PDA

View Full Version : Pricking Wheel - could it be used for paper piercing?

sasprilla
19-04-2014, 10:49 PM
I love the look of pierced paper borders on Sue Wilson's cards but don't like doing the actual piercing! I was wondering if anyone had used a pricking wheel to make the borders?

suban
20-04-2014, 04:53 AM
No, but that sounds a great idea!!! Try it and let us know if it works, please.

glynisrose
20-04-2014, 11:16 AM
It would work for a while but paper blunts anything sharp after a while, plus if you were doing a straight line, say, its a lot harder to control.

Craftysusan
20-04-2014, 03:20 PM
A little while ago we asked Simon from Tonic Studios if he could produce something for making border holes a la SUE Wilson and he did sound interested. I know these things take time but I hope he is still thinking about it.

RozMinis
20-04-2014, 05:34 PM
I have a pricking thingie I bought from Dot. It is made by We Are Memory Keepers. The wheels are interchangeable, cost round about three to four pounds each if I remember correctly. The tool itself was about £7. The wheels are made from plastic, so I wouldn't like to say how long they will last.

It certainly isn't easy to move the thing in a straight line, virtually impossible I have found. Not madly impressed to be honest, much prefer using the ruler I bought from somewhere or other, Joanna Sheen perhaps, that has holes in it. Best of all though is the time spent on the prick & stitch cards. I have loads of patterns I have bought on t'Inernet. :)

Roz

glynisrose
20-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Try using your ruler upside down, there is usually a bevel on one side that gives you the clearance needed to run the Piercing wheel along it. I use a flexible curve upside down for pricking patterns out of paper with my piercing wheel, (its actually a signwriting tool that I have had for many years now)

sasprilla
21-04-2014, 08:43 AM
The idea came to me when I saw a leather pricking wheel on ebay. Can't remember what I was searching for & it came up. I'm looking for a tool that does 8 holes per inch for a reasonable price then I might buy it & give it a go.

I'm really bad bad at using the Tum Holtz ruler. Unfortunately my fingers go numb when I hold something so always looking for easy alternatives'

FifiMo
21-04-2014, 09:40 AM
Sorry you have problems using the ruler method. Would something like this work? I have not tried it but it may be the answer you are looking for. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Precise-Pointed-Needle-Pointed-Tracing-Pattern/dp/B006YZRC56/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1398072927&sr=8-4&keywords=sewing+tracing+wheel

Fiona

RozMinis
21-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Must admit I too struggle when it comes to holding a ruler, probably something to do with the problems I have with knives and stuff in my right hand.

I have a parchment wheel similar to that tool Fiona. Haven't used it for ages, never tried it on anything other than parchment paper.

The tool I bought is called We R Memory Keepers Sew Easy Stitching Tool D. Crafters Companion sell it, but it is out of stock at the moment.

Roz

Mitzi
22-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Is this it, Roz?

http://www.qvcuk.com/We-R-Memory-Keepers-Sew-Easy-Tool-with-4-Heads-and-4-Thread-Packs.product.590213.html?refType=UPSELL-X-SELL&refNumber=500718&sc=590213-DTLR&cm_sp=UPSELL-_-IO_ProdDetail-_-2&relType=IO&refLocation=2

RozMinis
23-04-2014, 06:41 PM
Yup, that's the one chuck. ;)

Roz

auntie
23-04-2014, 09:41 PM
That thing on QVC is rubbish , read the reviews , I got it and sent it back

RozMinis
24-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Not too impressed with it myself. However, I didn't buy the thing - it was sold to me! Honestly Dot could sell me grass, I'm sure she could.

Roz

glynisrose
24-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Mine is old and made of solid brass..... However this means that when it goes blunt I probably won't get the replacement wheels for it....