PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Cuttlebug

Phree
17-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Another victim of the global enconmic crisis is apparently the Cuttlebug. The news I heard today is that the company who manufacture the machine for Provocraft have gone bust and Provocraft have no plans at this moment in time to seek another manufacturer. Hard to beleive giving the lil' green 'bugs popularity.

Anne
17-02-2009, 08:27 PM
OMG - I'm utterly gobsmacked. Must admit to being underwhelmed by the Cricut, but I love my Cuttlebug. Must rush out and buy some more embossing folders. Where did you hear of this Phree?

DianaDreads
17-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Ooh, I heard a rumour that it might be discontinued last week. I've not got one as I already had a bigshot but I really love the embossing folders.

Marie
18-02-2009, 02:43 AM
Yes I'd heard that Provocraft were having problems - I did like my Cricut the couple of times it worked and will try to replace it soon otherwise I've spent money on stuff for it that will be wasted!

Marie
18-02-2009, 02:53 AM
Meant to mention that there were a number of comments last month about Provocraft having problems sorting out problems with the Cricut software, lots of people having problems similar to the ones I had and having to return them as they couldn't be "fixed". Even on the Provocraft Cricut users forum, people were making comments along these lines. So it's not unexpected.

I hope that someone will buy the licence to manufacture teh product even if hte company goes under, otherwise there will be a lot of unhappy Cricut owners around the world. Those American Cricut owners do love their Cricuts!

Jeanette
18-02-2009, 07:25 AM
OMG, how scary!

LorraineJ
18-02-2009, 07:43 AM
I guess those of us that have Cuttlebugs will be looking out for folders and dies that are hopefully going to be reduced.

Jeanette
18-02-2009, 08:21 AM
I guess those of us that have Cuttlebugs will be looking out for folders and dies that are hopefully going to be reduced.

Us Big Shotters will be on the lookout too Lorraine! ;)

SJT
18-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Doesn't mean that they will stop producing the folders/dies though

Given the size of the Provocraft booth at CHA, the fact that they are launching 2 new products this season (a screen printing machine and a heat binder/laminator) along with around 20 new Cricut cartridges, I would be surprised if we are about to see the end of them as a company.

Little Jan
18-02-2009, 10:51 AM

From what I see when this happens stock goes up in price due to demand:(

angela
18-02-2009, 12:21 PM
must buy some new dies and folders then before they become obsolete

Phree
18-02-2009, 12:29 PM
To clarify - I did not say ProvoCraft had gone down the tubes, only the company who manufacture the 'bug on behalf of ProvoCraft and that for now Provocraft have no plans to seek out a new manufacturing company for the 'bug. As far as the Cricut goes I have no information as to it's future, but I would imagine that a fairly substantial investment has been made into its developement and the develpment of the associated Cricut add ons such as the Juke Box and various cartridges. Provocraft are unlikely to throw that investment out of the window lightly.

However, that does not mean Provocraft or any other craft company are safe, IMO with the current economic mess that most of the World seems to be in I would imagine many craft companies are going to suffer and the demise of Luminarte is probably just the first of many that we will see over the next 12 to 18 months.

Anne
18-02-2009, 01:01 PM
There was a lot going on on the forum yesterday evening, and I was guilty of speed reading. Thanks for the clarification Phree. :)

SJT
18-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I am guessing that Provocraft hold a substantial stock of the 'bugs - so there won't be an immediate stock shortage.

They probably make more money from the folders and dies - and there is no reason to believe that they will be ceasing to provide them.

The good thing with modern diecutting is that many dies will work in a whole range of machines.

All is not lost!!

Little Jan
18-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Well I have been looking for the lace tree embossing folder for ages but they are not in stock only in the US or at a high price on ebay( when I last looked one was up to 13.00), but I managed to find the last one at place not too far from me, unfortunalty they are a trade place but I was lucky as they said that on this occation I could purchase the item at 3,99 and free p&p as they had limited cuttlebug stock I asked if there was a problem , they told me that the cuttle bug is being slowed down due to a new modifacation and that due to problems with the main cuttle bug distributor it will not be exporting stock for a while.but that as far as they knew there is plenty of stock in the country but any out of stock items will not be available for some time.How true this is I'm not sure but I know that when I was using a certain card stock that I could no longer get it was the same problem and as soon as a new distributor was found it all flooded the market again. So we shall see:rolleyes:

LoobyLou
23-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Hope this doesn't mean the ruddy plates will be difficult to get for the bug. I have already cracked three of the beggers. Can't afford to stockpile a load 'just in case'. grrrrrr

If this is really the case might look to invest in another die cutter.

Any recommendations for something that will do the bug folders and dies, bosscut dies and the nesties?

And I HATE the ruddy Wizard too. It deftly pinched the soft bit of flesh between thumb and forefinger and gave me a very nasty blood blister there, so I am not too keen on getting one of those instead.

Looby

Winspiration
23-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Ouch Looby!

I use the cuttlebug embossing folders & the nesties in my big shot - I think it can do most stuff.

Jeanette
24-02-2009, 05:16 AM
Ouch Looby!

I use the cuttlebug embossing folders & the nesties in my big shot - I think it can do most stuff.

