PDA

View Full Version : I finally conquered my fear! I think!!!!!

suban
06-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Well I've finally bit the bullet!

After 40 years I've finally got round to using a sewing machine!!!!! After using ones at school I hated using a machine. I couldn't control the speed! It shot away from me. Same using Mam's old Singer machine. Well 12 years ago she traded that in for a Janome XC33 and she only used it twice cos she hated it!!! Well sorry Mam, today I got it out - minus the distructions - and eventually got it working! It has 30 different stitches including the lock off stitch and some different feet including a button hole one. Also a MEM - whatever that is!!!!! It's cute, dinky, and is now sitting proudly on its own little table in the bedroom. So I can sit on the side of the bed and use it with wonderful natural light.

So this morning I did a cushion cover, and am now doing a pair of curtains - I know they're not perfect, but as they won't really be on public display I don't care. I made them and I love them. So now I've just got 2 huge RUBs of fabrics to work through. Also it's not putting a strain on my wrist, so I can craft, watch TV and enjoy myself. WOOHOO!!!!! :clapping:

Truly
06-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Well done Suban!!! I hope you have loads of fun using the machine - and I'm sure that your curtains and covers are beautiful hun xxxx

suban
06-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Thanks Truly but got the awful feeling the side seams look like a dog's hind leg -as a certain mother would have "kindly" put it! :)

kaz
06-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Ah well done Suban. Hope you have many hours of fun with the machine.

JanTheNan
06-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Perhaps MEM is Memory Susan?

Kate's Cards
06-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Don't sew Timmy's tail now will you!!! Bet the curtains and cushion are much nicer than the dogs dinner I'd have made! xx

Waterlily
06-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Well done suban, enjoy.

Jacksmissis
06-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Lovely Suban, Mum would be so chuffed you're having a go!

Deefersmum
06-05-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm sure you are doing better than you think - it's all a matter of practising (as with most things - if you know what I mean!).

Granny Penny
06-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Getting started is often the most difficult thing. I love sewing but still look at it for a while before I can get going and I would definitely find curtains challenging. Dog's hind leg - you can still love the dog and I bet you are doing better then you think you are.

The more who get into sewing the better!

budgie
06-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Well done Suban!

elcee
06-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Wow, good for you! A bit of practise and there will be no stopping you.

LoobyLou
06-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Well done Su. You have increased your job chances now to include seamstress!

suban
06-05-2013, 06:51 PM
I was thinking that Looby! Maybe get a job at Barbours eventually????

JAMMY
06-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Well done Suban. So, what's next?

kaz
06-05-2013, 07:34 PM
I was thinking that Looby! Maybe get a job at Barbours eventually????

My (now ex) SIL used to work there years ago and made my son the cutest little suit ever. He's in his 30's now and probably doesn't want to be reminded lol

jr77
06-05-2013, 10:16 PM
You should be proud of yourself Suban. I'm phobic about sewing machines too so I know it can't have been easy overcoming it.

suban
07-05-2013, 05:43 AM
The only machine I would have considered in the past was an old fashioned treadle! Now got to work out how to change the foot as I'd love to try and put a fancy boarder on one of the pairs of curtains I've cut out, and use blind hemming on another pair. I know a screw driver is involved!

RozMinis
07-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Well done Susan. I knew you could do it. ;)

I used to love my grandma's treadle, learned to sew on it as soon as I could reach the treadle with my feet, must have been about seven years old. I was most dischuffed when my mother used it as part exchange on an electric job. No idea what happened to that one, but a few years later she bought another. In the meantime my dad bought me a hand sewing machine that had a missing screw, a lot like its owner - me!

I've had several electric machines over the years, but I still have more than fond memories of the treadle and hand machines.

My mother tried frightening me to death by telling me I couldn't call myself a seamstress until I'd had the needle through my finger. I made clothes for all the family, including trousers and coats, never had it happen, but the older I got the more scared I became. It got to the stage where I was so terrified of the Brother machine I shoved it into the cupboard when I moved, and pretended it wasn't there. I gave it away in the end, then after my mother died last year I told myself not to be so bliddy stupid, so bought a Toyota. Haven't used it a great deal though as I don't have a large enough area to cut out patterns. I still struggle with scissors anyway, though I did wonder if battery ones might be a good idea.

Roz

Chalet School Fan
07-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Good for you Suban. The last time I used mine was to make Teenage Mutant Turtle outfits for my sons with quilted shells. The fluff from the quilting padding put lots of fluff into the machine and it hasn't worked as well since. But you have inspired me to get it out (after 21 years!), clean it up and give it another go!

suban
07-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Ah so that's what the little brush is for!!!!!

Got a pile of finishing off now lying beside the bed! Heck I'd forgotten over half of the fabric I'd bought!!!! Shows how long it is since I bought it all! Found some embroidered voile this afternoon and some sheeting - must have had the idea of doing lined curtains!!!! Still at least it's less hand sewing - having hand-sewn curtains in the past - but must find my crochet patterns as I've some plain voile which I want to put a crochet edging on.

LoobyLou
08-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Su, I reckon if you go to Youtube and put in the model, or at least the make, it will have a video or to on there of people using it. You might even find one on how to change the feet. Youtube is my goto place these days when I want to find a good demonstration of how to do something. Or even if you put the name in Google maybe the manufacturer will have a video on their own website.

suban
08-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Looby - you've had your crystal ball out again!!!! Was also going to see if they still had destructions for the model!

Jacksmissis
08-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Well if they have I cant find it Suban, 'cos I already had a look for you yesterday! I did the same for my daughter a few months ago as someone had given her a machine from the seventies (never been used !) but the destructions were missing - I was successful tho and printed the whole thing off. Sometimes, you can pick em up on fleabay, but I reckon Looby's right with the YouTube, that's a really good source of information. If you cant find anything it may be worth contacting Janome, I think they're in Manchester, I'm sure they would help.

Little Jan
08-05-2013, 07:04 PM
My Oh My you have been buzy with your machine,looks like you might be up to wedding dresses soon, can I put my order in now lol

suban
09-05-2013, 05:33 AM
Jan - unless you want it to look like Alice's dress on the Vicar of Dibley, I would steer well clear of me making a wedding dress!!!! :)

notmorecraft
09-05-2013, 08:31 AM
I sewed before I did any other craft, and I steeled myself to use my precious machine to sew paper for the C.R.A.F.T. trimmies challenge last week. Love it, will be doing more using my machine for cards and it didn't hurt my machine at all :whew:

notmorecraft
09-05-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm sure you sewing is great your curtains will look so much better than shop bought, I sewed before I did any other craft, and I steeled myself to use my precious machine to sew paper for the C.R.A.F.T. trimmies challenge last week. Love it, will be doing more using my machine for cards and it didn't hurt my machine at all :whew:

Deefersmum
09-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Ah so that's what the little brush is for!!!!!

Got a pile of finishing off now lying beside the bed! Heck I'd forgotten over half of the fabric I'd bought!!!! Shows how long it is since I bought it all! Found some embroidered voile this afternoon and some sheeting - must have had the idea of doing lined curtains!!!! Still at least it's less hand sewing - having hand-sewn curtains in the past - but must find my crochet patterns as I've some plain voile which I want to put a crochet edging on. You must be doing well if you are progressing to curtains - I can sew, have done for years, but I hate doing curtains - trying to hang on to the slithering material and keep sewing drives me nuts. Needless to say, I buy my curtains :nod:

Dips
09-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Susan, you've given me the courage to have another go on my sewing machine, which I used once without success. I only want to be able to do stitch effects on my card and scrapbooking projects, but as I've never used a machine, it's been a bit hard. So, yesterday, I got the machine back out, rethreaded everything (which took a while as I hadn't a clue) and I now can sew a not-too-wonky detail on a piece of card. So, thank you for your inspiration!

suban
09-05-2013, 01:01 PM
So pleased you're trying as well Dips! I have discovered one draw-back! I love stroking fabric - you know like some folks stroke paper!!! I love fabric - I could turn into a fabric-olic! I could end up haunting the fabric stall in the local market!!!! Timmy's decided that if he lies down for too long he'll end up wearing a coat and hat, or jimjams at night!!! So he keeps on the move round the bed!

Next thing on my try out list is needle-tatting!

Jacksmissis
09-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Jan - unless you want it to look like Alice's dress on the Vicar of Dibley, I would steer well clear of me making a wedding dress!!!! :)

Ha! Ha!, You make the dress and I'll do the tellytubbie outfits to go with it! (watched that episode SO many times and still fall over laughing!!)

Kate's Cards
09-05-2013, 04:11 PM
You've inspired me too Suban! I have just asked my Dad if he could give my machine a service as I haven't used it for about 18 years!

suban
09-05-2013, 06:19 PM
It's great to hear we're all digging out our machines! I'm enjoying getting all the old craft stuff out and sorting through it, and actually using it! Seems to be just the papercraft I'm having a block with!!! I've decorated another polyfoam ball with luceted cord. So that's 3 done. Going to lucet or crochet some tiebacks for the curtains. OMG Have I turned into AT?

RozMinis
09-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Hahaha, no lovey, you are sooo much nicer than AT. ;)

Well flower, you have given me a kick in the seat of my pants too. Not having done any dressmaking since, um, well it must have been the 1980's, I don't have any patterns. I remember binning them, but I dare say they would have probably been confetti by now anyway. Sooo I have just spent a happy hour on the Sew Direct website investing in some patterns. The Butterick ones are on half price offer tonight, so it would appear I have timed it right. We have a decent shop in town that sells material, plus another one in the indoor market, assuming I can find that one again, so at least I won't have to hunt for the stuff.

I always enjoyed making my own clothes, including coats, as I could never find just what I was looking for in the shops. Of course in those days it was cheaper to make them, unlike now where it is probably cheaper to buy, but what the heck, do my own thing. The only slight techy hitch I have, well two of 'em actually, is finding somewhere to cut the pattern out. I've been trying to find a board that I could use on the bed, but can't find one that would be strong enough, yet would fold away, space being a premium in a small bungalow. I can see me having to clear everything from the table in my office, but then I will have to make space for my sewing machine anyway.

The other hitch is the scissors. I really struggle with normal scissors, and had hoped to find some battery driven ones like my mother once said she had. Actually they were cordless electric ones, I have found some on eBay, but they don't look like hers. I think I might have to settle for the spring type that I use for paper cutting, except they would be the larger version. No matter difficulties are there to be overcome, so no point blubbing over 'em. :)

Roz

RozMinis
09-05-2013, 09:30 PM
I'm rubbish with that lucetting stuff, and I did have a freebie lesson from Ziggy last year at the craft fair in Leeds. I realised what I was doing wrong, but that still didn't help, I just can't seem to get my tension right.

Needle tatting is easy peasy, much easier than shuttle tatting, which I can't do at all now. Bliddy nuisance that as I had finally got the hang of the 'snap', after years of trying, but aas I can't hold the shuttle and manipulate the thing, it ain't happening. No matter, between needle tatting, cross stitch, Hardanger, knitting, crochet, and now getting the sewing machine going, I doubt I'm that fussed anyway. ;)

Roz

Waterlily
09-05-2013, 10:31 PM
lol suban. I'm another one who'll have to get my sewing machine out.

Well done with the curtains. I'm another one who's not keen on making curtains too

suban
10-05-2013, 01:20 AM
Wow, we're turning into a great bunch of crafty crafters. At least I can always alter my clothing stash now so I don't have embarrassing "accidents". Unfortunately the lace making pillow is still in its bag, as it arrived - maybe later in the year.

Jacksmissis
10-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Roz, have you thought about using a Rotary Cutter? You would need something hard under it tho - like a board - or you wouldn't be able to put the pressure on. I have some "electric" scissors somewhere too, had them before I left home - jeez that's nearly 39 years ago! they are like one of those personal fans but with cutters instead of the fans, if you know what I mean.

RozMinis
10-05-2013, 07:44 PM
I don't think I would be able to find a cutting mat large enough to accommodate using a rotary cutter with dressmaking patterns. The largest one I can find is 24" x 36". The board on the Amazon website is 36" x 60" (I think) so even that would be a struggle with wider widths of fabric, and it is only cardboard. :( The table in my office isn't quite so long, but it is a tad wider. I will give it a go anyway, if it doesn't work I will try out the board thingie from Amazon.

I ended up sending in a second order last night as I found some more patterns that were only £1.50 each. I have a feeling that after my hols, my sewing machine could be a very busy bunny! :)

I tried bobbin lace making years ago Susan. Managed to make a couple of bookmarks, but that was all. Main trouble was having to pay attention all the time, not easy with a houseful of fluffits. At least I can now hide away in my office, but where does one find the time! ;)

Roz

keiko1
10-05-2013, 07:47 PM
well having never used a sewing machine ever, I've just bought one from work, as well as some material (its only a small one with 8 stitches) and brother will be teaching me how to use it - he has a sewing machine, embroidery machine and an overlocker.

RozMinis
10-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Eight stitches is all you need love. I know when I had my had sewing machine it only did straight lines. I bought an attachment thingie so I could use it with stretchy material, which was all the rage at the time. It didn't move the foot, just the material, but it was a brilliant invention. Sadly it wasn't any use for over sewing the edges of material, so French seams were still the norm on anything that frayed.

I don't think my present Toyota has much more than eight stitches, perhaps ten or twelve, but it is still more than enough for what I want it to do. I will still stitch my buttonholes by hand, ditto the hems. I did use the buttonholer on the New Home, but I have never seen a buttonhole since that I would have used on any garment I would have made. In fact from what I have seen on C & C, I reckon they are getting worse rather than better.

Roz

suban
11-05-2013, 04:35 AM
Just found a bag of oddments - another thing I'd forgotten about, for making patchwork! And a load of sheeting! That was so I could make spare sheets for Mam's bed when she had all her problems. Well I guess I can always use it for its purpose or for lining some curtains. Think I've got enough machine sewing for the rest of the year! :blush:

What else can we get the forum crafting? Did want to try the willow weaving, but haven't seen those shows for ages!!!!!

RozMinis
11-05-2013, 07:52 PM
I've not tried willow weaving, but I did once have a bash at corn dolly making. Well we did live on a farm at the time. The trouble is that present day corn is cut much earlier than it used to be, so the stalks are not really long enough. I'm sure when I was a child harvesting was done in September, now it is flippin' July. Though going by how cold it has been this year, I reckon it could be November before they do it. Did I imagine it, or did we have some nice warm sunny weather last week? Monday and Tuesday I think it was.

Way back when 'Her Maj' had her silver jubilee do, way back in the 70's, we were trying to raise funds for a street party. Not that ours was in the street, Yorkshire Traction would not have been pleased, so it was held at the local pub and the rugby field. Anywho, I had a go at making things from wooden clothes pegs, the ones with the spring fitting. I loved making rocking chairs, also made a wishing well. great fun, and we made money too. :)

I don't think there is much I haven't had a go at, sometimes successfully, other times I have complete failures. I still draw the line at silversmithing and glass blowing. As for my woodworking skills - forget it. :(

Roz

suban
12-05-2013, 04:02 AM
I've done corn dolly making using art straws - by heck that brings back memories! Had a few House of Craft kits in the past. Glass painting, glass etching and seagrass stool were great, but the musical box was pretty poor. Still got the painted wine glasses and seagrass stool!

I know this is a bit off-topic but did anyone here ever have plasticraft and enamelcraft?

Chalet School Fan
12-05-2013, 02:59 PM
I made an owl towel hanger in macramé when that was fashionable in the 80s. And a sea grass stool to earn a badge when I was in the Girls Brigade. It was to sit on at my desk to do my homework, but it wasn't very comfortable so I ended up doing most of my homework sitting on the sofa!!
A school friend had the plasticraft set and I was very envious. She also had all the Lino cutting tools and a brayer for putting the ink on evenly. We used to make Christmas cards by doing Lino prints onto coloured tissue paper and then mounting them onto card, but hers always looked much better than mine.

RozMinis
12-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Oh golly gosh, I'd forgotten all about some of those crafts. I still have an electric etching tool lurking in one of those large plastic boxes in my office, probably the one at the bottom. I did etch some glasses, also some Christmas decorations. Gawd knows where they went to. I never tried macramé, though I have a few 1/12th scale designs, so maybe I ought to give it a go.

I'm still plucking up the courage to have a go with the needle felting. I really must try as I want to make a 1/12th scale cape. I have the felt ready to cut out, but thought I would use the felting tool to 'stitch' the pieces together, then decorate it with other bits of wool.

Roz

Julie
12-05-2013, 07:59 PM
I made one of those stools too when I was in primary school and it is still in use at my dads. Handy for changing lightbulbs.

suban
12-05-2013, 10:00 PM
The stool was definitely the best thing ever!!! I think the plasticraft came off the market slightly after the enamelcraft - considering it was sold in a toy store H&S must have had a pink fit. You had to bake it in an ordinary oven - needless to say Mam did not approve - way too dangerous for an 11 year old. Plus both were so expensive!!! Made cuff links for Dad using plasticraft - he tried them once - he said the weight of them made his wrists drop down to his knees! Then he nearly blew up my Gran's house with one plasticraft thing he tried!!!!! I don't think that the manufacturers realised how dangerous a product it was!

Has anyone got a chuzzlit kit - made by provocraft and sold on QVC!!!!

Chalet School Fan
12-05-2013, 10:04 PM
I didn't have plasticraft because of the cost. Ditto the brayer. I only got my beloved Spirograph set, cost 21/-, because we found an unopened one in the local junk shop for 5/-. I was over the moon!!!

suban
13-05-2013, 04:57 AM
I loved my spirograph! And etch-a sketch - till I broke it, never did really manage to draw diagonal lines with it though! Playdoh fun factory - love the smell of it! And the plaster casting of the Flintstones! So how long have I been "crafting" - all my life - since my first fuzzy felt kit!

Chalet School Fan
13-05-2013, 06:19 AM
I'd forgotten plastercafting. I had a set of Mickey Mouse characters and I liked making Pluto best because he was easy to paint. I also had the Spears Hand Loom. I wanted to make the scarves and other exciting things it showed on the box lid, but I never had the patience to make long enoug lengths of cloth and they looked rubbish anyway. But French knitting was a different matter - I made yards of that, but could never work out what to do with it!!

suban
13-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Ah yes, French knitting - I never knew what to do with it either - thing I made a mat once. Oh boy Spears knitting crafts - they were "luxury" items as well. Did a couple of blankets with a Chad Valley knitting machine! I reckon I would still have hours of fun with sticky shapes and black paper. Once managed to spill a load of sticky shapes and stars and Mam hoovered them up. The guy came shortly after to service it and he said it was the poshest dust he'd ever seen!!!!! Plasticraft was very expensive I think about £1.85 a tin for the liquid then the cost of the hardner as well and that was over 40 years ago!!!! Still got the cuff links!

Chalet School Fan
13-05-2013, 06:24 PM
I wonder if today's youngsters will have the same happy memories of making things as we have. I don't think my children spent time looking into shop windows hoping that some of those exciting boxes appeared under the tree at Christmas in the way I did because there wasn't the money for many treats except then or on my birthday. My Mum made nearly all my clothes, sewing or knitting, so it wasn't surprising I was given 'crafty' gifts, like a mini sewing machine, which sewed in chain stitch, or lengths of binca. I enjoyed sewing, but I didn't get into knitting until I went to university when big warm jumpers were in fashion.

