PDA

View Full Version : Crochet

RozMinis
26-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Ok I know it isn't knitting, but as we don't have a dedicated crochet thingie wotsit, this is the nearest to it. Not a lot of difference anyway between the two as far as I am concerned. I do 'em both, or did, bit too difficult to do much these days as my fumble gets way too cold. :(

Anyhoooo I digress. I have actually done some mini crochet this afternoon. Not much I grant you, a 1/12th scale oven glove thingie, going to make a pot holder and a teacosy tomorrow. I've also fished out several other designs I want to make for a Christmas Advent swap (Dolls House Yahoo group), so will have to get bizzy, no doubt with help from two furry persons. :)

Roz

jenty
26-07-2012, 07:44 PM
I do like crochet, though not done much lately. When my ED was going to be christened, I crocheted the dress to avoid having to choose between mum and MIL who both offered robes. I have bought some 1/12th patterns with the idea of using them on cards not had a chance to do any yet. I love miniature things.

suban
26-07-2012, 08:16 PM
On the penultimate round of my tablecentre. Still got the blanket to finish - it's getting that heavy I can only work on it when I'm sitting in bed. BTW when you're knitting or crocheting do you find yourself speeding up as you get near the end of the yarn - to try and finish before yarn runs out? Mam used to, and now I do!

RozMinis
28-07-2012, 06:50 PM
On the penultimate round of my tablecentre. Still got the blanket to finish - it's getting that heavy I can only work on it when I'm sitting in bed. BTW when you're knitting or crocheting do you find yourself speeding up as you get near the end of the yarn - to try and finish before yarn runs out? Mam used to, and now I do!

Yup, same with cross stitching. bliddy stoopid I know as the thread/yarn isn't gonna go any further regardless of how fast one works.

Finished a mini bassinet this morning. Now waiting for it to dry, have to use glue to stiffen it. Not sure I got the proportions right though. I used one part glue to two parts water, methinks it should have been the other way around. No matter, if it isn't stiff enough tomorrow, then I will do it again. No hurry as it doesn't have to be in the post, along with the other 24 items, until November. :) Having done the bassinet, it will need decorating with ribbon and stuff, and will also need bedding, I decided I ought to dress a wee baby as well. Unfortunately the rubber babies are no longer being made, luckily I still have about eight left of the sleeping babies, plus several standing/crawling ones.

I finished the kitchen set by the way, also made a set of five snowflake decorations for a mini tree. I have made a start on a hooded sleeping bag type thingie. Knitted this time, and using 0.80 knitting needles. Actually it says 21 on the packet, so my metric wotsit may be a little out. I tried size 20 to begin with, but even with the Colcoton, which is slightly finer than 80's tatting cotton, it was still going to be too big for my rubber baby. It would probably be ok for the Sue Harrington china one, but they are way too expensive to give away, as in about £15 each the last time I bought one. I couldn't afford to buy them each time I needed one for my designs for DHMS, so ended up removing the clothes and reusing the doll. One of the Heidi Ott toddler dolls was reused four times. I am nothing if not mean!

Not really happy about knitting with such small needles, though I know others go down to a size 24, no idea what the heck that is in metric. I have to knit really slowly or I stick the needle in my finger. Everything seems to have it in for that poor finger. If it isn't the knitting needle, it is the crochet hook, even my sewing needles seem to have it in for it. :( Not sure fi I will manage to get it finished tomorrow, but I will give it my best shot. :)

Roz

suban
28-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Well ran out of cotton half way round the last round. Have put it to one side as I know I've got more of the cotton in a safe place. Doing a tablecloth in 4 ply cotton now.

budgie
28-07-2012, 07:34 PM
I am another who used to go faster when I was getting towards the end of my yarn. Knew it was silly, and wouldn't make any difference, but still did it anyway, no matter how hard I tried not to!

suban
28-07-2012, 07:37 PM
It's definitely a thready trait!!!

snowflake
28-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Me too. And to make it worse I still get the feeling that it should or might work!!! Mx

suban
29-07-2012, 04:44 AM
Yes, I often get surprised that it runs out before I want it to! Why would a 2 ft length of yarn do a whole row of knitting or crochet? Because I want it to?

RozMinis
29-07-2012, 07:10 PM
I've now updated my Photobucket with more mini goodies. They are in sub albums named crochet, knitting and cross stitch. Got some more piccies of the little monsters watching the washing going round and round, but they are still in the camera.

Roz

suban
29-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Beautiful pieces of work Roz!