PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon Embroidery and Beading

Julie
05-11-2013, 07:43 PM
I bought the most beautiful little kit on Sunday, which arrived this morning. It will be my first go at this type of thing. Do I need to use one of those hoop type things when I am making it, I want to get it right first time.

I am sewing onto silk.

MTIA

Waterlily
05-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Hi Julie

I'm not sure about silk, but the hoops make it much easier as it keeps the material taut (don't know if that's the right word as it's not really tight and stretched) flat and even maybe. I'm not sure if the wooden hoops would spoil the silk or not. Sometimes there are little splinters that might catch (near where you tighten the top hoop. OMG what a lot of waffle. lol

Waterlily
05-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Another thought, how big is the material? I've got (somewhere lol) a square frame with bits that go over the edges so the material goes under the bits. There are also larger tapestry frames that you tack the material onto.

I'll have a look and see if I can find my other frames tomorrow.

Not sure if that all makes sense but I know what I mean lol.

Waterlily
05-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Found this Julie.

http://germanrenaissance.net/dressing-a-slate-frame-to-embroider-on-silk/

Julie
05-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Huge thanks Pam, even though I have never done this before I did have a funny feeling about stretching the silk.

I am going to start it tomorrow without anything and see how I go. It is tiny.

suban
06-11-2013, 03:49 AM
When using hoops on delicate fabric I have bound my hoops literally by using bandages so they grip but don't damage the fabric. If it is small you could use a plastic hoop. For ribbon embroidery I would use a hoop or frame because you often find yourself using more than 1 needle.

Jacksmissis
06-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Do lets see yours when you've done Julie! with silk, it would be the creasing that would be a killer for me. I once paid a fortune for Jack a pure silk shirt in a plum colour (looked rather fetching! ha!ha!) but it was a divil to iron and soon went to charity shop!

suban
06-11-2013, 10:54 AM
I've got three Pearsall's silk kits I'm "working on" :mysmilie_845: