PDA

View Full Version : Help with Decopatch

LoobyLou
17-12-2012, 09:53 PM
I have an old jewellery box thing that I want to tart up with the same techniques that the lovely Kay Halliwell recently showed on her IndigoBlu shows when she did the mannequin. My problem is I am not sure how to start. I get the stamping on tissue, which is the route I want to take, but I am not sure how to prepare the box. It's one of these sort of walnut veneer things, or at least that's what it looks like. So do I go over it with emulsion paint, or what before I start stamping and slapping on the tissue paper?

Any advice would be great thank you.

jr77
17-12-2012, 10:04 PM
I do this on oldcardboard boxes and usually lay down a few layers of plain tissue first. This is to cover up any the colour of the cardboard but it also fills in bumps and scratches and strengthens the cardboard. I would have thought with your box a coat of paint would do the same - giving you your desired background colour for your tissue and smoothing out any imperfections. I would give it a light sanding after woulds to give a key for the medium or glue you use. The smother the finish of the object you apply the tissue to the smoother the final finish.

Granny Penny
17-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I do like the decopatch effect and your plain tissue idea as a base is a great one Janet. I have done a total of one box so far (butterfly brain off to something else that caught my eye after that :nod:) and it used loads of the decopatch paper; the plain tissue would cut down on this I would think.

LoobyLou
17-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks JR. I was wondering about the paint first because a) it's such a dark colour, and b) veneer has a kind of finish to it and I didn't know if the Slap It On stuff would stick properly. I don't have one to play with, just the one I want to alter so I didn't want to go wrong from the get go and spoil it

LynneH
18-12-2012, 06:56 AM
Decopatch do a white primer, I use this on MDF and anything that isn't white. It makes the colours of the paper brighter and more true when you apply them. My Mum doesn't have this so she uses a pale emulsion paint. If your box is really shiny you could try sanding it lightly first.

kinglake
18-12-2012, 10:07 AM
I have an old jewellery box thing that I want to tart up with the same techniques that the lovely Kay Halliwell recently showed on her IndigoBlu shows when she did the mannequin. My problem is I am not sure how to start. I get the stamping on tissue, which is the route I want to take, but I am not sure how to prepare the box. It's one of these sort of walnut veneer things, or at least that's what it looks like. So do I go over it with emulsion paint, or what before I start stamping and slapping on the tissue paper?

Any advice would be great thank you.

Hubby said the first thing he would do is.......Take it to an antique shop to see if it is worth anything then sell it and buy a cheap box to tart up.

wonky doodle
18-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Hubby said the first thing he would do is.......Take it to an antique shop to see if it is worth anything then sell it and buy a cheap box to tart up.
now this made me laugh,
on topic, I am overflowing with decoupatch, some I like, some I dont at the moment, dont know why I start these things sometimes, monkey see monkey wants to try

LoobyLou
18-12-2012, 02:27 PM

OMG he would!!!!

Oh lord, I'm actually crying here. Tell him not to fret it's not valuable, but maybe after I have finished with it, it will be?!?