PDA

View Full Version : printer help

Patsy
20-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Didnt know where to put this but whst is the best one to get please, not EPSON

Are Canon ok , but have read the cartridges dont last long, what pain these things are eh

Dips
20-10-2013, 03:33 PM
I agree about Epson, hate mine but it's still working so can't justify binning it, but it won't take cardstock and only gives Epson branded paper as the paper options. My best ever printer was Lexmark, printed up to 300gsm without hestitation, but Lexmark really seem to have fallen out of fashion. Will be interested to see what others recommend.

Dax
20-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Patsy I recently went for a Canon 5350 as it accept compatible cartridges which are widely available including Amazon and gets great reviews.

Deefersmum
20-10-2013, 04:30 PM
We have two A3 Brother printers and we are pleased with them - we buy compatible inks from 999 Inks and the cartridges last for a good period of time. We have had both the printers for about a year and (touch wood) we haven"t had any problems.

pyjama princess
20-10-2013, 05:09 PM
I've had my Canon for years after it was recommended by a crafting friend. It's an Pixma MP610 which probably isn't available now as I've had it for so long. Before that I had a Lexmark but it was a front loader and would only take thin card. The Canon has a rear tray which means I can use thicker card. because it's so old I don't bother buying Canon ink cartridges. I now buy online from Refresh Cartridges and they're really cheap (£2.90 ish?), next day delivery if ordered before 17:30, free 1st class delivery.

Dips
20-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Dax and DF, can you confirm if you can print card on your printers, and if so, to what thickness?

Patsy
20-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Seems like Canon is popular them.I thank you all for the help.:michaelmyers:

notmorecraft
20-10-2013, 05:34 PM
I have a brother a3 printer which takes all thickness of card and also prints 12x12, I get the inks (not branded) off amazon they work great last a reasonable time and are true to colour for photos, I have also printed on canvas with it no problems.

Waterlily
20-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Another Canon fan here, my last two have been Canon. The first one was individual colour cartridges, this latest one is one cartridge, when I need a new one I'll make sure it's individual cartridges.

For the first one I did buy different cartridges but haven't found any for this one yet, haven't looked lately though.

jube
20-10-2013, 07:48 PM
I now have a canon but it doesn't like to print double sided on thin card.

Craftysusan
20-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Hi Patsy. I have an Epson photo PX710W but as it is front loading it won't take card stock. I therefore bought a second printer recently - a Canon MP230 which is a top loader. Takes card beautifully. I didn't mind getting a second printer as it was only around £30 from Staples and I only use it for card so the ink lasts a long time for me. From all the blogs I read before I bought it, I think front loaders are a non-starter if you want it to take heavy card. Hope this helps.

Julie
20-10-2013, 11:06 PM
I have an HP Envy in white and whilst it looks the part, it doesn't print decent weight cardstock and the front loading tray is very flimsy. I don't think for one moment it will last anywhere near the amount of time my last printer did.

vampyre
20-10-2013, 11:49 PM
I have a samsung laser printer which I use all the time but my inkjet is canon, pretty ancient now but has always been excellent. The actual inks are really good and I try to stick with them.

Patsy
22-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks Crafty susan, that sounds hopeful then, going to have a look later.

Marilynmcl
22-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Vampyre....is your Samsung laser printer a mono or colour ?...I have a laser printer but is only mono but would like a colour printer.

Tuco
22-10-2013, 02:47 PM
I use a HP Photosmart 8450
its a front loader and I print on Centura Pearl card

vampyre
22-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Vampyre....is your Samsung laser printer a mono or colour ?...I have a laser printer but is only mono but would like a colour printer.

Hello Marilyn xx.
It's actually both, the 3 colours and also a black toner cartridge. I have used it a massive amount over many years and not had to refill. It's also wifi which is brilliant! Bought at a good price from Amazon.

Dax
25-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Dax and DF, can you confirm if you can print card on your printers, and if so, to what thickness?

Dips so far only used 240 gsm Supersmooth card and with the back feeder is goes through so easily.