PDA

View Full Version : Novice here, advice please.

Julie
09-05-2014, 08:38 PM
I am trying to make an embroidered pin cushion and lost the instructions ages ago. I am a complete novice.

I am about to do some leaves in what I think is silk stitch, do I do the outline of the leaves in back stitch before or after I fill in with silk stitch ?

Many thanks !

Waterlily
09-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Hi Julie

I don't do any embroidery now but I'm pretty sure you should do the outside first and then fill it in. I'll have a look in one of my embroidery books tomorrow to see if I can find anything.

Waterlily
09-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Hi Julie

Me again lol. Just been thinking about it and wonder if you need to outline it? Can't find the book I'm looking for at the moment but will have a good look tomorrow.

Julie
10-05-2014, 02:11 AM
Thanks Pam, I do have a picture how the finished item is meant to look and there is an outline of stitches round the edge of the leaves. In my head I am thinking do you outline first so then you have a very snug line to sew up to, or do you do the long silk stitches first so you can sort of neaten up your edges with back stitch.

Will probably end up as a dogs dinner whatever I decide to do !

Little Jan
10-05-2014, 08:14 AM
:mysmilie_7:
I used to do embroidery yonkers ago
always did the outside first as per instructions
saying that they looked like I had just thrown the threads in the air and let them land on the fabric:blush:

Chalet School Fan
10-05-2014, 09:04 AM
If I remember correctly, I used to do an outline, but merged the silk stitch into the outline so that it had a defined edge, but not too harsh. Hope that makes sense!

RozMinis
10-05-2014, 06:41 PM
I've not heard of silk stitch. Do you mean satin stitch? If so then it is up to you if you want to work an outline or not. I personally like to use an outline stitch, usually split stitch in my case, as it gives a nice solid line to follow,. You work the outline stitch before working the satin stitch, than work over the top of the outline stitch so as to hide it. It helps to give a nice padded effect to the stitching.

There is no need to use an outline stitch if you don't want to, and I wouldn't use it in crewel work.

Speaking of crewel work. Did anybody watch the show on C & C this afternoon? Some lovely goodies, but I sat on my hands as I have a kit, plus the materials for another four pictures. Still don't see the point of having a very expensive shawl on the show though, even if it is silk with hand rolled edges.

Roz

Julie
10-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Thanks for your suggestions girls, think I must have made up silk stitch :giggle:

Chalet School Fan
10-05-2014, 09:42 PM
I thought that you meant silk shading - which is a form of satin stitch, but with different length stitches to allow one shade of a colour to gradually blend into the next. At least that is what I learned during a course on ecclesiastical embroidery at the Royal School of Needlework.

Waterlily
10-05-2014, 09:43 PM
lol Julie, I thought you meant satin stitch.