PDA

View Full Version : Choice of paints?

Clairella
08-04-2014, 10:52 PM
Have decided to purchase some paints.....watched Indigo Blue's acrylic, Paperartsy's acrylic and Creative Expressions new chalk paints being demonstrated. Does anyone have any opinions? I realy don't know which one's to go for.....
Thanksee if u can help. Any advice muchly appreciated. I am going to Ali Pali on Saturday and will have all 3 to choose from......
.......:mysmilie_504::mysmilie_504::

Jacksmissis
09-04-2014, 08:43 AM
ooh decisions, decisions!! I don't paint but my Dad used to and when he died, my sister and I had a whole wardrobe of painting stuff to find homes for. He did use all mediums ie, pastels/oils/acrylics and I seem to remember him saying Acrylics were hard work to use...sorry I cant elaborate and I could be wrong but maybe if someone on here sees this they'll put you straight, especially if you're just starting off, with type and make. Sometimes we have to try different brands to what works for personal preference.

Phree
09-04-2014, 10:49 AM
As far as I can see both the indigo blu and creative expressions are chalky/matt finish acrylics and IMO they are each probably as good as the other. Not familiar with the PaperArtsy ones. However, you have not said what you want to DO with any paints you buy.... what you buy really depends on what you plan to do with them. If you want to create textures and backgrounds etc Acrylics may be a good choice, but is that what you them for? Water colour paints can do many things too and are probably better for some things. so that why any advice needs to be based on what you hope to do with the paints you buy.

wonky doodle
09-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Hi, Here is my take on Acrylics, DecoArt do an Americana range which were designed for decorative/barge type painting, but do not dry chalky like most acrylics, the chalky effect is a real turn off for me, but depends on what you intend doing. It is worth noting that you can add water to acrylic paint to create background or just thin the paint a little, and this also slows down the drying time [a little] have never got to grips with watercolour. too fiddly for me. but enjoy using water soluble oils [Miamara] no smell and beautiful finish, these are the best in my opinion, good luck whatever you decide, xx

Mitzi
09-04-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm strongly tempted by the PaperArtsy range as they do both opaque and semi-transparent paints and now also some crackle medium type stuff but I'm not an artist and would probably never use them, so haven't bought them. As they're called "Fresco Finish" I imagine they will have the slightly chalky look so, as wonky doodle says, if you don't want that look, they might not be for you.

I have a rare free weekend in London coming up - what's on at Ally Pally and where can I get cheap tickets? (Yes, I know I'm supposed to be gardening...)

Clairella
09-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Thank u all so much for yr advice....I want to use them for backgrounds, through stencils on cards, mdf etc. Just as a change from always using distress inks! I like the sound of the DecoArt....will take a look, thank u wonky doodle. Also like the idea that some of the Paperartsy paints are semi-transparent to go over stamped images......decisions, decisions....
:mysmilie_1:

Big Stamping and Scrapbooking Show on at Ali Pali Mitzi. Got my ticket with a coach deal. I only went for the first time last April. Realy enjoyed it so going back. Lots of stands..PaperArtsy, Barbara Grey, IndigoBlu, Creative expressions + loads more that I can't remember....Various demonstrations, last year watched Sam Poole. If u decide to go hope u enjoy. Be prepared for a serious dent in yr bank balance :happy:

Julie
09-04-2014, 09:57 PM
TBH if I was looking to buy acrylic paints I would go with the big established artists brands, they are what professionals use. Tried and tested over decades.

I am not a huge fan when craft companies try to re invent the wheel and either formulate their own or perhaps have well known brands just re branded for themselves.

I would check out Cowling and Wilcox and see what they have to offer.

Phree
09-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Yeh, what Julie said re established paint manufacturers vs craft companies! Also I have my suspicions that the reason professional artists paints are sold in tubes rather than those small squeezy "miniature" washing up liquid" style of bottles maybe to do do with extending the life of the paint after the container has been opened for the first time. Seems to me there is minimum space for air in a squeezed tube vs lots of space for air in a bottle that springs back into shape after squeezing some paint out and so the bottled paint would dry out faster?. Dunno if I'm right on this...... maybe I am just being a little cynical... but someone else on the forum may be able to say if my suspicions are valid or not.