RozMinis
13-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Sigh, I always wanted one of those children's sewing machines. My aunt had one, she being only five or six years older than me, but although she let me have a go with it once, my mother wouldn't part with her fag money to buy me one. Got my own back though when I was allowed to use that dear old treadle. :)

There is a thing out now called Solid Water that is similar to the Plasticraft stuff. Used for 1/12th scale stuff, other scales are available! It is a two part resin thingie, but doesn't stink like the Plasticraft stuff did. The same company also sell scenic water, that is brilliant for making jellies (inedible of course) and such like. Not easy to keep clean unfortunately, fun though. They also make Scenic Rust, but I haven't tried that as neither Hazelhatch or my room box have a desire for anything rusty.

Well I bit the dust this morning and bought a shirt pattern for 'himself' Flippin heck, £8.95, plus two metres of material (£3 a metre), fred (sorry, thread), interfacing, and buttons. Must be the dearest short sleeved shirt in the Republic of South Yorkshire. Of course when I make another one, well that will cut the cost of the pattern by half. I will probably find there will be enough interfacing to make another shirt anyway. I can't believe it use a whole metre of the stuff, not for a short sleeved shirt. I mean it will only be the collar and down the fronts. Wouldn't need much more for a shirt with cuffs come to think of it.

One of the patterns I ordered from Sew Direct is unavailable, but it isn't one that I was too bothered about. I seldom wear a dress anyway, much prefer shirts and tops. I'm hoping to get the shirt finished before our hols, but need to clear this lot of card making from my table first. Maybe by the end of the week. :)

Roz

Chalet School Fan
13-05-2013, 09:23 PM
I always wanted an Etch a Sketch. Was thrilled when DS was given one for Christmas as I could get to play with it. Didn't have Lego either - we had Betta Builder made by Airfix which was 6d a small box from Woolworths as opposed to 1/- for Lego! Loved my kids Lego for the same reason.
Can't believe how expensive patterns are today, but might give dressmaking a try again as I rarely find things I like in the shops. Trouble is I haven't got Mum around now to give me advice when I get stuck! She did City and Guilds tailoring classes - never took the exams, but was a mine of information.

suban
14-05-2013, 06:05 AM
I've warned all the ladies at church I'll be picking their brains like crazy!!!!! Mam did dressmaking at nightclasses. Did me a beautiful little red suit!!! Gran worked for the poshest clothes shop in town and was a clothes making wiz!!!! I had one of those kiddie sewing machines - they were brilliant - would have been great for sewing cards!!!! Especially as they were metal not plastic and clamped to the table.

I had lego later it was passed on to my cousin. Have to admit my favourite toy was non-craft - a silver cross dolls twin pram - sun canopy bought later as birthday present! Also a blackboard which Dad added legs to when I grew up a bit - regular Chrissy present was having it re-blacked. Sounds like I was a spoilt brat, but considering all I ever asked for was an orange, apple, threepenny bit, colouring book and crayons, black paper and sticky shapes - oh and an Annual please! Present buying must have been a nightmare for my parents. They did believe in buying quality over quantity and hence most of my toys way outlived their normal life span! Never had a Tressy doll (she was the one that had hair that grew) - the mechanism was naff. Got my beautiful Alison instead - and yes she's still here, dressed in an outfit Mam knitted for her!!!! - all I wanted was a doll with long hair!!!! Mam used to do her hair into a French pleat!!!!

RozMinis
14-05-2013, 08:23 PM
I've a doll (Christine) who is well over 60 years old. She lives in a box in the cupboard as I have nowhere to display her. I really hated that doll as no small child should be given a doll that size, especially as she had no clothes. If ever I was in trouble I took it out on her. Needless to say I now feel guilty at the way I treated her. Being a large sized baby doll, she now has more clothes than she knows what to do with. Some I knitted especially for her, others, she has inherited from Kate when she was a baby.

There are also two of Kate's baby dolls and a Sindy doll in the same box. Sindy is one of the old fashioned English Rose type, or in other words before she went on a diet and became like her American cousin - skinny! I made loads of clothes for those dolls too. Why there is still a single Sindy doll when all the others, Action Men too, did a vanishing act, as did most of the clothes. I still have loads of patterns for her and the Action men, so could reknit them again if needed. The two baby dolls, Annie is a white baby, and Lucy the black one, were quite expensive in their day, though not as costly as the Tiny Tears and others of that ilk. I made stacks of clothes for those too, mostly knitted of course as the patterns were easy to come by, most I still have.

Did anybody ever make anything with the French knitting thingie, or Knitting Nancy as it was also known? On a visit to York some years ago I bought a Knitting Nancy made from somat or other that came from an old spinning machine. I also bought a pair of wooden knitting needles that came from the same factory. Can't remember what they had been originally though. Just goes to show that recycling isn't anything new. :)

Roz

Chalet School Fan
14-05-2013, 09:18 PM
I wasn't really a child who played with dolls, but one Christmas I was given a doll. My Mum had knitted me a cardigan in blue and white and made my new doll one to match. My aunt, who had 3 sons and not much money, made me a striking out net petticoat to go under my party dress and one to match for my doll.. I loved those presents. The year my parents gave me a (refurbished) dolls house, my aunt made me the family to live in it. They were just made from pipe cleaners and scraps of material with woollen hair and embroidered features. They had buttons for feet, so they became the button family. I've still got them, although the pipe cleaners have gone a little rusty. After my Mum died I went to Australia to see her sister and I was so pleased to have the chance to tell her how much I loved those special presents she had made for me. All these years later they mean far more to me than expensive toys from a shop because they were made with so much love. I think that is why I have always included something I have made in my sons's Christmas presents.

suban
15-05-2013, 06:42 AM
One year there was a pattern in one of the woman's magazines for a full knitted set of dolls clothes. Mam couldn't wait till I was in bed and knitted two sets - one for Joyce, one of my first ever dolls, and one for Cindy a coloured doll (both still in existence) for Christmas. Knickers, vest, beret, skirt, jumper, pinafore dress and anorak. I was thrilled with the present - even though the anorak hood on one was a different shade - Mam had run out of the orange for the quilting effect and had to use a mustard colour for the hood! Jings I loved those outfits, but how come I always managed to loose the shoe and socks from dolls!