I am a bigshotter too!!;) Looby, not sure it would work but maybe you could try the bigshots acrylic plates to save investing in a new machine

Little Jan
24-02-2009, 03:25 PM
I made an order for some cuttle bug dies ,folders and replacement plates (just in case)yesterday, the order arrived to day with 2 itams saying out of stock to follow, as these items are hard to come by I rang to check if they would be coming back in in case I needed to sorce them elsewhere. I was told that the maker of the cuttlebug is not going bust, and in fact they are bringing out more folders and dies in August and the plans are for a new electronic version, there are more cricut things coming out too.The women told me that she had been inundated with calls about the cuttlebug and said that she had not long come back from a trade fair where a representative from provocraft said that this is just gossip. The women I spoke too said that some items are seasonally available ie the lace tree folder, so they are not made or imported after that season and the lace tree will be out again around October, and like me now thinks this is a rumer spread by someone on craft sites who wants to sell items on ebay at a very marked up price.
And asked me to spread the word, so if anyone one here also belongs to other sites pass this on,I find it sad that anyone who is a genuine crafter would want to rip off fellow crafter a small mark up is ok but to spread this rumer to cause panick buying in this current climate is just not on

blueshowbizz
24-02-2009, 03:34 PM
I've been looking for the Provocraft 'Swiss Dots' folder for a while now - I'll maybe see if I can get one while I'm in USA next week (and probably a load of other stuff too that I just have to have) :)

Little Jan
24-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi I got my swiss dots today from www.craftathome.co.uk it was £3.99 but then you have to add P&p of 2,90 unless you spend over £40.00 I ordered some other bits but not enought to get free P&P but the service is brill ordered yesterday afternoon was her at 7,30 this morning. I look at it this way it would cost more on hte bus, if it run more often that is. more in petrol and parking and less hassel trapsing round trying top find a craft shop so I was happy to pay the p&p.
Stock of the folders ect are on the way to the uk so I have been informed but shipment is on a tri monthy basis. And that stocks are imported in seasonal burst ie the lace tree from Oct -Dec so even in the states it could be unavailable.

angela
24-02-2009, 05:07 PM
I hope it doesn't go out of distribution as I only bought mine last year.

Little Jan
24-02-2009, 06:27 PM
I hope it doesn't go out of distribution as I only bought mine last year.

read the above post angie its not going anywhere its all rumer lol

Phree
24-02-2009, 07:07 PM
I got this on another message board today - it's 3rd hand information so no idea how accurate it may be :

I have been chatting to one of the biggest Sizziz importers to the Uk,
yesterday, who have confirmed that. Sizzix and Provocraft were originally the
same company. Provocraft decided to split from Sizzix and go it alone
unfortunately this has not been very successful and so Sizzix have bought
Provocraft out along with their trademark. With the mergeance of Ellison/Sizzix
they are now trading under the same name and have re packaged their products.
The reason the production of Provecraft products is on hold is that they too are
now under the same trade name and are being repackaged under the Sissix logo..
Sizzix have already started producing new sets of embossing folders and the
'bug' ones will be repackaged with their logo new folders and dies will be out
for the 'bug' but under different packaging. Sizzix are all set to bring out a
new embossing/die cutting machine which will be released at a trade fair later
this year. The future of the 'bug' is not
yet known whether it will be repackaged under sizzix is a possiblility I
believe sizzix will be taking of the warranties of the 'bug' but this has not
yet been confirmed by Sizzix

angela
24-02-2009, 07:25 PM
thanks hopefully good news then

Little Jan
25-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Where did this come from Phree as I have spoken today with someone who said that this is utter tosh thier word not mine lol

That provocraft have not sold out to anyone and were not anyway connected to sissix anymore, sissix elison went there own way as they were mainly in the die cut trade.
This is what I was told by a trade buyer .That Provocraft are fully aware of the rumers going round. Sissix were part of Provocraft but the merged with ellison as they delt more with hand held die cuting machines. Provocraft are a stand alone company that deals more with electronic machines intened more for the business market or small home company. and are worth far more then sissix ellison put togetherThe cuttlebug is more for the at home crafter but it is best seller so they would be foolish to stop making it. The Cuttle bug has been slowed down in production due to sufficaint supplies and due to commitments in new teashirt printing machine and possible a electronic cuttlebug. Production of new dies and plates will comence in the next few months and will be availabe here around August.

Lets just hope that this is one smoked filled rumer with no fire

Little Jan
25-02-2009, 12:29 PM
after trawling the net ( I realy must get a life)it appears that this is from an old news flash when elison bought out sizzix . Sizzix where then part of provocraft. they were allowed to continue to sell sizzix dies under the provocraft name untill 2007 after which new packaging would state elison designs< but as some stock still states provocraft it is under the miss conception that ellison have bought out provocraft not the sizzix brand name.

greenacres20
25-02-2009, 07:49 PM
I too have heard this is a rumour. Provocraft apparantly were owed a substantial amount of money from an American company who were having a major cash flow problem. This meant that Provocraft were struggling and this is where the rumour stemed from. They have now resolved this and said that this rumour has caused havoc. D

purplicious
25-02-2009, 08:51 PM
We have spoken to our Cuttlebug supplier today and they have lots of stock of all plates, most folders and the machines and informed me that they have more stocks on the way and that there will be a few new folders out later in the year.

Regards

Phree
25-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks purplicious - I like my lil' green machine and would hate to think I won't be able to keep it fed with dies and folders and replacement cutting mats as and when it needs them.

Little Jan
26-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Just as I said before the cutlebug is safe for now, my kind stockest from up your way Phree said she will email me when all the the new stocks arrive:)

Phree
26-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Where about's up my way LJ? and lets keep our fingers crossed the 'bug is safe, it's a nice little machine and I like that it is easy to store away because if it's small footprint.

Little Jan
26-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Where about's up my way LJ? and lets keep our fingers crossed the 'bug is safe, it's a nice little machine and I like that it is easy to store away because if it's small footprint.

I have a small footprint too so I'm very eazy to store:D

sorry side tracked there Blantyre Lanarkshire

Phree
26-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Ah that'll be teh craft shop I visited recently ... Craft At Home if memory serves ? Very nice ladies in that shop.

LoobyLou
27-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Ouch Looby!

Thanks Welly, having continue to read this thread it is clearly not necessary now, but I will know where to try should I have to.

I am a bigshotter too!!;) Looby, not sure it would work but maybe you could try the bigshots acrylic plates to save investing in a new machine

Thanks for the idea Jeanette. Not sure if they are the same size, would need to get some measurements.

The bug plates do seem to crack awfully easily though......... at first I thought 'well it's better than breaking the bug' but the plates aren't cheap and at some point I might well weigh up the fact I am virutally paying the cost of a new machine in replacement plates......... wish I had grabbed the big shot when CAC had that ludicrously low offer on.

Looby

Pink Sapphire
28-02-2009, 06:25 PM
I did buy a couple of spare cutting mats and really must keep them for my embossing folders. I keep forgetting and then mess them up when cutting dies.

xPink

Little Jan
28-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Ah that'll be teh craft shop I visited recently ... Craft At Home if memory serves ? Very nice ladies in that shop.

Thats the one yes very nice ladies:)

Little Jan
28-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks Welly, having continue to read this thread it is clearly not necessary now, but I will know where to try should I have to.

Thanks for the idea Jeanette. Not sure if they are the same size, would need to get some measurements.

The bug plates do seem to crack awfully easily though......... at first I thought 'well it's better than breaking the bug' but the plates aren't cheap and at some point I might well weigh up the fact I am virutally paying the cost of a new machine in replacement plates......... wish I had grabbed the big shot when CAC had that ludicrously low offer on.

Looby

You keep breaking the plates, how are you doing that lol Ive been using mine a lot since I got it and my plates are fine except for the marks from die cutting, aparently you can only bereak the plates if you are over forcing stuff through the machine but saying that I'll probably go and break mine now.But I have got spare plates got a set for 6.99 jsut in case:rolleyes:

anna_fran
28-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Some of you may remember that when I tried to force through the Kars mat they used to give away with the 'bug it wasn't the plates that broke but the 'bug itself.

LoobyLou
01-03-2009, 07:00 AM
You keep breaking the plates, how are you doing that lol Ive been using mine a lot since I got it and my plates are fine except for the marks from die cutting, aparently you can only bereak the plates if you are over forcing stuff through the machine but saying that I'll probably go and break mine now.But I have got spare plates got a set for 6.99 jsut in case:rolleyes:

I believe I read somewhere that not all Bugs are made equal. From what I have seen they can be slightly different. For example a sandwich that works in one will not work in another and so therefore I guess that what might go through your's without damage could case a split in my plates.

The first plate I have to hold my hands up was completely my fault cos I either didn't RTFM or didn't pay attention to what I had read and was turning the plate around to 'remove the curl' and it went cracccckkkkkk and broke into three pieces.

The second one was because I added too much of a shim to an Ellison alpha die and it cracked the plate. I subscribed to Card Making and Papercraft and got a free Sidekick, or maybe it's a Tag a Long, lol, so that I could cut the Ellison alpha dies in the right machine after that.

The third plate, who knows maybe I had a faulty plate.... :rolleyes:

Looby

Anne
01-03-2009, 09:46 AM
I believe I read somewhere that not all Bugs are made equal. From what I have seen they can be slightly different. For example a sandwich that works in one will not work in another and so therefore I guess that what might go through your's without damage could case a split in my plates.

The first plate I have to hold my hands up was completely my fault cos I either didn't RTFM or didn't pay attention to what I had read and was turning the plate around to 'remove the curl' and it went cracccckkkkkk and broke into three pieces.

The second one was because I added too much of a shim to an Ellison alpha die and it cracked the plate. I subscribed to Card Making and Papercraft and got a free Sidekick, or maybe it's a Tag a Long, lol, so that I could cut the Ellison alpha dies in the right machine after that.

The third plate, who knows maybe I had a faulty plate.... :rolleyes:

Looby

That's a new one on me, but think I worked it out pretty quick!

I'm forever saying that to my hubby, but without the "F" of course. :)