PDA

View Full Version : Charity Help Our Troops

agelesscraft
25-03-2013, 01:56 PM
I do not know much about this charity but they are asking for cards have posted the link if anybody who likes to make cards for charity.
http://www.helpingourtroops.co.uk/#/hot-appeals/4551412614

mini_haha
25-03-2013, 06:43 PM
I send some of mine to a local co ordinator kinda like the shoebox appeal ... just a quick reminder for people not to use any glitter on cards , great cause though thanks for the link i'm sure i'll have a few i can send

craftycat
28-03-2013, 05:19 PM
I do not know much about this charity but they are asking for cards have posted the link if anybody who likes to make cards for charity.
http://www.helpingourtroops.co.uk/#/hot-appeals/4551412614

As the site is not up to date, I've emailed the people concerned - twice. No reply though so won't be risking sending any cards to them. Shame as I would love to find some more outlets for charity cards

craftycat
29-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Had a lovely email this morning. Joy, one of the co-ordinators has been minus a computer for a couple of weeks. She is going to reply to me again with details of where to send cards. So, looks good

craftycat
01-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Me again, yes the address in the link is correct. So get making folks!! And thanks for the link in the first place ageless.

craftycat
01-04-2013, 11:37 AM
And another update from me, Joy has just emailed with this:
"I just wanted to let you know that we do update the site when we have news to put on and in fact about 3 weeks ago we updated the card quantity and the stamp sales. We have really struggled to get people to join the site and when its renewal comes up later this year we will be changing to a new site. This s not the best one by far and we are very limited as to what we can do on it.

Would you please pop a message on it for me to let the ladies know we do update the site when we have news and also I will be more than happy to hear from anyone and advise them as to what we need.
I might join the site so I can keep in touch personally but I dont have a lot of free time as you will appreciate and that's why I normally only get time to check my emails every other day."

Hi Joy if you are lurking!!

agelesscraft
01-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks craftycat for checking this out and I will be making some cards to send.x

craftycat
01-04-2013, 02:35 PM
I've got some ready to send once the world stops having a long holiday weekend. It is lovely to have somewhere else to send cards to and I am especially glad to be able to support our armed forces again.

Hotcrafter
08-04-2013, 08:29 PM
:mysmilie_504:I just want to say hello and yes I have joined the forum so that I can thank people personally when they send cards to us for the troops. I will in the next few days be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about what can and cannot be sent regarding the cards or any other questions you may have about what we do. But to start with I would just like to say thank you so much to both Judith and Freda for their parcels. You have both sent a good selection of lovely cards, the Fathers Days cards will be going out early net month and all the others will be going out within the next 6 weeks or so. I have today received another package of cards but with no note in, so I have no idea who they have come from, it may be that they have come from someone who already sends but I do not really recognise the designs. I am having a stab in the dark here just in case they were sent by one of the ladies from here. If that is the case, thank you and please let me know. So once again thank you so much and I will try to pop on every day or every other day.

craftycat
10-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Hi there Hotcrafter, glad you joined us. Only one minor comment on your post. I am known as Craftycat around here, there is a forum member called Judith - not me.You were not to know that though. No big deal really!

Hotcrafter
10-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Hi Craftycat, ooops sorry, problem was I had started the post before checking your forum name. I will soon get them memorised and thanks for the welcome.

kaz
10-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Hi Hotcrafter and welcome to the forum :-)

I will check out the link as I make far more cards than I need lol so it will be good to have somewhere to send them.

Kaz

suban
10-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Hi Hotcrafter - and welcome!!!!! Just tell us what you need, and we'll see what we can do!

Truly
10-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Hi Hotcrafter - pleased to meet you xx

Hotcrafter
10-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Thank you for the welcome and nice to meet you all. Regarding the cards we send them out all year round but at certain times we concentrate on specific occasions such as Christmas, Mothers and Fathers Day etc. We always launch a Christmas Appeal in September as you may appreciate I have to have all the cards in before the 2nd weeks in November to give them time to get out there, be circulated and then back home to their families. Some things to be aware of given that these are going to an operational environment, freepost and within the MOD limitations are, Little or NO glitter on the cards as this gets on their kit and can light them as perfect targets, if using decoupage please limit it to no more than 3 layers, please keep to standard sizes as these have to go out in shoe boxes and again the freepost rules apply when they are sending them home. Try to keep the verses brief as obviously we do not know the people who will be sending or receiving the cards. At the moment Fathers Day cards are our priority but since we need them in before then end of this month it may be a little for that but the main cards we are always short of are childrens birthday cards, cards for males such as birthdays and get well cards for male or female. We accept all cards and always acknowledge receipt of them and every few weeks we update our website with the on going total so people know how generous crafters are. I hope that is all you need to know but please ask if you are unsure and thank you again.

eyeful
11-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Hi Hotcrafter and welcome xxx

Hotcrafter
18-04-2013, 04:17 PM
I received a package of cards today with some stamps enclosed too so I would like to thank ageless for sending them. The cards are lovely and exactly what we need and I the stamps too, really good to see a decent amount of foreign ones in with them as we get so few and they raise much more for us. Thanks again for your kind support.

Hotcrafter
25-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Hello I have again received a lovely package of 50 cards and they are perfect for our cause. We are really grateful for the response from you all and it is boosting our ability to send a good selection and quantity of cards over to the sandpit. Would you please bear with me as I have not yet got used to the names that go with your forum names so I will have to say thank you to Freda for your lovely cards, they will go out late May after the Fathers Days cards. I sent 4 boxes full of cards out on Tuesday, so just over 120 and next week 3 boxes of Fathers Day cards going from me and 2 from my co founder so that should amount to around 150 -160 so a great result.:mysmilie_508:

Jacksmissis
25-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Hello Hotcrafter, and welcome!! I think you're all doing a wonderful job, thank you

Hotcrafter
02-05-2013, 02:01 PM
I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction to add some information concerning an appeal we have running for HOT. It is an on going appeal as are the cards but it for stamps, I thought it might be worth a try to ask on here too but not sure where to put it. Any advice would be really appreciated, Thanks.

Hotcrafter
04-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Yet another package of cards arrived today and this time they were from mini haha, Yes the Fathers Days ones are just in time as they are going out on Tuesday so good timing. Thank you for the comments on your note and thank you so much for the cards they are perfect. Thanks again x

Hotcrafter
07-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Hello again, do I take it that nobody can assist me with my question re the stamps. I have waited a few days for people to see it but no replies so not sure whether I should go into more detail on here or maybe start a new thread????:thinking::mysmilie_504:

Hotcrafter
13-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Hello all, I received a lovely pack of cards on Friday and not sure if they were sent by a member from here. So If there is a Mrs Lynne Fulton who has sent the cards then I thank you very much, they are lovely and perfect for sending over to the sandpit. Thank You.:mysmilie_508:

Jacksmissis
13-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Hello again, do I take it that nobody can assist me with my question re the stamps. I have waited a few days for people to see it but no replies so not sure whether I should go into more detail on here or maybe start a new thread????:thinking::mysmilie_504:

Think the prob may be that not many of us get letters now with stamps on - they tend to put them through franking machines for bills and circulars, and many people keep in touch by email or text's. I will save you mine Hotcrafter but it will be a while before they mount up. I only have one from Thailand, one from Greece and a couple of british second class so far!

Comfrey
13-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Sorry slightly off topic but do the Xmas card need to be with you at the beginning of November or earlier because if the rush.
Ive decided I'll probably do this instead of all the other cards I normally do this year

Hotcrafter
13-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Hi Comfrey, Thank you so much for your enquiry about Christmas Cards , and although it seems very early to be talking Christmas you are right about being early. We actually start our preparation for Christmas in July as there is so much to do. All Christmas cards need to be with me before 1st November, this then gives us time to get them boxed and out there before the 3rd week in November. The are then sent out to where they needed, written, collected back up and sent back to their families by the end of the 1st week in December. So I want to say a huge thank you in advance if you are going to be making a start on them and it will be lovely to se them when they arrive.:up:

Hotcrafter
13-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the reply Jacksmissis and I totally understand what you are saying about franking. It does not matter how long it takes, if it is 6 months before you get a couple of dozen together then that's fine. Can you leave at least half an inch round the stamps so they do not get damaged and when you have an envelope full then let me know and I will let you have my details for sending them. Thanks again.:mysmilie_504:

Hotcrafter
15-05-2013, 06:02 PM
First of all I want to say again thank you for all the cards that have been sent so far and the promise of more to come, we really do appreciate your support for what is a very worthwhile cause. Now I would like to mention our Stamp Appeal in case any of you would like to help with that. It is simply really all we ask is you save all your used stamps and then when you have a small bundle of them send them to me for checking and trimming. This can bring us in much needed funds of around £500 - £600 a year. All you need to do is remove the stamp from the letter or parcel by cutting it off and leaving around 1/2" all the way round the stamp so as not to damage it. The large Gold printed stamps that the PO use are no good so please do not bother collecting them and we are always desperate for foreign stamps. So if you think you can in the stamp appeal we would be so grateful. Hope you don't think I am being cheeky. :cheeky:

Jacksmissis
16-05-2013, 10:57 AM
No I don't think your cheeky hotcrafter, it will just take time for me personally!! Think you mean we only save the traditional lick and stick type (or the peel and stick ones) ?.

