PDA

View Full Version : Inkjet or laser printer advice please

almy
11-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Hi

I am looking at buying a new printer and wondered if any one had any opinions on the types of printer for general printing and crafting (pinting from CD's) before I take the plunge.

Almy

Lovecrafting
11-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Hi - I bought a new inkjet printer for my daughter's wedding as I was making the invites, RSVP's.........

We had to change the base card (from the one my daughter wanted originally) as the printer couldn't handle the weight - so check on the maximum weight of paper/card stock that the printer is able to use.

Also, I found it didn't recognise transluscent white vellum - which I used for the inserts. I had to place a sheet of card behind the vellum - send the 2 through together - then the printer printed on the vellum (althought it thought it was printing onto card). What a faff - as I had to send each one through separately instead of being able to do a bulk print. If vellum is something you maybe printing onto then check if the printer will recognise it.

pyjama princess
11-09-2012, 04:16 PM
I've had my printer for several years now but love it for my card making - especially printing from cd roms. It's a Canon MP610. It takes printing matter from either the front cassette or from the rear feed. I always put my card into the rear feed. When you print from the front tray it's bent over a roller to feed it out the front and that's why most printers don't like card. I've used 300gsm (possibly 325gsm - not sure?) with no problem.
I no longer use Canon ink catridges as the printer is so old. I buy from
http://www.refreshcartridges.co.uk/
They're really cheap and free next day delivery if ordered before 5.30pm. I ordered at 5pm on Friday and they came on Saturday morning.

jube
11-09-2012, 07:36 PM
DH will not let me get a laser printer as he says it cost too much to buy the massive cartridges which goes in them.

morgana123
11-09-2012, 07:56 PM
I have to confess I always buy my printers from argos and purchase their extended no quibble guarantee which has been a godsend with the amount of hammer my printers have had with three of us doing uni and open uni courses and then my crafting on top. I always refil my ink cartridges myself, ususally five or six times before getting new carts - well I say new they are usually tesco own brand. I have broken two printers trying to print on card that was too thick for the printer to feed through - dont have a rear feed printer but of course have just taken it back to argos and the insurance has replaced it. All I have had to do is buy a new insurance policy each time I change the printer so in the last five years it has cost me the initial £75 outlay for the wifi printer and so far three lots of insurance at £12.99. This latest one is doing quite well but I have been careful what weight of card I try to print on.

Cant say I have had a problem with vellum - the odd time I have used it it fed through and printed ok as has acetate. Would love a laser printer but the outlay is prohibitive so I will carry on with the inkjet and refilling my carts.

Marilynmcl
11-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Must agree on the laser printer and the weight of paper/card which it will or will not print onto. If I want to print heavy weight card I use my Canon pixma printer and if I want to foil anything onto paper I use my laser printer...have done all daughter's wedding stationary on the laser printer for the inserts and my Canon printer for the outside cards. So...you could have one of each if you want. I love both of mine..the laser printer was a gift from my hubby!

vampyre
11-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Laser printers are far more economical to run than inkjets. I love my canon inkjet but my samsung wireless networked laser printer is used a massive amount and has yet to need toner after more than 2 years.

jenty
11-09-2012, 10:44 PM
I did a lot of research when needing a new printer to make sure it would print onto card and have a Hewlett Packard 6940 that is excellent. I also have another HP that was inexpensive in case the other breaks down and that is an HP D2600 and is a good little workhorse. A laser would be good for doing foiling but are more expensive to run.

jube
12-09-2012, 07:55 AM
We now have 4 printers in the house as everyone is back home and they are all epson. Only one of the actually works now but takes ages to print. My wish is to have a wireless one so we can all use it without having to keep re jigging the wires around. The reason only one works is because if the other printers are not used it tells us that it's out of ink and we have to change the cartidges so it uses them at an alarming rate, and also the computers can't find them and we have to reload them. DH will not let me get rid so I now have 3 sitting in my garage