PDA

View Full Version : White thread problems!

Pam
22-02-2009, 09:51 PM
I was wondering if anybody else has problems with white thread for cross stitch. At the moment I'm doing a DMC cross stitch kit and the white thread is awful, I've noticed this before on other kits (not sure if they've all been DMC) but there is quite a lot of white stitching on this one and I just can't get it to look 'nice'.:confused::rolleyes:

Anne
23-02-2009, 02:46 PM
I was wondering if anybody else has problems with white thread for cross stitch. At the moment I'm doing a DMC cross stitch kit and the white thread is awful, I've noticed this before on other kits (not sure if they've all been DMC) but there is quite a lot of white stitching on this one and I just can't get it to look 'nice'.:confused::rolleyes:

Can't help I'm afraid, Pam, as I'm not a cross-stitcher, but hopefully someone else will be along soon who can help. In the meantime my reply will have the effect of giving the thread a little bump. :)

Pam
23-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks Anne,lol I know there aren't many too cross stitchers on here. Just wondered it was only me who had the problem - probably is!

sbroadhurst2003
23-02-2009, 02:59 PM
hi - have you tried to use a thread conditioner like thread heaven, it coats the thread and makes it easier to handle adn sit flat. it could just be that if you are stitching on white fabric it stands out more - when you have other colours round it, it may look less outstanding

Pam
23-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Hi sbroadhurst, I haven't tried a thread conditioner, to be honest I didn't know there was such a thing. I'll have to look out for it. Thank you for info.

gill71
23-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi Pam

I haven't noticed any problems with white threads - are they a bit grubby or just poor quality?
I know sometimes when you get a kit that isn't Anchor/DMC the threads seem to be of inferior quality.

gill
x

LoobyLou
24-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Pam, I have consulted the oracle on Cross Stitch, my friend, also called Pam.

She tells me that although it is difficult to do because the aida is white, she ALWAYS stitches the white first. She reckons that otherwise it picks up the colours around it and ends up looky dingy/dirty.

Obviously keeping your hands clean is also a must and she says she often washes mid stitching if her hands have been sweating.

She said to avoid the 'experts' advice of stitching dark to light and definitely do it the other way around, light to dark.

HTH

Looby

Pam
24-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi Looby thanks for the reply. The white thread doesn't seem to be dirty it just seems fluffier somehow and doesn't lie flat. It's really weird. lol

When I do cross stitch I don't do one colour at a time (all the counting would be too complicated for me). I start from the middle and do each colour as it comes, most of mine are fairly big so I'd be going cross-eyed with all that counting. lol

Wellington
24-02-2009, 09:32 PM
When I do cross stitch I don't do one colour at a time (all the counting would be too complicated for me). I start from the middle and do each colour as it comes, most of mine are fairly big so I'd be going cross-eyed with all that counting. lol

So as a novice cross stitcher (still plugging away at the one for my mum), does that mean you have a needle for each colour or do you constantly change threads? I've found I tend to do as much as poss in the same colour in a particular area.

Pam
24-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi Welly

I only use one needle and use the full length of the thread (or more)before I start on another colour. If one lot of the colour is too far away (before I've used the length of thread) I finish off and start a new colour. The threads aren't too long as they wear a bit going through the cloth so many times.

Just read your post again, I do the same as you. lol

I think if you use too many colours together they would get in a muddle or in the way.

ERICS MUM
25-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Hi Pam,

I have the same problem. White thread seems thinner than other colours and I tend to stitch with 3 strands instead of 2 so that I get decent overage.

I got 2 good tips from this thread (excuse the pun!). I'm going to try some thread conditioner, and also stitch the white areas first rather than last in future. Fingers crossed for both

Linda:)

sbroadhurst2003
25-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Hi sbroadhurst, I haven't tried a thread conditioner, to be honest I didn't know there was such a thing. I'll have to look out for it. Thank you for info.

hope this is ok to post a link - here is the thread heaven i was talking about:
http://www.sewandso.co.uk/ran1439-0.html

i forgot to mention the stitching white first hint - this is often recommended too.