at all. Thes not point having it if I can't do intricate designs, I may as well keep. The cricut

Im so disheartened :(

jenty
17-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Why not contact Hayley and see what she says? She was very helpful when I had my Robo and was having trouble with it. If you use Facebook you could send a private message or maybe contact her through her blog.

Pete
17-07-2012, 09:07 AM
I think you are very unlucky to have broken the blade tip. I bought my Cameo on POW about six weeks (maybe longer) ago, and have used it most days since (and quite heavily too). I have seen on different forums that there are issues with the blade, but not just lately...I know Sihouette were working on it.
I don't think they keep breaking, so enjoy, and don't worry about it....I love mine, and haven't cut a decoupage out without it since!
pete

elvie
17-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Oh this is such a shame, I think you have just been unlucky, did you cut anything before the blade broke or did it break straight away? I think you should contact Graphtec as this shouln't happen. Please don't give up. Its a fab machine I'm sure you will love it once the blade has been replaced. Chin up x

Comfrey
17-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Thank you everyone. I did ring graphtec uk and they just said I needed to be more careful with the blade. But if it's going to break every time you are slightly off with the settings then it's really not worth it.

I wasn't tough on it at all and the card I used was pretty standard although heavier than 80lbs which is actually quite thin (I googled).
Im just hoping I got a dodgy blade and that the new ones work fine, but after what the graphtec chap said, I'm very wary of using it.

jenty
17-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Comfrey, did you calibrate the machine before you used it? Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I have a recollection they have to be calibrated just the once (unless you are going to be carrying it around so would need more). I might be completely wrong and thinking of another machine. Don't give up, I am sure it's just bad luck the blade had broken. They seem quite strong machines.

Comfrey
17-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Jenty isn't the calibration just for print and cut to make sure the cameo is aligned to the printer correctly? I may be wrong of course :(

Inky
17-07-2012, 02:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpRqEdJGEhE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0k280f3jYI&feature=fvwrel

Dax
18-07-2012, 01:40 AM
I'm yelling.
please help. I'm having trouble with the blade and now I've broken the tip. I've been searching online and joined ukscrappers to get some hints, but I'm scared I've made a really big mistake buying it. It seems a lot of people can't sort out the 'blade issue'

Ive ordered another blade but if they keep breaking and keep getting bunged up with paper, it's going to be expensive. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the card just rips and doesn't cut at all. Thes not point having it if I can't do intricate designs, I may as well keep. The cricut

Im so disheartened :(

Sorry to read you are having problems already Comfrey.

I don't think a blade tip is broken when cutting unless it is not sitting in the holder properly. I push the unit up by holding the screw at the front and insert the blade then turn the screw to the right to tighten. This ensures the blade tip does not drop down to low.

I have not broken the tip of my blades but they have worn down quicker than my Robo blades. I bought my Cameo last November when C&C had them first. There is a problem with some blades and I have heard that Silhouette US, Graphtech GB and Graphtec Japan are redesigning the blade. I have sent two blades back to Graphtec GB and both were replaced. I am at present using a Robo blade as they work in the Cameo. This does mean that I have to do a double cut on thicker card but I can also use cheaper spindle blades. Tina sells them on her web site for £7.99 each. I bought a can of air from Poundland and when I use my Cameo blade give it a spray after use.

Unfortunately Silhouette & Craft Robos do not like fibrous card and knowing what will cut cleanly and what won't comes with practice. I have not had a problem with C&C card including mirri and Supersmooth card.

Jenty isn't the calibration just for print and cut to make sure the cameo is aligned to the printer correctly? I may be wrong of course :(

Your right Comfrey, a Cameo, Silhouette SD and Craft Robo only need calibrating if the print & cut is out. It is not to align to the printer but alignment to the registration marks printed with the images so that the machine knows precisely where to cut.

Comfrey
18-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks so much Dax. I think I might try a craft robo blade too, just in case. I would buy one from Tina, but I don't know who she is :mysmilie_516:

Im expecting the new blade today so I'll let you know how I get on. Wish me luck :cheeky:

Dax
19-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Thanks so much Dax. I think I might try a craft robo blade too, just in case. I would buy one from Tina, but I don't know who she is :mysmilie_516:

Im expecting the new blade today so I'll let you know how I get on. Wish me luck :cheeky:

I wish you luck Comfrey. I am very reluctant to use the replacement blade I bought from C&C a while ago when it was free p&p.

Tina designs and sells cutting templates and her latest C.D. was on C&C recently. http://www.forevermemoriesforyou.co.uk/
Sorry I can't get the page up with the spindles on but my wifi connection here in wet North Devon is unbelievably slow. I click on a web site or page then go and play freecell while it takes ages to load or not. It takes me ages to read posts and even longer to do a post.

Comfrey you do need to have a Craft Robo blade unit to be able to use the replacement spindle blades. http://www.graphtecgb.co.uk/shop/show_product.asp?category=20111026113048_GRAPHTEC&product=20120127103724_GRAPHTEC_7055&menulevel=

It is a big shame that Graphtec have not designed a Cameo ratchet blade unit which you can change just the spindle blade like in their Pro machines.

Dips
19-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Comfrey, don't lose heart, I broke my first blade as well. In my case it was because I had had the previous Silhouette (a craft robo) and mistakenly used the same settings initially when I actually needed to use lower settings. I now ALWAYS do a test cut on an off cut when use a new type of card in the Silhouette, starting off on a low setting, and working up until it cuts the card, then saving those settings. I also tend to use the double cut feature in place of making the blade depth too high a number. Hope you stick with it, as my machine is such a favourite now, just wish they would also do a sugarcraft version like Cricut do!

Comfrey
19-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks to you both. The blade has arrived and I looked at it yesterday and then looked at it again and showed it hubby, who looked at it. Now I guess I'd better use it :confused2: