PDA

View Full Version : Materials for decorating a food/drinks cooler

Tbronson
06-06-2013, 11:37 PM
We're looking to decorate plastic food/drinks coolers (insulated hampers or chests, like Rubbermaid, etc) for distributing bags of salad mix.

The two main problems we're trying to solve first:

1. What type of paint can we use on the outside of the coolers. It should be able stand up to handling - stacking and the like - and won't flake easily. The design will be simple, something can be done with a stencil or simple taping, like stripes, or two colors, like simplified blades of grass against a blue sky. We'd also consider any alternative to paint, like colored tape. The idea is to customize the coolers as simply, cheaply, and durably as possibly.

2. How to attach some sort of sign board to the inside of the lid, and to the top of the lid. Here we're looking for an attachment method that allows easy removal of the board, and also the board material itself, that can be painted on and is fairly impervious to moisture. We were thinking of glued on velcro or sheet magnets for attachment, and have no idea yet as to material, something reasonably durable.

Suggestions? Thanks!

jr77
13-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Not really my area of expertise but several possibilities spring to mind. Acryllic paints should be ok on that sort of surface or a good quality spray paint from an art shop although they are messy till you get the hang of it. If you look in the outlets section you will find links to our various sponsors' shops and many of them stock a variety of suitable paints plus masks and stencils which you could use to make the job easier.

You could also use adhesive vinyl and there are some useful ideas in this thread about decorating wheelie bins (http://www.crafttelly.com/forum/showthread.php?17508-I-have-to-admit&highlight=wheelie).

Can't help with fixing the board unless you could use foamboard with blu-tac?

Deefersmum
13-06-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm not too sure about the use of paint but, if you read various threads on the forum, you will see write ups on the Silhouette Cameo whereby you can cut vinyl. The machine is a considered purchase but would be a good investment over a period of time for a business. You would be able to produce your own logo, lettering etc. Magnets sound a good idea for your signs or you can purchase self adhesive Velcro circles.

Mitzi
13-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Can't advise on paints although I'd think some spray paints like graffiti artists use (with a stencil) would be good.

I'd definitely go with velcro strips or sheets for the signs but the glue used needs to be (a) stronger than the velcro and (b) not to damage the plastic. If the glue isn't strong enough you'd end up pulling all the velcro (i.e. both sides of it) off when you remove the sign; a bit like the Tim Holtz ink distressing tool. Read the small print on something like gorilla glue to see if it's suitable.