PDA

View Full Version : Which is your thread of choice

morgana123
09-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Having just spent a couple of hours sorting my threads into order and marking the ones I actually have on a chart so I dont keep buying the same ones I thought I would ask what threads my fellow stitchers prefer.

I am a dmc girl myself - do love madeira threads but as its easy to convert from other brands to dmc and as they can still be bought at very good prices on the internet I am sticking with them. My only local shop who sell threads only stock Anchor and personally I have never found them to be as smooth for stitching as dmc but that is just me.

So apologies if this has been asked before but what is your preference?

Waterlily
09-04-2013, 07:58 PM
I like DMC too but love the sparkly Madeira threads. I use the Madeira threads a lot on my stitched cards.

RozMinis
09-04-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm a DMC gal too. Love the DMC Jewel Effects threads, use them on my prick and stitch cards. Slightly thicker than the Kreinik and Madeira threads I have used in the past, though Kreinik do have several different thicknesses. Paper n Card only sell DMC, the shop in the market sells Anchor. I can't remember what the wool shop sells, though I'm pretty sure they sold both at one time. Nobody sells Madeira, which are better value for money, though I personally don't like them, a bit too fluffy for my liking.

I use mostly Anchor Cotton Pearl for my Hardanger, mainly because there appears to be more shades available, at least there are from the online shops I buy from. My present project uses Caron Watercolours and Wildflowers. The Watercolours is used for the satin stitch, the Wildflowers for the pulled thread work.

I prefer Madeira sewing cotton (30's weight) and the wool mix (Burmilana) for mini crochet, either those or any of the Venne threads. The latter are especially good for mini knitting. I've tried the DMC tatting cotton, but I find it is too stiff, as is their 30's lace weight cotton. Not that they manufacturer the latter in any of the colours, Madeira have also stopped manufacturing one of their cottons. :(

Roz

LorraineJ
09-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Interesting I was brought up on Anchor sewing silks. I have tried DMC but found they broke or knotted far too easily.

agelesscraft
09-04-2013, 10:46 PM
I use Anchor always have I think more shops stocked it in the North East as it was made around here. Now both are available but I always go with Anchor.

suban
10-04-2013, 06:49 AM
I'm DMC as well - I read in one of the magazines - darned if I can remember which one - that Anchor threads are a shade brighter than DMC, which is why you shouldn't mix! But for using oddments I don't really care - like cards etc. Plus the leftovers from some kits don't list which brand they were in the first place.

Waterlily
10-04-2013, 03:42 PM
I have both of the shade cards (both have actual threads) and I think the Anchor are shinier so appear different. I have used both depending on which cross stitch kit I'm using but prefer DMC if I just have the chart.

Waterlily
10-04-2013, 04:54 PM
I've had a look through my sparkly thread stash and found a couple of other makes. Gutermann, Kreinik and Impex. There are also a couple of Coats ones that don't come under Anchor - Cristallina and Reflecta. There are also some with no makers name on them but they are still nice lol.

suban
10-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Love Kreinek!!!!! Great for glitter and shimmer effects!

RozMinis
11-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Love Kreinek!!!!! Great for glitter and shimmer effects!

I love 'em and loath 'em in equal parts. No honest, a bit like a computer, can't live with 'em, and can't live without 'em. I used to use them a lot in the days when I sold my cross stitched cards, especially good on wedding and Christmas cards. I now have the same love/hate relationship with the DMC jewels. I've tried using normal threads, but they just don't look right. Anyway, I've paid for the blessed things, so I will darn well use them - so there. They can put that in their pipe and stuff! :)

Ooooo I've now set me off wanting to do some more prick and stitch cards. Should have kept me big gob shut on this thread. ;)

Roz