PDA

View Full Version : Bargain Intro to Cross-Stitch

Muffintop
16-11-2013, 11:41 AM
I love watching Jane Greenhoff and hope Father Christmas has a corner in his sack for a couple of her books I want.

In the meantime, I was having a wander around ebug and found a DVD for £1.29 P&P free which is an intro to the craft. Couldn't resist sending for it as I tried cross-stitch and couldn't get the hang of it and still have the kits in a cupboard.

It is a fab no-frills intro into cross-stitch which works for me.

Chalet School Fan
16-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Hope you enjoy it Muffintop. I love cross stitch as it is so relaxing and therapeutic. When my kids were small and I was juggling a full-time job with household responsibilities I used to call it 'my Valium' as it had such a calming effect!

RozMinis
16-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Good for you Muffintop, I hope you enjoy yourself.

Cross stitching is known to reduce blood pressure. That means mine should be 80 over 40 in that case! ;)

I've a few beginner cross stitching booklet that I use on a regular basis for card making. They are only small designs, which is all one needs, especially as I no longer use double fold aperture cards. I just fray the edges of the fabric instead.

I don't think I am going to be able to finish my 12 stitching days of Christmas in time for it to be displayed this year. I keep getting sidetracked by other things, especially crochet and knitting. No matter, it will get finished before I begin another project, which is the main thing. I know what the next project will be, the WW1 soldier. It is supposed to be worked on Aida, at least that is what is in the kit, but as I detest Aida I need to invest in an evenweave, or even linen. I do have plenty of evenweave, but not in the colour I want to use. Roll on next Saturday at Harrogate, I should be able to find what I want there. :)

Roz

Muffintop
17-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Hi both and thank you.

I did start going to a local class with MIL but she a natural at it, I needed an intensive course of idiot-level intro. I'm pleased I kept the kits though and I think there is one started as well. I just need to get some promised knitting out of the way and then I'll have a go. My friend picks her kits up really cheaply from charity shops and she's really good as well. I'm surround by really talented needle crafters so you'd think it would bloomin' rub off!!!!

The DVD isn't Jane Greenhoff's btw but suits me.

I really can see the therapeutic side to stitching. I only picked up my knitting needles again due to stress at work and it did help.

RozMinis
17-11-2013, 05:57 PM
I think it is making something that quiet to do that makes it a stress buster. I know I never feel at peace when I use my sewing machine as it is noisy, as one would expect seeing as it is a machine! ;)

I picked up the knitting needles this morning as 'himself' requires another pair of the mega long socks. Suds, the yarn I bought is double knitting, not the 4ply it should have been. Oh well, he also needed another pair of thicker socks, so all is not lost. Done the rib and the first 10 rows of stocking stitch already, only seemed to be at it for about an hour, if that. :)

Roz

Roz

Chalet School Fan
17-11-2013, 07:51 PM
There's nothing difficult about cross stitch. All it takes is a bit of patience and careful counting! Just make sure all your stitches lie in the same direction - it doesn't matter which way round, just be consistent. And keep your tension even - some people use a hoop, but I prefer not to unless I'm working on a fine count of even weave.

Good luck!

suban
18-11-2013, 04:41 AM
I tend to only use a hoop when it's evenweave. It's the old eyes!!!!

Muffintop
18-11-2013, 07:11 AM
I have hoops but it's the sewing the stitches the right way that confused me last!!!

suban
18-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Get into the habit of top right to bottom left on first pass then top left to bottom right on the second pass, is about the best tip I can give. Also do the largest patch of the one colour worked nearest the centre, then you've got a reference point. ( Like \\\\\\ on first pass then ///// on second pass). The only time this isn't the best method is if you're using a shaded thread then each stitch (X) has to be worked individually.

RozMinis
18-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Funny how different we all are. I do my crosses the opposite way round. Well I just have to be different! I also use a hoop for just about everything. There are usually seven of us at the Monday group, three of us prefer evenweave and linen, three prefer Aida, and Han will have a go with Aida, plastic canvas and perforated paper. I'm not sure she has tried evenweave yet. :)

I'm also one of those who has to do a zig-zag around the edge of the fabric. If I am too lazy to dig out the sewing machine, or if there isn't room for it on my craft table, which is most of the time, then I will over sew the edges by hand. When using evenweave or linen I also grid the fabric to match the chart. I know it all takes time, but I am rubbish when it comes to counting, and frogging is an even bigger waste of time. I think I am also one of those weird people who likes backstitching.

