PDA

View Full Version : Coats 4 Day Deal

Deefersmum
21-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Not all of the items are shown yet but they include patterns, machines and thread - am I dreaming or is Coats one of the makers of cotton/thread? Haven't done any 'proper' sewing for sometime now..

agelesscraft
21-09-2012, 04:41 PM
You are not dreaming Coats make Patons Wool & Anchor Cross Stitch kits / threads and others.

Lioness
21-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Yes I'm sure I have some Coats sewing thread somewhere from a long way back.

RozMinis
21-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Used to use only Coats threads at one time, probably because that was all I could find. Well it was when Adam was still wearing a fig leaf! ;) Think the last time I bought anything from them was the 80's tatting cotton. I can still find the thread, and have been given several skeins over the years, but I now tend to only use DMC as that is the easiest for me to buy. Not that I buy it very often as I have the full set of colours, so it is only the usual suspects that have to be replaced. I usually stock up with those at the stitching group.

Roz

suban
21-09-2012, 06:38 PM
They also make fusible and non-fusible interlinings.

Mamma Bear
21-09-2012, 08:11 PM
The Coates shows starting on Monday are fabric bundles

xx:bear:

suban
22-09-2012, 05:18 AM
Oh Mamma Bear!!!! Fingers in ears and singing loudly!

Muffintop
22-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Oh Mamma Bear!!!! Fingers in ears and singing loudly!

Me too! I really cannot afford to buy anything more in the fabric line as trying to destash. I've just bought some patterns on ebay so I can constructively use the stash I have.

Oh Lord, please don't make the fabric bundles nice patterns which I just need and on Flexi-pay...:angel:

suban
22-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Singing even louder!!!!!

Dax
22-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Not all of the items are shown yet but they include patterns, machines and thread - am I dreaming or is Coats one of the makers of cotton/thread? Haven't done any 'proper' sewing for sometime now..

No your not dreaming they made Coats cotton machine thread then brought out Drima their polyester thread in the late 70s. I had a wool shop then for a few years and we sold it along with their Anchor embroidery threads. I still have the little two tier draw unit full of Drima. The rep came along and pursuaded us to take a big stand and when we sold the shop the little unit came home with us. :giggle: Along with some Anchor and various packets of wool. :wink:

Mamma Bear
22-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Bundle of fabric with a jelly roll/charm pack or fat quarter pack as well..less than £30.00 and free p&p.
Thats the rumour...

:bear:

Granny Penny
22-09-2012, 10:55 PM
I heard that rumour too Mama Bear. I think Debbie has been using some of the fabrics in the samples that have been on the POW shows and there have been some very pretty fabrics on there - oh dear.

suban
23-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Mamma Bear, and GP hecky thump!!!!! That is so naughty of you!!!! Well at least it's better than spellbinder bundles that I could never afford!

Muffintop
23-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Bundle of fabric with a jelly roll/charm pack or fat quarter pack as well..less than £30.00 and free p&p.
Thats the rumour...

:bear:

Oh boy! I doomed....

Muffintop
23-09-2012, 09:53 AM
I heard that rumour too Mama Bear. I think Debbie has been using some of the fabrics in the samples that have been on the POW shows and there have been some very pretty fabrics on there - oh dear.

I had a look on the site and I like them all. Just purchased patterns on ebay for rag dolls and cushions, and just realised I don't have any striped fabric in my stash. (Closes eyes so cannot read any further enabling posts about must-have fabric...).

RozMinis
23-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Got a couple of drawers full of material, so apart from maybe investing in a piece for the back of my Advent calendar, I will avoid the shows like the plague. ;)

Roz

copsie_girl
24-09-2012, 07:48 AM
I was watching a bit of this show at 8am. Pretty fabrics but it's not really clear from the description or the presentation whether you get 3 lots of 1yd or 3 lots of 3yd bundles of fabric. £30 for 3 yards of fabric is expensive in my view, a very good deal if it's 9 yards.

CG

Muffintop
24-09-2012, 08:32 AM
I was watching a bit of this show at 8am. Pretty fabrics but it's not really clear from the description or the presentation whether you get 3 lots of 1yd or 3 lots of 3yd bundles of fabric. £30 for 3 yards of fabric is expensive in my view, a very good deal if it's 9 yards.