One Christmas I was poorly and we used to spend Christmas Day at Gran's. So I was wrapped up in a blanket and Great Aunt who had a car, came and picked us up. Gran was horrified that Mam had brought me out of the house when it was evident I should have been in bed. So more blankets were fished out and pillows brought down and I was snuggled into the big armchair beside the fire. I didn't want anything to eat - a sure sign I was poorly - and all I did when I was awake, was play with a little set of beads threading them on and off the plastic wire that came in the kit. Next day I was as right as rain, but Gran put her foot down - we were never to come on Christmas Day - in future Gran and the family would come to us! Then if I was poorly I could stay in bed, or at least not leave the house!

RozMinis
15-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Oh bless, CSF. I'm actually sitting here with tears in my eyes. I can't help but feel sorry for children today who don't know the pleasure, given as well as received, from hand made gifts.

I remember having flu one Christmas Susan. I was only about ten, thought I was going to die as I felt so rotten. Luckily I wasn't carted off to friends and family, which was just as well as I doubt I would have survived the journey. Oh what a drama queen I was! ;)

Roz

Chalet School Fan
15-05-2013, 07:32 PM
That's why I like having my craft club at school. I love the way the girls come to tell me about the pleasure their handmade gifts have given to their friends and family. Hopefully I'm passing on the importance of giving something of yourself in your gifts to a new generation. And that is an important part of their education. I have had a delightful American exchange student in the group this term who has knitted 2 scarves to take home as presents for her Mom and brother who has set the others a great model to follow!

suban
16-05-2013, 04:58 AM
No wonder you hear the mantra "I'm bored!" Everything is shop-bought and there's no sense of achievement. Also craft teaches and improves so many other areas - manual dexterity, co-ordination ...

Come on folks, we can help keep all the old skills alive and preserve and pass them on to future generations (oh heck I have turned into AT!). Well back to the battle of the voile!!!

Jacksmissis
16-05-2013, 10:52 AM
The "I'm Bored" is because they don't know how to amuse or find things out for themselves anymore, not because they're stupid but because its far too easy to press a button or flick a switch these days. What else is there now to be discovered that hasn't been already? The highlight of our school holidays was picknicking on the air-raid shelters, slinging syrup tins with string threaded through on our feet and clumping around the streets, rambles with jam butties and bottles of water and if you were really posh, on a bicycle instead of on foot!! After school we would be gathering with friends laughing and acting the fool till bedtime. Yes, bad people and bad things happened but in general, you went out of a morning and came home at night tired and happy.

suban
16-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Syrup can stilts!!! I remember those!!! Now that was a craft and a half!!!!!

Can I also say that in years to come those with skills will be the ones who survive - especially when fuel becomes scarce/toooooo expensive!!!!

Chalet School Fan
16-05-2013, 05:02 PM
I'd forgotten them as well. Used to make 'telephones' with tins and string too.
Did anyone else make raffia mats? That was another craft set I got as a present.
Don't watch Blue Peter these days so i don't know if they still do their makes. I loved following those instructions too, but 'sticky backed plastic' was too expensive for me.
It sounds like I had a deprived childhood,but actually it wasn't. Mum didn't work until I was in the Sixth Form (to pay for me to go to university) so she was always there to cook meals and cakes and to make my clothes, but with only one income money wasn't plentiful.

Deefersmum
16-05-2013, 05:38 PM
I wasn't really a child who played with dolls, but one Christmas I was given a doll. My Mum had knitted me a cardigan in blue and white and made my new doll one to match. My aunt, who had 3 sons and not much money, made me a striking out net petticoat to go under my party dress and one to match for my doll.. I loved those presents. The year my parents gave me a (refurbished) dolls house, my aunt made me the family to live in it. They were just made from pipe cleaners and scraps of material with woollen hair and embroidered features. They had buttons for feet, so they became the button family. I've still got them, although the pipe cleaners have gone a little rusty. After my Mum died I went to Australia to see her sister and I was so pleased to have the chance to tell her how much I loved those special presents she had made for me. All these years later they mean far more to me than expensive toys from a shop because they were made with so much love. I think that is why I have always included something I have made in my sons's Christmas presents. This all reminds me of my childhood too - when I was little my mum used to buy a straightforward rubber? plastic? doll for Christmas and dress it for me - beautiful little hand stitched dresses and coats, then my aunt who lived with us for a while because she was very ill would use a knitting machine she had and make cardigans, leggings, bootees and hats for the doll as well. It gives me a warm glow when I think about the love, time and trouble that went into making everything.

Deefersmum
16-05-2013, 05:44 PM
I'd forgotten them as well. Used to make 'telephones' with tins and string too.
Did anyone else make raffia mats? That was another craft set I got as a present.
Don't watch Blue Peter these days so i don't know if they still do their makes. I loved following those instructions too, but 'sticky backed plastic' was too expensive for me.
It sounds like I had a deprived childhood,but actually it wasn't. Mum didn't work until I was in the Sixth Form (to pay for me to go to university) so she was always there to cook meals and cakes and to make my clothes, but with only one income money wasn't plentiful. I made raffia mats and a newspaper/plaster of paris plate and something using a blown up balloon which was covered in newspaper and glue and then you popped the balloon and pulled it out of the bottom - can't remember what it was supposed to be????? I also remember making a lampshade with this thick tough material which meant the needle kept going back into the tops of your fingers -ouch - blimey, if that was today my parents would be down the school claiming thousands for injury and distress!!

RozMinis
16-05-2013, 07:48 PM
I remember covering a balloon in paper and paste. Haven't the foggiest idea what for either. I know Kate made a piggy bank for Michael a couple of years ago. I wanted one too, but so far it hasn't happened. I feel soooo deprived for not having got one n'all. :(

Still not made a start on the shirt for 'himself as I need to clear the top of my office table to cut out the pattern. I'm making cards for the fluffit and woofit shop, so can't do anything until they are out of the way.

The patterns I ordered from Stitch Direct arrived this morning. Lovely that are too. I especially like the hat and tote bag. I think that could be the next thing on my list. :)

Roz

Chalet School Fan
16-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Used to make heads for Guys for November 5th by putting paper mâché onto balloons and then painting faces on them.

suban
17-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Raffia mats - yep remember those, and the papermachier thing with balloons were used for giant puppet shows at school! Anyone else do stitching mats at school using binca (Big block Aida), using a variety of stitches?

Deefersmum
17-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Raffia mats - yep remember those, and the papermachier thing with balloons were used for giant puppet shows at school! Anyone else do stitching mats at school using binca (Big block Aida), using a variety of stitches?I can remember that one and making a simple apron from gingham with rik rak ribbon on it and making a cork mat with wooden beads sewn round the outside. When I was at secondary school I carried on with needlework and for part of my exams I took up smocking - loved it then but would probably die of boredom now - I don't have the same attention span unfortunately.

suban
17-05-2013, 03:43 PM
I know some of the boys in junior school also did lampshades with thick string glued round a balloon then deflated! Shabbytat sprang to mind!!!!