Ha, always knew I was weird, all the above shows I am correct in that assumption. ;)

Roz

Chalet School Fan
18-11-2013, 07:59 PM
I stitch the same way as you Roz. Couldn't stitch comfortably the other way round.

suban
19-11-2013, 04:22 AM
Probably do it that way round cos I'm left handed!!!

Muffintop
19-11-2013, 06:49 AM
I'm a leftie as well and had to teach myself to knit as my right-handed mother just confused me. I used to have a friend who knitted left-handily and that confused me as well. In the end taught myself from a book.

Jilly
19-11-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm left handed. But knit right handed and sew left handed!

suban
20-11-2013, 06:05 AM
I had to teach myself to crochet, but I look most inelegant while doing it, but at least I'm fast!

Muffintop
20-11-2013, 04:44 PM
I had to teach myself to crochet, but I look most inelegant while doing it, but at least I'm fast!

I kneel at the feet of anyone who can crochet. I bought Wendy Poole's dvd and at least I can do a chain now but that's it! Just discoved mitred square knitting so my sock wool will be going towards that, never got the hang of using DPNS.

Um, not sure I'm among the naturally gifted crafters on this forum somehow ROFL :mysmilie_15:

RozMinis
20-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Nice to know we are all doing stuff, even if we do it differently. I was once told I was doing my cross stitching wrong, but I didn't care, especially as I was selling mine, even designed some 1/12th scale items for a magazine, so I must have been something right! :)

Roz

suban
21-11-2013, 04:37 AM
Hey Muffin I kneel at the feet of cardmakers. After all these years I'm only just getting past the pick n stick stage!

Chalet School Fan
21-11-2013, 06:24 AM
I like reading about what other people are doing because it inspires me to resurrect an old hobby or try something new. I went through a non cross stitching phase, but I got my mojo back last year and am just completing the final squares for a quilt destined as a Christmas present. It is the Margaret Sherry animal alphabet which was in cross Stitcher years ago. I saved Y is for Yak to stitch while I was in the Himalayas!

suban
21-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Just starting to think about parchment craft again. And before you ask - the tatting and lacemaking stuff is still in the box, untouched!

RozMinis
21-11-2013, 06:29 PM
I haven't done any parching in ages, on my 'to do' list for 2014, ditto the needle tatting. I've a list a mile long of cross stitching projects for 2014, some of which could take me well into 2015. Have a long term plan is my motto!

Wonder if I ought to have another go at mini crochet and knitting, especially as a little extra of the folding stuff is useful. I doubt it would be anything completely mad, a tablecloth or wedding outfit for instance. Having said that I did make a start on a wedding outfit about four years ago, the then editor of Dolls House & Miniature Scene said she wanted to see it before deciding if she wanted to publish the thing. Ha, like I was going to spend 200+ hours working on something she might decide she didn't want, I should be so daft.

Roz

Muffintop
22-11-2013, 06:54 AM
Hey Muffin I kneel at the feet of cardmakers. After all these years I'm only just getting past the pick n stick stage!

Actually Suban, I kneel at cardmakers too as I never seem to get above the pick and stick stage myself. My long-term goal is improve my rubber stamping in 2014.

(Actualy kneeling is metaphorical (hope that's the correct term...) as I am now at the age where I can get down on my knees but getting up is another matter...)

:109:

suban
22-11-2013, 05:30 PM
If I kneel down I see what else I can do as I crawl around!

RozMinis
22-11-2013, 06:49 PM
It's the getting up that floors me too! :(

Roz

Chalet School Fan
22-11-2013, 07:02 PM
I did my sleep out for Crisis last night. Don't mind sleeping on my office floor with the door opening onto the car park wide open - even if it is a bit chilly. It's getting up out of my sleeping bag in the morning that I struggle with!

suban
23-11-2013, 04:21 AM
I struggle to get out of bed, never mind a sleeping bag - was the weather kinder than last year? Me in a sleeping bag looks more like a jumbo caterpillar trying to turn into a pupae!

Chalet School Fan
23-11-2013, 07:59 AM
It was so cold that we had to put the kids into the sports hall at 1am. They complained it was cold in there, but when I walked over at 5.30 to check all was OK it was much warmer in there than outside. At least they didn't get wet, like last year!

suban
24-11-2013, 05:51 AM
I hope your efforts raised much needed funds for Crisis!

RozMinis
24-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Shudder, horrible thought sleeping outside. My thumb is painful enough at the moment, I reckon if I had to sleep outside, even in the middle of summer, it would probably drop off.

Hope you raised lots of money for all your efforts.

Roz