PDA

View Full Version : Fundraising for Crisis

Chalet School Fan
22-11-2012, 06:09 PM
I survived my sleep-out for Crisis with my 55 Year 10 students last night. It wasn't too cold, although it was pretty windy when I patrolled the school grounds at 4am to check up on them. It them rained heavily at 5.30am so I had to wake up the group who were sleeping in the open and get them under cover in my office before they got completely soaked. In the end I got c.5 hours sleep on my office floor, with the door open straight onto the car-park, before teaching 10 lessons today!
My card selling and sponsorship has raised about £100 so far and the total for the whole group is about £1500 at the moment, so a worthwhile effort for homeless people at this cold time of year.

LoobyLou
22-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Well done CSF!

Mitzi
22-11-2012, 06:54 PM
It's a dilemma, isn't it... to get the proper experience, they should have stuck it out in the cold and rain and wind - but you, as the responsible adult, would presumably have been liable if they all caught chills and went down with pneumonia. A superb fundraising effort by you all though, to be applauded.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Chalet School Fan
22-11-2012, 07:37 PM
I agree Mitzi, but as they said to me, if they had been on the streets they'd have headed for a bus shelter at that point. My office used to be the school uniform shop and with the door wide open it does look a bit like a glass sided bus shelter. All the ones in porches or under roof overhangs we left alone to get dripped on!
We have breakfast with the boarders when they've cleared away their cardboard sleeping mats and sleeping bags but DH (who used to work with single homeless) reckons they should kitchen porter and do the washing up for the others before being fed. But health and safety won't let girls of their tender age into the kitchen!

Granny Penny
22-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Brilliant. Crisis is a charity I hold in very high regard so many congratulations on the fund raising.

suban
23-11-2012, 05:18 AM
I am so proud of you and the girls efforts!!!! Well done!!!!!