Chalet School Fan
17-05-2013, 05:21 PM
More crafts I'd forgotten about!! Ric rac braid on gingham - only we made cushions rather than an apron. I put appliqué fish on mine and turned it into an underwater scene. And binca pencil cases with lots of different stitches. Putting the zip in was a bit of a mission I remember. And sewing beads around cork mats using blanket stitch. I think that was another Spears kit I got as a Christmas present.

Julie
17-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Gosh you have all made lots of wonderful memories come flooding back.

I wasn't allowed what my Mum considered junk toys :devil: so it was crafty things all the way for me.

I loved my science kit too, making homemade sparklers was a fave. I also remember making a fancy chess set with rubber moulds.

Deefersmum
17-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Gosh you have all made lots of wonderful memories come flooding back.

I wasn't allowed what my Mum considered junk toys :devil: so it was crafty things all the way for me.

I loved my science kit too, making homemade sparklers was a fave. I also remember making a fancy chess set with rubber moulds. Ohhhhhhh - Homemade sparklers recipe please

RozMinis
17-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Sorry, that shouldn't have been Stitch Direct, but Sew Direct. Different type of company, though I do deal with both. :)

Roz

RozMinis
17-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Ooooo, never seen handmade sparklers. What fun, just so long as one doesn't set fire to the house of course.

Did the Binca stuff at junior school, also did knitting there, but dut for some reason I didn't enjoy it. One thing I did learn though was the cable method of casting on. I still use it to this day.

I loved needlework lessons at senior school. The first thing we had to make was an apron and cap for our cookery lessons. I then made an underskirt. The memory goes a bit hazy during over the next couple of years, but I remember making a nightdress and having to model it in front of all those people on parents night, followed by doing the same the following day in front of the school. I was much happier modelling the coat I made at the end of my final year.

For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the teacher, silly really as I can remember the name of the rest of them. Because I was interested in other forms of needlework she showed me how to do Italian quilting and smocking, all very much appreciated.

Roz

Julie
17-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Sparklers were really easy, dipping the wires into some gloopy powder that you had added water to, then dipping the whole thing into what I used to call iron filings. I used to have my own shed where I did my experiments, endless jars of murky substances. I was a dab hand at making fake dog poo, poodles were my speciality.Can't forget the homemade 'perfume', handfuls of rose petals steeped in gin pinched out of the drinks cabinet.

Chalet School Fan
17-05-2013, 09:30 PM
I used to buy copper sulphate from the local chemists to make large blue crystals. I found that fascinating, like the crystal gardens we made by putting different coloured crystalline chemicals into isinglass. Bet Health and Safety wouldn't let 11 year olds buy poisonous stuff like that today!
Wish I'd known about making sparklers then!

suban
18-05-2013, 06:20 AM
OK I confess - still got my chemistry and microscope kits - anyone want to come and play???? I was another who loved growing copper sulphate crystals!!!! Made a lipstick once at a short-lived science club at school.

Deefersmum
18-05-2013, 11:56 AM
I was a dab hand at making fake dog poo, poodles were my speciality. Lovely - did you go to fake dog poo classes? May I put in an order for my poodle cross?

suban
18-05-2013, 12:04 PM
I see a whole new "underground" craft market starting - fake dog poo, copper sulphate faux tanzanite, household sparklers ... Heck we could rule the craft world!

Just found some Bergere de France lurex and ribbon cord to lucet with!!!!

RozMinis
18-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Sparklers were really easy, dipping the wires into some gloopy powder that you had added water to, then dipping the whole thing into what I used to call iron filings. I used to have my own shed where I did my experiments, endless jars of murky substances. I was a dab hand at making fake dog poo, poodles were my speciality.Can't forget the homemade 'perfume', handfuls of rose petals steeped in gin pinched out of the drinks cabinet.

Gin? Well that's your excuse then is it! ;) Oooo I am soooo nawty. ;)

Roz

RozMinis
18-05-2013, 07:55 PM
I see a whole new "underground" craft market starting - fake dog poo, copper sulphate faux tanzanite, household sparklers ... Heck we could rule the craft world!

Just found some Bergere de France lurex and ribbon cord to lucet with!!!!

Well at least you should be safe with the latter. :whew: Not sure I would trust you with the rest though! :grin:

Roz

Chalet School Fan
18-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Found my original Spirograph when I was turning out a cupboard today. Gonna play this evening! :grin:

jr77
18-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Found my original Spirograph when I was turning out a cupboard today. Gonna play this evening! :grin:

Admit it CSF - you were looking for it! Hope you have fun.

suban
19-05-2013, 05:24 AM
We want to see what you created CSF!!!!!

Deefersmum
19-05-2013, 09:07 AM
I always wanted one of those thingys - can't remember what it was called but it was like a red tablet with a grey 'screen' and you drew with a tool a bit like a blunt pencil and the lines showed up on the 'screen' in black. After a little thought it seemed pretty useless because if you did something you were proud of, you couldn't keep it. Evening now and brain working - it was called Etch a Sketch

Chalet School Fan
19-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Sussed! I was hoping it was there, but I was actually trying to find my son's wooden train set which has been packed away for 20 years and the Spirograph fell out during the hunt. Also discovered all the old board games like Spy Ring which now sell for large sums of money on auction sites. Rarely played with them as the instructions were so complicated so I'm tempted to sell them so I have more money for crafting goodies.

suban
19-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Don't sell the spirograph though!!!!

Got a box out with needlecraft in - some started, others not! So am now sitting working my way through it - an 18L RUB so you can imagine how much is in it!!!! But I'm determined to be systematic!

RozMinis
19-05-2013, 07:54 PM
We used to play Careers, Payday, and somat else, I forget what. Some of the rules were a bit silly, especially the one about going down a level just for getting divorced. This was at the time HRH Princess Margaret & Lord TAJ got divorced, and I didn't notice them going down a level. Quite the reverse in fact!

