PDA

View Full Version : TH Distress Inks Help

Wellington
26-03-2009, 01:38 PM
To use the bleedin obvious here - these inks are leaving me very distressed :D

I've decided to treat myself to some distress inks with my birthday money, & maybe possibly one distress EP...But which ones?

I know I want, nay need, Dusty Concord & Faded Jeans (but that seems to be mostly OOS) - anyone got a recommendation for say their 2 indispensable TH distress inks...I was wondering towards maybe one of the 'brown' tone colours, but not too dark IYSWIM - maybe Tea Dye or Old Paper? I think Vintage Photo or Walnut Stain might be too dark...I already have the sepia VersaFine pad, so I'm not to fussed about a brown pad for stamping images, I was thinking more of something for direct to paper effects

And for a splash of colour maybe Peeled Paint. And Tattered Rose is calling to me...

Phree
26-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Aged Mahogany is a wonderful colour Welly, um but so is Spiced Marmalade .... or Fired Brick - sorry I could go on. Old paper does pretty much what the name says - if you blend it onto brilliant white card it ends up looking a sorta slightly grubby ivory colour - exactly the colour of pages in old books.

If it would help I can send you a colour swatch of most of the Distress Inks, I don't quite own all of them but I have most of them.

kookietiger
26-03-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm sorry, I will be of absolutely no help here, the distress inks are soo gorgous & versatile you will have to have them all!
I started with a set of 4 from C&C - the brights option - then had to go back for the rest, once I had all C&C had to offer I started getting them from Graphicus. I haven't got the complete collection yet but I'm working on it :D

The first distress EP I got was the black one, it looks fantastic with a coloured ink underneath such as fried brick or faded jeans and you will never get the same distress effect twice.

Be prepared for a new addiction tho :eek:

Wellington
26-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Aged Mahogany is a wonderful colour

It does look quite nice...maybe still a little darker than I was thinking...Fired Brick might be fun...

I'm sorry, I will be of absolutely no help here, the distress inks are soo gorgous & versatile you will have to have them all!
I started with a set of 4 from C&C - the brights option - then had to go back for the rest, once I had all C&C had to offer I started getting them from Graphicus. I haven't got the complete collection yet but I'm working on it

The first distress EP I got was the black one, it looks fantastic with a coloured ink underneath such as fried brick or faded jeans and you will never get the same distress effect twice.

Be prepared for a new addiction tho :eek:

LOL Kookie - I'm prepared to want more, I've been lusting for them for yonkers, I'm just looking for a jumping on point as it were :) I'm of very limited funds, so I have to choose carefully. I've tried a quick search on C&C this afternoon for a price comparison but either they've hidden them (after all it's not so unusual to search in vain on that site) or they no longer have any in stock - unless you happen to handily know the item numbers :D

Thanks for the tip about the black EP - that's the one I was thinking was the most obvious to try first.

I'm not particularly into the distress looked as such, but those inks just look yummy - & then when I saw TH on QVC the other week I fell for the EPs too :rolleyes:

Phree
26-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Welly, read your pm's. As for the distressed look - you can do a hell of a lot more than just "distressed" with these inks so don't be fooled by the name or the individual colour names given to each one. Aged Mahogany is actually a wonderful rich sort of burgandy colour - nuffin distressed looking about it unless you want it to be. Likewise Spiced Marmaled is a firey and vibrant Orange. Broken China is a wonderful deep water greeny blue, and Mustard Seed is a vibrant rich yellow, I could go on lol but I won't bore ya.

Wellington
26-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Welly, read your pm's. As for the distressed look - you can do a hell of a lot more than just "distressed" with these inks so don't be fooled by the name

Oh I know, that's kinda what I meant, I just managed to make it sound as clear as mud LOL I don't particularly want these inks for a distressed look , cos I'm not much into it - although I'll poss give it a go if I get an EP - I just wanna play :D

And thanks for the PMs BTW :D

anna_fran
26-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Mustard seed, which Phree has mentioned is a great colour. When I saw TH demonstrate a couple of years ago he was using it on every sample! When he'd finished putting other colours on he'd go over the top of them with MS and continue blending it into the middle. It really lifted and brightened the whole image. Also love Broken China, Aged Mahogany and Spiced Marmalade. OH let's face it, I love them all. I keep a list of the ones I have on my phone now, so if I'm shopping and decide to slip a new one in my basket (real or virtual) so I don't duplicate!:rolleyes:

kookietiger
26-03-2009, 03:59 PM
LOL Kookie - I'm prepared to want more, I've been lusting for them for yonkers, I'm just looking for a jumping on point as it were, I'm of very limited funds, so I have to choose carefully. I've tried a quick search on C&C this afternoon for a price comparison but either they've hidden them (after all it's not so unusual to search in vain on that site) or they no longer have any in stock - unless you happen to handily know the item numbers :D

Thanks for the tip about the black EP - that's the one I was thinking was the most obvious to try first.