Hotcrafter
16-05-2013, 09:46 PM
It does not matter whether they are stick on or lick and stick, they can be as old as they go back or as new as they come the only thing is they need to be totally in tact. By the big gold ones, I mean those that are over 2" square that the post office print and stick on for such as parcels. If in doubt save it and I will check it when they arrive. Thanks.

Hotcrafter
20-05-2013, 08:02 PM
I had the pleasure of another parcel of cards arriving today so I want say yet again another thank you, this one goes to Shoequeen for the lovely cards you have sent. You have all been lovely with the cards you are sending so once again Thanks to you all.

Hotcrafter
23-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Just wanted to say what a deeply sad day yesterday was as we saw the horror opening before our eyes of what happened to another one of Britain's Best. You cannot imagine that something like that would take place on the streets in our country, what a sick world we live in. My thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends and comrades of a soldier executed in a terrorist attack just yards from his camp. RIP but never forgotten. xx

Deefersmum
23-05-2013, 09:00 AM
I share your sentiments Hotcrafter - from the time the news broke yesterday, through into today, I feel very empty and sad. How anyone could do what they did to another human being is beyond belief and to know that the poor young man's family probably saw the breaking news on TV not realising it was their relative must make it even more horrendous for them. I wonder if anyone will start a memorial fund for him - I for one would be more than willing to donate. If we all stand together and assure his death could be turned into something positive i.e. a scholarship or whatever, then it is one in the eye for the thugs who think they can run our country. RIP unnamed soldier and may your family find peace.

Jacksmissis
23-05-2013, 11:16 AM
With you there hotcrafter, absolutely appalling, I too would be happy to donate to a fund, my nieces husband is in the services and none of us can imagine how that poor lads family must be coping. Very, very sad day.

I personally don't think it was terrosism, just two incredibly sick minded individuals, two men who were once babies and being cuddled and cooed over - whoever would think they would turn out to be evil bar-stewards

LoobyLou
23-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Before you all go off donating, it's possible the whole thing was a very sick hoax. Lots of stuff floating about in www land, indicating that this was a set up. I have watched a few and it's compelling the evidence, lack of blood etc. etc.

IF it's genuine, I think it's absolutely disgraceful, and especially so that any decent news channel would have published a video from the murderer his hands and machete still covered in the victim's blood with no thought for his family at all.

I am confused as to what to think now. But if it's genuine my heart goes out to his family, friends and colleagues.

Mitzi
23-05-2013, 01:24 PM
How can it not be genuine? There were so many eye witnesses.

A lot of rubbish is spouted on social media (twitter etc) and it's best all ignored in circumstances like this.

Hotcrafter
23-05-2013, 01:28 PM
I cannot see how anyone thinks this is a set up, there was large pools of blood running from near the car, there was blood in several places which could be seen easily. I am not sure what these people are saying about it being a set up when it has been confirmed he was a Soldier from the barracks where the incident took place, he has ben identified and his parents have asked for his id to be with held for the time being. Although I do agree that perhaps setting up a fund etc is not possibly the right thing to do. Sadly this brave soldier was killed it appears by 2 Muslims converts and as horrendous as his death was and the fact it happened on our streets we have had so many of our servicemen killed over the last few years for doing there jobs. Would it be right to highlight this brave soldier, I cannot answer that but I can say is that more than ever it makes me determined to keep doing what we do with HOT, support our Wonderful Armed Services.

Hotcrafter
23-05-2013, 01:34 PM
On a better note but obviously connected I many ways to the sickening images we have seen over the last 24 hours, I have another thank you for more lovely cards which arrived today. Thank you to Craftycat for your last batch of cards which again re perfect for our appeal. We appreciate your continued support.

suban
23-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Help for Heroes website crashed due to people wanting to support them - also Twitter is buzzing with celebrity support - can't believe it's a sick hoax!

Deefersmum
23-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Not genuine? What are these people on?

Deefersmum
23-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Forgot to add - if anyone does hear of any form of memorial whatever for this man, can they pm me please? Ta muchly.

Hotcrafter
23-05-2013, 07:08 PM
There will of course be a memorial service for him at some time but whether it will be down south or Halifax or Manchester I do not know at this stage. I am not surprised H4H system collapsed as that is who most people turn to because of the huge publicity they always get, so many people forget about the smaller charities like ourselves struggling to do our best for our armed forces. When this has all passed and hopefully the situation quietens down again I will tell you more about us and our long term plans then you will know we will be around for a long time with no plans of finishing when all our brave guys and girls come home. HOT is not just about those out in war zones.

