PDA

View Full Version : Which embossing method would you recommend?

Topcat71
23-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Hi All

I'm new on here and to crafting too, and would like to ask a question of all you experts.

When embossing, would you use a clear ink pad and coloured embossing powder or a coloured ink pad and clear embossing powder? and does each method give a different effect?

Many thanks
:hi:

Millburn
24-03-2013, 09:38 AM
:wave:

Sorry I'm not really a stamper so I can't help you; but HELLO :wave: :D

budgie
24-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Hi Topcat, welcome to the forum.

You can do either, but if you are just starting, you might find it easier and cheaper, to have a go with clear embossing powder on coloured ink. That way you wouldn't have a big initial outlay on embossing powders. It is best to use a pigment ink which stays wet longer than dye inks. A versamark or perfect medium pad is also a good investment. They can be used with clear powder, or you can add to your collection of embossing powders in other colours. It is really personal choice, so just experiment and have fun.

purdycraft
24-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Hi All

I'm new on here and to crafting too, and would like to ask a question of all you experts.

When embossing, would you use a clear ink pad and coloured embossing powder or a coloured ink pad and clear embossing powder? and does each method give a different effect?

Many thanks
:hi:

Which ever method you use, I would recommend using an anti-static bag first. The easiest way is to use clear powder on coloured ink. However there are some embossing powders that will give you different effects which you won't get by using clear on coloured ink. I would avoid black embossing powder though, it seems to get everywhere!

budgie
24-03-2013, 09:57 AM
good point purdycat. I had loads of disasters before I got an anti-static bag. If you haven't got one, you can improvise with either cornflour or talcum powder. After you finish embossing, give it a wipe to get rid of the powder.

jenty
24-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Funnily enough, I've just been doing some heat embossing. Actually I have been using sparkling snow on clear versamark but don't recommend it for someone just starting as you can't see where you stamp (well, not on the centura pearl snow white I was using!). However, clear on black card can look amazing. I agree with the comments above, use an anti-static bag, use a fine, clear embossing powder on coloured ink and have fun producing some amazing effects.
Forgot to say, welcome to the forum!

englishminx
24-03-2013, 09:58 AM
I do emboss quite a bit, and I have experimented with lots of methods, I do find some pigment inks, don't give as crisp an image, and also the same with embossing powders. I tend to always use detail embossing powder (it is actually called detail), which a few brands that do it, are stampendous, and cosmic shimmer. I find wow embossing powders good, the stampendous or cosmis detail clear is very good. I tend to use dye based inks like a versafine, rather than pigment, but you have to be very very quick with the powder. If you already have inks and powders, just experiment.

Dips
24-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Couple of tips from me, a small brush is great for removing stray flecks before using your heat gun. Also, if you want to use a particular ink pad but it's a fast drying pad, first very lightly ink your stamp with versamark then go over with your coloured ink pad, then give the ink pad a quick wipe with a kitchen towel to remove any versamark transfer. Your stamped image will then have the sticky quality of versamark and the colour of your choice, cover with clear embossing powder and heat!

jr77
24-03-2013, 02:55 PM
I would also suggest when you've played around with clear on coloured ink that a good first 'colour' powder to invest in would be gold.

Mistyblue
24-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Can't add anything to all the expert advice that's been given but wanted to say Hi and welcome topcat!

suban
25-03-2013, 05:52 AM
hi there! my first embossing pad was a tinted one - only good for coloured embossing powder!!!! But at least I could see where I'd stamped!

Little Jan
25-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Welcome to the forum, I am not a stamper, but about 20 odd years ago I came across embossing powder and went for gold and silver and clear and a small set of coloured inks, boy have they improved since then
I agree that a fine brush and a antistatic pad is a good idea, but beware using some talc's as they have oil in that can stain the card.