I'm not particularly into the distress looked as such, but those inks just look yummy - & then when I saw TH on QVC the other week I fell for the EPs too :rolleyes:

I've just checked my email statements from c&c but not one of them has the item number! looks like they haven't got them in stock at the mo. If you look out for the Stampman shows they'r one of the items on there - it was the Japanese Garden show I think and they were £19.99
C&C's prob not the cheapest place to buy from but I got 10% club discount & it was free p&p at the time (what happened to that??) so it worked out at £17.99 delivered :D
I'm certain that whichever colour you choose to start with, it won't be long before you're buying more ;)

sugarplum
26-03-2009, 05:48 PM
damm wellie, you should have asked last week as the stampman have had 20% off everything on their site including distress ink pads Unfortunately it ended on Saturday

kookietiger
26-03-2009, 05:58 PM
damm wellie, you should have asked last week as the stampman have had 20% off everything on their site including distress ink pads Unfortunately it ended on Saturday

O poo! I missed this as well :(
It's probably just as well tho, need to save a few pennies for other stuff like the mortgage, elec, food ....... :D

kookietiger
26-03-2009, 11:35 PM
LOL Kookie - I'm prepared to want more, I've been lusting for them for yonkers, I'm just looking for a jumping on point as it were, I'm of very limited funds, so I have to choose carefully. I've tried a quick search on C&C this afternoon for a price comparison but either they've hidden them (after all it's not so unusual to search in vain on that site) or they no longer have any in stock - unless you happen to handily know the item numbers :D

Hi Welly, just found the set of 4 distress pads on C&C website, they don't make it easy do they :confused:
Theyr on the stampman japanese garden show to be aired 7am on Sunday.
item number 138105
link - http://www.createandcraft.tv/Set_of_Four_Distress_Ink_Pads_by_Tim_Holtz_138105. aspx?

it says theyr available from 29th March at 7am - 31st March at 7.56am
If only their customer service was as precise :D

HTH

Mothership
27-03-2009, 11:22 AM
I was gonna recommend my local stamping shop but then found these http://www.janeymays.co.uk/ranger-38-c.asp £4.35 and free pp over £20 which is about the best price I've seen them at off of ebay.

Blade Rubber has a great article here http://www.bladerubberstamps.co.uk/site/how_to_use_distress_inks.php which outlines some their uses.

It would be hard to say which colours I would opt for as a first buy, it would really depend on what you wanted to use them for. I started to make list but found it just impossible to place one over another, not much help there then!

Wellington
27-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi Welly, just found the set of 4 distress pads on C&C website, they don't make it easy do they
Theyr on the stampman japanese garden show to be aired 7am on Sunday.
item number 138105
link - http://www.createandcraft.tv/Set_of_Four_Distress_Ink_Pads_by_Tim_Holtz_138105. aspx?

it says theyr available from 29th March at 7am - 31st March at 7.56am
If only their customer service was as precise

HTH

Ta - I decided I couldn't wait another 24hrs to order LOL And then there's the p&p & their not particularly quick delivery too. I'm think it's a bit nawty of C&C to do that restricted buying thing on a pre-record, just cos it's over the craft weekend :mad:

I was gonna recommend my local stamping shop but then found these http://www.janeymays.co.uk/ranger-38-c.asp £4.35 and free pp over £20 which is about the best price I've seen them at off of ebay.

Blade Rubber has a great article here http://www.bladerubberstamps.co.uk/site/how_to_use_distress_inks.php which outlines some their uses.

It would be hard to say which colours I would opt for as a first buy, it would really depend on what you wanted to use them for. I started to make list but found it just impossible to place one over another, not much help there then!

Ooo - thanks for all that lovely info Mothership. I've got the Blade site in my faves cos they have all that info on inks but haven't browsed there for a while. And now I wish I'd been on here before I placed my order this morning :rolleyes: I have now bookmarked JaneyMays & may have to take advantage of those fab prices some time

This morning after much umm-ing & ahh-ing I ordered Dusty Concord, Tea Dye & Worn Lipstick. If the sites I was using (One Stop & Calico) had had Faded Jeans I would have had that instead of Worn Lippy - but I see Janey Mays has Faded Jeans...;)

Now all I have to do is save up for Faded Jeans, Peeled Paint, Aged Mahogany...and...and...