Jacksmissis
23-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Dear lord, who starts these sick rumours? my daughter rang me this morning from Australia to see what it was all about. I realise what you are saying Hotcrafter about a fund - hadn't thought of it in that way. You know, although these lads know of all the dangers they're going to be facing when they decide on this career as a way of life, the sad thing (to me personally) is that when its not in a conflict situation, but by 'one of our own' it makes it so much more tragic, whatever is this world coming to? I am reminded of an old Jewish proverb....... A man was being stoned in a market square for an offence he had allegedly committed. People threw stones of varying sizes and the man didn't flinch. Then one very small pebble hit him and the tears rolled down his face. A member of the crowd asked why he was hurting when all the other stones hadn't made him wince. His reply was " because the man who threw the pebble was my friend".........................

Hotcrafter
23-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Yes how true and so very very sad to see it on our soil.

Hotcrafter
29-05-2013, 01:19 PM
I am back again to say another thank you for yet more cards that arrived today. I am really overwhelmed at the wonderful response by the members that have been sending the cards. All the cards have ben so well made, we have had a lovely selection covering all possible events and we are truly delighted. Thank you goes again to Freda (apologies for not remembering which names goes with each avatar yet) your second batch of cards are perfect again.:mysmilie_508:

Hotcrafter
12-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Another thank you to add to the previous ones and this one goes to Shoequeen for the parcel full of lovely cards which arrived today. But this parcel also contained a bag full of stamps so that was an unexpected addition. Thank you so much for your continued support, we really do appreciate it. :clapping:

Hotcrafter
17-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Calling who ever it was that sent me a batch of cards which arrived today, sadly there is no note or details of who sent them. There is not even a clear post mark to guess at the area of the country. Who ever sent them then Thank You so much they are lovely as have been all the ones we have received from here. xx

Hotcrafter
22-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Another package of cards arrived this morning and again there was no note so I have no idea who I nee to thank. All I can do is repeat my message of thanks to who ever is sending in the various packages, it would be nice to be able to say thank you to the actual people but I cannot. Having sad that you have responded well to this appeal and I look forward to your support continuing so to all of you who sent cards we really do appreciate it.

Hotcrafter
20-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Thank you to ageless for the lovely cards you have sent and yes the Christmas ones are also very much in need. We start our Christmas appeal at the end of August as we always need so many of them but it is nice to get some in early. Thank you for also collecting the stamps and just send them when you have to send. Thank You.:mysmilie_504:

Hotcrafter
07-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Thank you again for the lovely package of cards which arrived today. It was a lovely parcel full of Christmas cards which will be so appreciated when they go out at the end of October. Because of what we do and the preparation needed our Christmas plans and ordering of stuff starts next week so as you can imagine it is a long build up to Christmas. It is a good job I like Christmas otherwise I think I would be going mad by the time the end of the first week of December arrives, that is the time everything that's going over to the sandpit has gone otherwise it is too late. Thank you to all of you who are continuing to supporting us.

Hotcrafter
14-08-2013, 04:45 AM
Freda thank you so much for the lovely pack of cards you sent again, they are just what we need and I look forward to the Christmas cards coming. Thank you for your continued support.

Hotcrafter
14-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Another thank you for the package of lovely Christmas cards which arrived this morning and this time I would like to thank Craftycat for your cards. They are ideal and will be very much appreciated when they arrive in the sandpit. If this year is like previous years I will no doubt hear from one or two of the service personnel out there with a thank you for the excellent choice of Christmas cards and when that happens I will post excerpts from their letters so all of you who contributed will perhaps appreciate how much it means to them. Once again thank you very much.

Hotcrafter
16-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Another batch of cards arrived today but with no details of who had sent them but I believe they may be from someone here as they are similar to some others I have received so to who ever has sent them thank you so much, very much appreciated as always.

Hotcrafter
20-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Yet another batch of lovely Christmas cards arrived today from Freda so once again a huge thank you for your continued support. Your support is really appreciated by both of us.

Hotcrafter
24-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Well I cannot believe the rate that some of the cards are coming in and so we thank those of you who are supporting us. It is good that some Christmas cards are coming in now and 2 boxes of cards arrived today so you who ever sent them then thank you so much, there are some really stunning cards in them.:mysmilie_508:

Hotcrafter
25-09-2013, 08:32 PM
I just wanted to say thank you to the 2 or 3 people who still send cards for our appeal and thank them for their support since my last post another 3 deliveries have been received.

Hotcrafter
23-10-2013, 01:00 PM
A Thank You message for DIPS, your lovely cards arrived today and we are so grateful for your contribution. The Christmas cards arrived just in time as the cut off point is next week and the others will be going out in the New Year so thank you gain.:mysmilie_504:

Hotcrafter
14-11-2013, 01:12 PM
I have today received to packages of cards but with little information with them so maybe someone here has sent them so I thought it best to pop the details on.
One pack also contained some well trimmed stamps and cam from Katrina and Lynne Taylor, the other came from MW and that's all I know.
If you are one of the senders then please let me know who you are, we really want to thank people for their support.
All I can ay is thank you to who ever has sent them and as always we truly appreciate the support shown.
xx