PDA

View Full Version : new box board

happycrafter
19-10-2012, 07:30 PM
I didn't resist this board with hearts and oval boxes, but after looking at all the recordings of the hours I did not see it demonstrated in any of them........... I have no clue how they make these boxes. I even sent an email in to the studio and Sarah said she would show it in a later show that day. I then checked the program and there were no more shows. I called them up to ask about it and was told it was so new that there were no tutorials for it yet. Is this normal for a new board ? no instructions ? no demos ?

kinglake
19-10-2012, 07:53 PM
That is strange. I saw a few shows but only saw sara making the boxes up,why don't you email sara direct? jo

craftycat
19-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Or check out youtube?.

Boxes aren't difficult. Most of the box boards have a set of lines for the base and another set for the top ( a bit bigger) then it is a case of scoring, snipping the corners and gluing. Hope that makes sense. When I make a box (rarely) I use my Hougie.

Jilly
19-10-2012, 09:28 PM
To me it looked as though the board was just giving you the different heart or oval shapes - I couldn't see how you would make the depth going round it!

craftycat
20-10-2012, 04:49 AM
Didn't realise the boxes were heart and oval shapes

happycrafter
20-10-2012, 06:30 AM
Or check out youtube?.

Boxes aren't difficult. Most of the box boards have a set of lines for the base and another set for the top ( a bit bigger) then it is a case of scoring, snipping the corners and gluing. Hope that makes sense. When I make a box (rarely) I use my Hougie.

no problems with boxes, I have been making boxes for years but these are round shapes and they are made up differentl. One is a heart and one is an oval and it is how to make the sides I am not quite sure. and how to attach the sides to the top.

happycrafter
20-10-2012, 06:32 AM
That is strange. I saw a few shows but only saw sara making the boxes up,why don't you email sara direct? jo

In the office they said they didn't know when she would be back. I don't really know how to contact her directly, do you ?

Richie
20-10-2012, 07:33 AM
I did see one show and Sara made a heart shaped box but it was a little bit rushed as the presenter [I think it was Martin] kept interrupting and reading emails so that Sara didn't really explain it well. She did seem to emboss the heart shape and then cut out the heart shape with about half an inch card around the shape. She then snipped into the "over-hang". She then said if you look at the board it has the measurement of the sides of the box marked depending on what size heart you first embossed. She cut out a long strip of card and then creased it in half and put the halfway point into the top of the heart shape. She then used redline tape on the tabs and eased the side wall of the box to stick to the tabs starting at the top of the heart and the crease she made in the side piece of card.

I hope that makes sense .........

ben10
20-10-2012, 07:44 AM
In the office they said they didn't know when she would be back. I don't really know how to contact her directly, do you ?

she has a Facebook page and if you message her she is usually quite quick to reply.

suban
20-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Richie - that means really you could use any shape on an embossing board?

Dax
20-10-2012, 07:02 PM
no problems with boxes, I have been making boxes for years but these are round shapes and they are made up differentl. One is a heart and one is an oval and it is how to make the sides I am not quite sure. and how to attach the sides to the top.

I would think the sides for the top and bottom are done the same way as making a lining for round and heart shaped cake tins. The width of the side plus the fold under to stick it down to the top or bottom. The length plus a bit to join then lots of cuts on the fold under as far as the fold line so it bends around the edge neatly. Probably have to put a liner in to hide the cut edge. Sorry if I am not explaining it very well.

Truly
21-10-2012, 08:24 AM
There are three different sizes of heart/oval boxes to make, each with 2 lines to emboss - one for the lid and t'other for the base. When you've embossed the line, cut around the shape leaving about a quarter of an inch gap. Then cut notches down to the embossed line and fold them in along the embossed line. Cut a strip of card the depth that you'd like your box to be and long enough to go around the outside edge of the heart/oval you're using. Then glue the notches and go around them with the long strip attaching it as you go. You now have either the base or the top of the box made. Do the same using the other line to make the other half of the box. One will fit inside the other. Sara cut another heart/oval shape to glue on to the top to hide any untidiness left by attaching the long strip to the shape. Hope I havn't repeated what someone else has already said -( not feeling too well today) - and I'm really hoping that the boards are going to come with some instruction 'cos I'll probably forget before they get here!! xxx

craftycat
21-10-2012, 12:27 PM

Someone has explained this in a post, shape is cut a bit bigger and snips are made in the edge - same as you do if lining a round cake tin (if that is any help). I hadn't realised this new board was for fancy shape boxes when I posted.

Hadn't looked at the latest posts (directly above this one). They explain it far better.

happycrafter
22-10-2012, 12:10 PM
thanks Richie and Truly, I think I get it. But you would think that instead of repeating over and over the same things they would show the new things. She kept showing the same demos every hour she was on. I don't think we can blame the presenters for that.

Carolina Moon
23-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Sara has a live chat at 6.30 tonight. The link is on her website.

tigra girl
23-10-2012, 06:53 PM
She mentioned someone called Pam ling in the live chat, I think she said that is the person that makes the boxes, here is a link to her blog, not sure if it will help but may be worth a look for ideas

http://hookedonkrafts.blogspot.co.uk/