PDA

View Full Version : Boot Fairs

Chalet School Fan
01-09-2012, 02:54 PM
We have a regular weekend boot fair a few hundred yards from the house during the summer months. I usually wander down there (it counts as exercise!) and invariably come away with needlework goodies. Last time it was two plastic boxes full of DMC thread wound onto bobbins plus a big bag of usable aida pices for £15 and today a Country Companions chart book with all the DMC threads needed to sew them for £1 (as well as an unused Sizzix original die for £3). :clapping:
As I run a craft club at school and the girls want to learn cross stitch I am now well set up for the coming term, especially as I found some mini-kits in our local Oxfam for a few pence as well.
Any other good boot fair finds out there?

01-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Well done. :clapping: On the rare occassions I go to a bootee I never see anything :sad: but I know lots of peeps do.

kinglake
01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
wow that sounds like a good car boot. Have you ever tried selling at one? I did and its hard work lol.Hope you craft club goes well.jo

Chalet School Fan
01-09-2012, 07:50 PM
I think it's the luck of the draw. It's often people who have cleared an elderly relative's house and are just delighted to get rid of stuff they see as junk, but which contains real treasures for crafters.
I keep meaning to sell as we're trying to clear out junk, but I never seem to get organised. Obviously a job for the winter so I'm ready for next year.

Rentochops
01-09-2012, 08:09 PM
There are loads over here but I don't go as most of them start really early and I can't be doing haggling over 20p! I know some people who love them though and you really got some good bargains there CSF!

Lovecrafting
01-09-2012, 08:23 PM
I think it's the luck of the draw. It's often people who have cleared an elderly relative's house and are just delighted to get rid of stuff they see as junk, but which contains real treasures for crafters.
I keep meaning to sell as we're trying to clear out junk, but I never seem to get organised. Obviously a job for the winter so I'm ready for next year.

This has been my resolution for years. Good luck!!!

jenty
01-09-2012, 09:21 PM
My DD loves to do them and any crafty stuff I give her usually sells. I sort it out and price it up for her and it clears my stash a little and makes a few pennies. I have been having a sort out today of some boxes and was very excited to find some skeleton leaves! Thought I had got rid of them all so can't wait to try some of Ali's techniques on them.

suban
02-09-2012, 04:43 AM
Going to start next year, - got to sell stuff to raise funds for more stash!!!

Chalet School Fan
02-09-2012, 05:26 AM
I tried to do that at a table sale and our local Brown Owl snapped up lots of stuff for her Brownies to use. I felt guilty about charging her, so when I have a sort out she gets a box full of stuff. At least I know it's going to a good home and encouraging the next generation of crafters. :)

suban
02-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Good for you!!!! At least it's not going to the local skip!!!

Deefersmum
02-09-2012, 09:06 AM
I went to a car boot last weekend (the first in about 3 years) and although it wasn't massive due to the weather and there was no craft bits and bobs, I was in heaven because a lady was clearing out her shabby chic/folk art shop and everything was very reasonable. Whenever I buy items I like to play around with them i.e. paint them etc., so I was having a lovely time yesterday. Sad I know!

suban
02-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Good for you - if that's your thing - GO FOR IT!!!

Chalet School Fan
02-09-2012, 07:57 PM
I like the excitement of the hunt! If I go to a shop to buy something particular I know what I am getting, but at a Boot Fair or jumble sale ANYTHING might show up ( or not).

craftycat
03-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Can you sell things on here or is it not allowed, i would think you might get a better price if your allowed to advertise what you have for sale on here, just a thought

Folks do sell stuff on here, but not quite sure what the rules are.

Car boot sales are few and far between around here. Only one that I know of, run on bank holidays but I haven't made it for the last few years. Quite a lot of the tables were actually dealers and not very exciting.

Chalet School Fan
03-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Sounds as if I have been very lucky at our local boot fair. My past hauls have included a Xyron electronic cutter, which I passed on to a work colleague when I invested ina Cricut, and a huge pile of 12 x 12 Basic Grey papers from a craft shop which had closed and was selling off the last remnants of stock.

RozMinis
04-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Oh I used to lurve jumble sales. Never been to a car boot sale as they don't tend to have any near where I live. :( Mind you I haven't been to a jumble for years either, not since the one I helped with for the Samaritans. I was really disgusted by the attitude of some of the buyers. Most of the stuff was selling for pennies anyway, but flippin' heck, many wanted stuff for nothing. It was for charity too, that is what upset me more than anything.

When I have bought from charity shops, I always add a little something extra to the price. I found a nice wee teapot yesterday for £1.99, ideal size for my herb teas. No idea which charity it was though, there are so many of 'em on Market Street, and was in and out of them like a yo-yo hunting for my teapot. When I have made up my mind I want somat, then I will find it, even if I have to turn Barnsley upside down and inside out. Well it never does the place any harm to have a good shaking! ;)

Roz

Chalet School Fan
08-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Another good trip to the boot fair - bag containing 6 large pieces of aida and a box with 50 skeins of Madeira threads (all sorts including silk and metallic) for £4. That will keep my mini-crafters happy on Tuesday lunchtimes!!
We are running a Mexican themed quiz night this evening to raise money for some young people going to Mexico to build houses for disadvantaged families. DH had the stick on bandit moustache, poncho and sombrero, but I have now bought him a pair of wooden maraccas for £1 in the hope that he can makes a noise with them to keep order while he bawls out the questions!!!! I just have to write the questions and add up the scores, so I reckon I get the easier part of the deal. :)

suban
08-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Think that's going to be the way to keep my stash levels up for a wee while!!!

Chalet School Fan
08-09-2012, 10:13 PM
It is amazing what turns up in charity shops and boot fairs when people have lost interest in crafting. In our local animal rescue charity shop (I always look in there because they found our William for us) I picked up a file labelled knitting patterns and found it full of Lavender and Lace cross stitch patterns. Bought them all and the file for £5. One day I'll get around to making them!

suban
09-09-2012, 06:16 AM
The words "jammy" and "so-and-so" in one sentence springs to mind!!!!! But I can bear it CSF!

Chalet School Fan
09-09-2012, 07:28 AM
I felt the same when I got home and realised what was in there.
But isn't there a saying about the sun shining on the righteous! :mysmilie_50:

In reality such gems are few and far between - it's a bit like gold prospecting really; only the occasional nuggets.

suban
09-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Lets face it even at 7.50 per pattern that's one whoopee of a find!!!!

RozMinis
11-09-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm green, pink and purple with envy. ;) Mind you I've found a few rather splendid crafty bargains at our local fluffit and woofit shop. Managed to get one of the GG boards for a fiver, flower Soft stuff for next to nothing, and one of Jane Nestorenco (spl) stamps for £2. It was one of those £10 jobs she used to sell, and unused at that. Also managed to get a kitchen table for £8 that is now in my craft room. :)

Roz