PDA

View Full Version : Fiskars Stamp Press - advice please

Deefersmum
23-05-2014, 07:35 AM
I want to buy one of these presses but have noticed that some have a clear plate and others seem to be white. I wondered whether the white colour is just part of the packaging, or if that is the true colour? I thought the idea was for you to be able to see where you are stamping, other to using the grid to place stamps correctly?

pyjama princess
23-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Mine has a clear plate Deefers but I've had it ages so I don't know if it now comes with a white one. As you say that appears to defeat the idea of it. Perhaps white is used just to photograph it.

elvie
23-05-2014, 09:08 AM
Mine is clear too, great tool :sun:

Jacksmissis
23-05-2014, 09:28 AM
(Daren't ask really - BUT, what is it for...............please??)

Deefersmum
23-05-2014, 11:07 AM
You use it to place stamps JM - it is basically a clear perspex plate with a grid and a foot on each corner. You use the grid to get your cling stamp straight etc., and then you place the press over your work and only press down when you are happy that your image is in the right place. It looks like this and, from this image, you can see what I mean about it looking white.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Fiskars-342535-Fiskars-Compact-Stamp-Press-8-25-in-X-6-25-in-/00/s/NjUwWDY1MA==/z/DrgAAOxywh1TAORn/$_35.JPG

holliecraft
23-05-2014, 11:18 AM
Had mine for about a year and it has a clear plate. Wouldn't be any use to me if it was white. I bought it online at a cost of £9.99 and was a little put out when it arrived to find that it was just 4 sponge pads and a piece of plastic. However, I think that it is one of my most useful tools and prevents me from making mistakes when positioning stamps - especially text. It's bit like a low tech version of the Craft Dragon!!!

my blog (http://www.creativityoutlet.blogspot.co.uk/)

Mitzi
23-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Didn't some clever soul on here use the lid of a chinese takeaway box to the same effect? The ones from my local Chinese don't seem suitable because the lip isn't pronounced enough to stop it stamping straight away. I suppose I could put try foam pads on it...

Deefersmum
23-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Didn't some clever soul on here use the lid of a chinese takeaway box to the same effect? The ones from my local Chinese don't seem suitable because the lip isn't pronounced enough to stop it stamping straight away. I suppose I could put try foam pads on it...

Great minds think alike! I was going to try and make one using a Sizzix cutting plate with sponge or foam pads on the sides, but I wasn't sure how to do the grid. I wondered if it would work with one of the pens you use to write on CDs etc?

Mitzi
23-05-2014, 12:48 PM
They tend to be quite thick, don't they? A permanent marker fineliner would be better if you have such a thing. Do you think you really need the grid?

Deefersmum
23-05-2014, 04:08 PM
They tend to be quite thick, don't they? A permanent marker fineliner would be better if you have such a thing. Do you think you really need the grid?

I just thought the lines would be handy to line up word and border stamps etc., as when they are the clear stamps they can go a bit wobbly (somewhat like me:mysmilie_17:).

Jacksmissis
23-05-2014, 06:01 PM
aah! now I seeeeeeeeeeeeee, I think the plate will be clear Deefy, I think they've probably just got the white paper on so the grid shows up so peeps can see it. Yes, someone on here was house sitting for a delivery and they had to improvise with the lid as their stuff was at home - I seem to think it was it Jammy or Jube? Haven't tried it myself 'cos I don't do much stamping but I can see its a good. idea

RozMinis
23-05-2014, 06:04 PM
last week I was wondering if the plates from my cuddlybug would do the same job. This was after seeing the Letterpress thingie from WAMK. Haven't got around to trying it out yet. I was mainly thinking about the longer dies that I have, those that refuse to fit onto the stamp thingies I already have. Wondering was as far as I got though, never did follow the idea up. ;)

Roz

holliecraft
23-05-2014, 10:07 PM
I've just looked at the sponge feet on my one and they are similar to those stoppers you get in the top of pill bottles! They need to spring back in shape after using the press so suppose a toiletry sponge would do the same job. Good idea Deefersmum about using a Sizzix cutting plate and Rozmini's suggestion of a Cuttlebug plate.

my blog (http://www.creativityoutlet.blogspot.co.uk/)