Having done so many cross stitched and polymer clay items for the DHUK Advent swap I decided it was high time I did something with the crochet hook. Soooo this afternoon I hunted out a reel of pink Venne Colcoton and the 0.60 mm crochet hook and got to work on a pram set for one of the little rubber babies that are now virtually impossible to find. I did struggle a bit, but managed to finish the leggings, baby now wearing 'em, and as far as the neck shaping on the back. Won't get any of it done tomorrow, but hopefully I might have the whole lot finished on Wednesday. :) While hunting out the pattern I found one I had designed for a very small teddy bear. Unlike my other one, this one has his clothes worked as part of the body, so I think I will use that for the group birthday swap, unless I think of something else that is. :)

Roz

suban
20-05-2013, 05:30 AM
Jings - found some right carp in this box! Got 2 voiles to finish the edgings for! And some crochet cotton over 12 years old - bought in Sorrento. Haven't decided what to do with that yet. Loads of cards to cross stitch - yikes - bought at Poundland over 4 years ago! I know 2 of the designs don't fit the cards! So dug out an old Anna mag and will use the designs in that! Wish they still did that mag over here!

RozMinis
20-05-2013, 07:42 PM
I used to love those American magazines. One sometimes had to be a bit inventive with the knitting and crochet patterns, but what the heck, they were totally different to what I could find over here. Most of my early cross stitch charts came from the USA, many I still use, in fact some of 'em have been used dozens of times, especially the Christmas ones.

I took a load of cards down to the charity shop this morning, about 55 I think it was. Just as well as Barry said they had none left. I reckon I had better get on with some more. It wouldn't do if peeps spent their money in the newly opened card shop a few doors down from the fluffit/woofit shop.

I collected my new specs this morning, two pairs, one of which is the 2.5 magnification ones. Can't manage without those. Then nipped into Argos and invested in a new camera. I really can't manage with the one I have. Much as I love it, it is just too heavy for me to handle. Managed to get £30 off using my Nectar points, so well pleased with myself. What I saved I then went and spent on some goodies from Dot at Paper n Card, plus several cross stitch charts that our team leader was selling off. :)

I had hoped the cutting board might have arrived today, but nooo, so unless it turns up early tomorrow I won't get the chance to cut out the shirt for 'himself'. :(

Roz

suban
21-05-2013, 05:00 AM
I used to buy crochet mags in Belgium - Sabrina is great for doilies etc, and DMC do a mag not available over here - it has all sorts of patterns for round the home which aren't available over here. Same with the Anna magazine - great for learning new skills and for broadening what you can do with Cross stitch.

Chalet School Fan
21-05-2013, 07:25 AM
I've got a pile of McCalls magazines from the 1980s. I subscribed to it in the days when there were no crafting magazines here. I then discovered Just Cross Stitch and have done lots of their designs. It was a revelation to me what it was possible to cross stitch and I learned most of the different techniques I know from those mags. Today I prefer Britsh designs,but I will always be thankful for the US designers who got me into cross stitch et al in the first place.

suban
21-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Oh Lavender and Lace - I just love collecting the patterns - and ONE DAY may get them done!!!! Got quite a few started though :)

RozMinis
21-05-2013, 07:06 PM
My passion at the moment are the charts from JBW Designs. Sew and So sell them, designs to die (or even dye) for. ;)

The cutting board arrived this afternoon. Unfortunately too late for me to have a go at cutting out the shirt pattern. The plan, yes I have a plan, is to have a go tomorrow, once I wrestled with the sheets and stuff from the bed. Was s'posed to have washed them today, but got slightly side-tracked by other 'stuff', as in my new camera. :)

Roz

suban
21-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Well got the pile of cheapo cross stitch cards ready to stitch. Using JG Painted lady butterfly chart but using the threads that came with the cards. These will then be sold at church for their autumn fayre. Finished another lucetted bauble and blinged it with pinned sequins a la pinflair.

RozMinis
22-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Must have a go at lucetting again. I have the tools, loads of threads, and the destructions. Got loads those baubles (bought at the NEC) plus assorted bling, so I don't have an excuse do I? Well maybe time might be one of 'em. I had hoped to cover 24 mini matchboxes with cross stitch to use with the Jane Greenoff Advent calendar from last year. Looks as though that ain't gonna happen though as I have loads of other stuff that needs/must be done first. I still have the little paper parcels from last year anyway, so not exactly a big problem, especially as the Bucilla one is going to take priority.

I managed to cut out the shirt this morning. Gawd, bending over the bed does make ones back ache. Not helped by the pins I was using being a tad on the blunt side. In the end I gave up and used my teeny lace making pins, not the brass ones, these were some I bought for mini patchwork many many years ago. I remember 'em turning up actually, I met the postie as he was coming up the path, and we spent ages watching the hot air balloons drifting overhead. :)

I spent the afternoon flaked out on the chair, must have been tired as I went to sleep. Not sure if I will go up to the Co-op/bank tomorrow or leave it until Friday. Probably won't feel like digging out the machine when I do go, so tomorrow might be a better day to go, that will leave me all day Friday, a pause on Saturday for the racing, plus Sunday and Monday with nothing planned.

Roz

suban
23-05-2013, 05:44 AM
Know how you feel about your back - woke up this morning with my back locked - first time in 6 months! So if you see someone walking round like a crab - it's me!!! Damn, wanted to get on with the painting and decorating and hopefully stencil the living room wall!

RozMinis
23-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Cross with myself today. Found I had made a serious error of judgement, as in a stooped mistake, on my dresser thingie. Soooo I am having to frog the entire edge. This is the second time, so not sure if the thread will stand it, so I've just bought another skein. Well you can't just buy one skein of thread, even if it does cost four squid, so have bought other goodies as well. Ordered a box of dressmaking pins, which I hope will be better than the ones I have, a couple of crochet patterns, ditto cross stitch charts.

No way am I going to be buying anything from C & C at the present time, they take way too long to deliver, so may as well buy from a company that only take a day or two. The goodies should be in the post tomorrow, but may not arrive until after the bank holiday. It really depends on Royal Mail as Sew and So do send stuff by first class post. Usually goodies arrive the next working day, but this could be the exception.

Roz

suban
24-05-2013, 01:07 AM
Stitch Direct have a free p&p offer at the mo Roz! Nipping out today to get a skein of DMC 3033 for Aunt so we can put a kit she bought right! Seems that one colour is missing and she's got some serious frogging to do. Although she managed to get replacements for the others the shop she went to had sold out of that shade. Also going to tack up Henry and his 6 wives for her so she knows where to start from! Yikes!!!! Still got mine to finish - and the millennium sampler :mysmilie_466:

Chalet School Fan
24-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Thanks Suban - I've got THREE millennium samplers in progress. Must get around to finishing them. Where does time go?

suban
24-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Just remembered - Gold Collection Millennium Angel to finish as well!!!! Runs out of the room screaming!!!!!

elcee
24-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Don't worry, Chalet School Fan and Suban. Just make sure you get them all done in time for the next millennium.