CG

I thought it was 3 yards in total plus the extra jelly roll, fat quarter or charm pack.

I agree, pretty fabric but not sure it's really a good deal. I have some Amy Butler in my stash I bought from Get Knitted in their sale and I think at full price it was £7-£8 a metre and it's a lovely pattern.

However, all credit to C&C for doing a 4-day deal on fabric and also for the variety of items produced. However, I would have liked to have seen the black and white combo used as well.

suban
24-09-2012, 09:46 AM
It isn't clear from the web either.

Mamma Bear
24-09-2012, 11:14 AM
You get 3 pieces of fabric, each piece is 1 yard in length and 43 inches wide, plus the design roll, charm pack or fat quarter pack.
So a total of 3 yards of fabric plus the extra roll/pack.

xx:bear:

suban
24-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Bliddy expensive if you ask me!!!! I can buy fabrics for £1.50 to £2.50 a metre in the market!!!!

RozMinis
24-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Bliddy expensive if you ask me!!!! I can buy fabrics for £1.50 to £2.50 a metre in the market!!!!

Me too. Even PJ Textiles in Barnsley isn't that expensive. Noticed they also had a stall in the upstairs indoor market too. first time I've looked round that bit of the market since it was done up a few years ago. Amazing what you find when hunting out toys for a couple of fluffits! ;)

Didn't care for any of the colours on the 4 Day Deal. Pink has never been one of my favourite colours, not that thrilled with stripes either. The rest looked a bit insipid to me. Would much rather buy what I want in Barnsley, or even online.

Roz

suban
24-09-2012, 08:09 PM
One thing I want to do on a day trip to London is go to Berwick Street Market - the shops round there sell sari fabric, and I want some to make some exotic looking cushions!

Muffintop
25-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Our local indoor market is hopeless. Few stalls and a total lack of interest by the local council, it's not in the centre of the city and you have to get down a really run-down street with empty shops to get to it so people are not enticed into that area at all, sadly.

However, there is going to be a monthly craft market on the last Friday of each month in the square near the church. An enterprising lady has started it up and the interest from the public has been very good. I know she is looking for stall holders, I think she's charging something like £10-20 for a stall. It's too far from my office to get to which is a shame. It's really good to see something in that area let along something especially for crafts.

suban
25-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Could do with something like that round here! Can't tell the Friday Flea market from the regulat Saturday and Monday markets!

Muffintop
26-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Markets should be at the centre of each town and city but seem to be treated with disdain by councils. Even the wonderful market at Leeds has been downsized from what it was.

Never mind Mary Portas , let's start an e-petition to bring back markets - get 140,000 something signatures and don't they have to discuss it is Parliament?

knit1
26-09-2012, 10:14 AM
I buy a bundle of FQs from Ebay for around a fiver. I certainly wouldn't pay an extra £25 on C&C.

I have to say though, how bloomin' talented is Wendy Poole?! What she has made with the fabric is amazing, and I'm really surprised at how far she has made the fabric go! I was particularly amazed by the bustier, even using the ribbon that comes wrapped around the fabric, as the tie for it.

She is so clever!

suban
26-09-2012, 02:28 PM
I agree Wendy Poole is talented!!!!!

Would also sign any petition for more markets!!!

Muffintop
26-09-2012, 03:16 PM
I love watching Wendy Poole. If you have a look at her website it shows the stuff she makes and how talented she really is.

The Free Spirit fabric is on the Cotton Patch site at £10-ish per metre. Lovely fabric but I cannot justify it at the moment. I'm using up my stash and making cloth dolls. Just found out you can buy the bodies already made up. I did get some patterns off ebay but not confident I can get the bodies right first go. I've ordered the bodies of two dolls and a rabbit. Oh dear, thought it would save money using up my stash!

I spent today sewing up old curtains and lining into pads for the local dog shelter's residents; beds. (Black and gold curtains and white linings so nothing to lurid for the beds...).

Well, I did until my cotton ran out and I managed to lose my spool thread cap when changing it. I'm not sure if they are universal but found a website where you get free shipping. I've sent them an email asking if they are available.