RozMinis
24-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Don't worry, Chalet School Fan and Suban. Just make sure you get them all done in time for the next millennium.

Hahahaha, or even the one after! ;)

I'm back on course with my dresser thingie, though doubt I will get it finished before our hols. It's a bit too big to take with me, so I may take the map of Michigan with me instead. It is only small, but as I am taking some knitting and my Kindle, I should have enough to do in the evenings, or when it is chucking it down with rain. None of the latter is forecast as yet, but it ain't gonna be very warm, +16 if I'm lucky. Thermal knickers spring to mind.

I'm hoping to make a start on the shirt tomorrow, finishing off some cards tonight. Even if all I do is oversew the edges to stop the material fraying, it will be a start. :)

Didn't realise there was free P & P with Stitch direct this week. Usually they send me an email telling me, wonder why I haven't received one. :( No matter, I really ought not to buy anything else this week. :(

Roz

Chalet School Fan
24-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Problem is that the samplers are for ME and stuff for other people always makes it to the front of the queue.
I'm teaching Hinduism at the moment and the idea of re-birth is attractive. As I have so many WIP perhaps I'll come back destined to sew until I finish what I've started. :wonder:

suban
25-05-2013, 05:49 AM
Think I'm going to need several re-incarnations!!!!! Have to agree that stuff for other folks is taking priority! OMG just found that table cloth from over 5 years ago to finish!!!!! plus the little rug Mam wanted - oops! Put that box away now my girl!!!!

RozMinis
25-05-2013, 07:40 PM
That's the problem, too many things to do for others, and no time to do for ourselves. I ordered a couple of DMC crochet patterns from Sew & So, just wondering if I will ever get the chance to do them. I've not got very far with the latest jumper for 'himself', only about 20 rows of the back done so far. Then he wants another pair of those extra long socks, make that stockings, knitting. By the time those are out of the way, it will be Christmas. Please Christopher, if you must get married and have little un's, please wait until I have time to knit stuff. Though who knows, they may be the sort who only like bought items, not hand made ones.

Roz

suban
26-05-2013, 06:25 AM
Will be glad to get the lucetted decorations done - those poly eggs and balls take up a lot of room! Want to get the decorating done - sick of tripping over tins of paint! Think I may have to give up sleeping!!!!!

Chalet School Fan
26-05-2013, 08:44 AM
I know the feeling Suban. Fortunately in summer I wake at first light (or with the first plane flying overhead as we're right under the final flight path into Gatwick), so that's when I find time to get crafting. It was card making at 5am yesterday and this morning it was cross stitch in bed as it was sunny outside.

suban
26-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who crafts in bed!!!! Was lucetting at 6 this morning!!!!! I'm another who spends the light nights and mornings cross stitching - hence Christmas cross stitching in May!

RozMinis
26-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Slap, you mentioned that C word! ;)

Managed to oversew all the edges last night, and have a bit of a play at doing buttonholes. Would probably have made a better job if I'd used the correct tools for the job. I'd switched my computer off, Soooo couldn't check with the destruction book that came as a CD. Better print it out tonight I guess.

Roz

suban
26-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Another one who does things without reading the destructions!!!! Naughty Roz!!! :grin:

RozMinis
26-05-2013, 09:26 PM
That's cos I had turned my lappy off. The stoopid thing should have come with a book of destructions anyway, not a silly CD. I mean what is the point of a CD to somebody who doesn't have a computer? Actually to save me using the CD, don't like using the one on my lappy, I downloaded the destructions from t'Internet, but that still ain't any flippin use unless one has a pooter.

Watched the quilting show this morning. Nearly had a fit at all the material that was wasted. As I have to consider my blood pressure I decided not to watch the show at two o'clock.

Right, I will now go and print out the pages I need. Forgot earlier when I was faffing about photocopying some cross stitch charts. I never use the copy that comes with the kit, much prefer to scan or photocopy, that way I always have the original should I want to work the design again, which in the case of the small charts, especially the C*******s ones, happens quite often. ;)

Roz

suban
27-05-2013, 05:27 AM
I've sometimes photocopied charts to enlarge them - especially where they are in magazines!!!!! I used to have an erasable highlighter for marking my charts. Wish I could remember where I bought it from.

RozMinis
27-05-2013, 07:10 PM
999 times out of 10 I end up enlarging charts, or at least photocopying them so I can see where the backstitching is as I usually colour the charts if they are in black and white symbols, which so many are. When I make up my own, or print JG's, I always use colour and symbols. It does often mean I have to change the colour, but that doesn't actually matter, just so long as the number corresponds with the thread colour needed. The number of times a poor dog or cat has been coloured in bright orange or red.............. ;)

Roz

suban
28-05-2013, 05:52 AM
Craft bag set up for Saturday! Also 2 cushions I'd cross stitched are packed ready to take over - you know the ones that are about 5 holes to the inch. Aunt asked if she could have them, and since I've got a load of cushions still to make, I'm only too pleased for her to have them.

RozMinis
28-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Aw bless, I remember first learning to stitch using Binca. Hated it at the time as all we seemed to do was boring stuff, when I wanted to do something more exciting. I know we had to make a cover for a dolls bed that had been made by the boys using cardboard. We also had to knit a blanket for the same bed. Well honestly mine would have been classed as a disreputable dish cloth it was so bad. No matter, I have improved a bit over the years!

The runner for the dresser is not too far from being finished, though it will be having a bit of a rest for a week or so as other things are far more important. I'm sure it will still be waiting for me , unless we have stitching fairies in residence that is. ;)

Roz

suban
29-05-2013, 06:16 AM
First thing I knitted at school was a purse, then a pair of mitts - still use the pattern for childrens mitts! Then a jumper - think Mam had to muck in and help, especially with the sewing up. I used to do anything with a needle except sew! Being a crafting butterfly, I've started a hexagonal crocheted throw! It'll probably end up going in the church craft fair!

Chalet School Fan
29-05-2013, 09:07 AM
When I was at senior school we had to make children's clothes which were displayed in our form rooms on Founder's Day and then given to various charities. I was useless at knitting so Mum always made something for me! I felt bad about that, so it was one of the things that spurred me on to improve my skills. They don't do things like that now - they go and do things like decorate an old lady's flat. Still it is a good lesson in the importance of giving in time and talents as well as money. Something I am glad I learned when I was young.

RozMinis
29-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Could have done with some help decorating the bungalow. Well the front room anyway, all I did with the bedrooms was paint them.

We didn't do anything like that when I was at school. Though we did collect food for harvest festival and either take it to an orphanage or to local elderly people.

Roz