PDA

View Full Version : Getting inspiration for crafting?

Marie
30-03-2009, 11:35 PM
I know this section is for showing things we've made earlier, but I didn't know where else to start a thread asking where people get inspiration from. Today I've had 2 really good inspirations from things other people have made and they really gave my creativity a boost :)

First was how to place some flower embellishments on a card, then I saw Leonie demo'ing on QVC this afternoon and one of her examples gave me the idea I needed. Then I sat down and looked at my Graphicus Guild newsletter and saw a couple of beautiful cards made using various stamps and embossing. Now I don't have all of the stamps used in the examples, but I do have other Graphicus stamps that I can use and plenty of embossing powder and a Versamark pad and a heat gun. So this weekend, I'm going to sit down and have a go at something similar.

I realised also how much I've learnt in the past few months, not practically, but about the tools and materials. I was actually able to understand the instructions in the Guild newsletter and I know that I can have a go at some of the techniques. Even three months ago, I used to read those instructions and think that they were written in Chinese! :o

So I'm quite chuffed that I've collected some decent stash and a bit more knowledge over the past few months and feel a bit inspired to have a go at something new! Today was a bit like reading a book with the light switched on for the first time! So I was wondering if anyone else has been similarly inspired by a particular TV demo, or reading a magazine, or anything else? :D

kookietiger
31-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Great post Marie, I like hearing where people get their idea's from too, & well done on your achievements, I've been crafting for many years & can honestly say I have never stop learning & I hope I never do :D

I'm always surprised when inspiration strikes, especially from an unexpected source - I recently made a card after watching my son doing his art homework! Like many others, I suspect, I have also taken a great deal of inspiration from crafters such as Glenda, Sheena, Tim Holtz & of course all the talented ladies & gents on this forum :D My very 1st "grown up" stamps were Glenda's coi themeplate, I had to have them after seeing her on C&C with Alan & Barry & the large coi carp is still one of my favourites.

If I'm a bit stuck I often turn to YouTube for idea's - that's when the kids have finished watching funny cats (theyr addicted to the "long johnson" talking cat!) There's tons of demo's on there showing every stamp, tool & technique you could possibly imagine :D

When I started serious crafting I subscribed to a few magazines but TBH after a while I found them a bit basic & very repetitive - I have high hopes of Craft Stamper tho after hearing it recommended on this & other forums (can't believe I missed it for so long!)

I'm so happy you've found your crafting mojo & don't forget to post pics of your creations!

sugarplum
31-03-2009, 07:14 AM
I just subscribed to craft stamper (with large rock a blocks and a flower fairy plate as the girft) I like to look at blogs and often look up you tube for techniques. Webisodes provide inspiration too. Often it isnt the specific technique or style it inspires me to do just generally gets the juices flowing!. The only downside can be that you sometimes feel a bit not worthy after seeing just how wonderfully creative some people are but I try to see it as a challenge to improve.
I spend far too much time on forums though talking about crafting rather than actually doing it but I enjoy that side of it too Talking to like minded people about something I love to do

Jeanette
31-03-2009, 03:08 PM
My main source of inspiration is other peoples blogs!!

Phree
31-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Well I recently got inspired to make Julie's birthday card because of the discussion on a thread about "Shirley Poppys". It made me look them up in wikipedia and they sounded so pretty in the description I read there that I decided to try to paint the poppy stamp I have too look like Shirley Poppys!

And if you want a really shame-faced admission about where the inspiration for a card came from - how about if I own up to being inspired by a sack of Tesco's Barbecue Charcoal!!!

Think I am kidding? Well take a look at this :

http://inkstainsurvivor.blogspot.com/2009/03/red-sky-at-night.html

Then next time you are in your local Tesco take a look at the packaging on their barbecue charcoal ;)

Marie
31-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Well I recently got inspired to make Julie's birthday card because of the discussion on a thread about "Shirley Poppys". It made me look them up in wikipedia and they sounded so pretty in the description I read there that I decided to try to paint the poppy stamp I have too look like Shirley Poppys!

And if you want a really shame-faced admission about where the inspiration for a card came from - how about if I own up to being inspired by a sack of Tesco's Barbecue Charcoal!!!

Think I am kidding? Well take a look at this :

http://inkstainsurvivor.blogspot.com/2009/03/red-sky-at-night.html

Then next time you are in your local Tesco take a look at the packaging on their barbecue charcoal ;)

Gorgeous card Phree, must have been a good sack of charcoal! :)

fabyon
31-03-2009, 09:01 PM
I get my inspiration by looking at card making books (although I forget everything I read a few days later), magazines, blogs, looking at tutorials on YouTube and the samples they show on QVC and IW. It's amazing how amongst the blogs someone will start something and everybody else will pick on that, that's really cool ! I have moments where I think I'm doing too much on a card or not enough so I'm never happy. But one thing I do know is that odd numbers are easier on the eyes so always count to 3, 5 or 7 with your embellishments. I've learnt this odd number tip from a HOTP CD tutorial about scrapbooking.

Julie
31-03-2009, 09:17 PM
But one thing I do know is that odd numbers are easier on the eyes so always count to 3, 5 or 7 with your embellishments. I've learnt this odd number tip from a HOTP CD tutorial about scrapbooking.

Top tip Fab, the human eye naturally looks for symmetry and unless your evenly numbered embellishments are correct to the nearest mm, the eye picks it up and the effect is ruined. It is the same in all types of design, from cake making to card making.

Phree
31-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Gorgeous card Phree, must have been a good sack of charcoal! :)

LOL, actually it wasn't a "good-un" Marie, it was sitting in the back warehouse for WEEKS after I got back from my summer holidays last year - the reason it had been dumped there was because it's packaging was kinda tattered and torn - or at least am guessing that was why it was there. Anyhow I found myself passing it several times a night every night for weeks on my way in and out of the chill and it kept reminding me how I wanted to try to create a "sunset effect" for a card and showing me how to get the colours to work.

Jeanette
01-04-2009, 05:38 AM
WOW, stunning card Phree

alisonrachel
01-04-2009, 06:24 AM
I find inspiration from a site where they have competitions using a sketch - http://sketchsaturday.blogspot.com/. I have been crafting for years but only recently started looking at blogs etc after finding this site and following some of the members links to their blogs. So in fact I have gained inspiration from this forum too. Anyway the sketches help me set up a card - although I haven't had the guts to enter a competition yet. So little time especially when the kids take up most of it!;)

lovetoshop
14-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Is that your entry on there now ali? cause if it is, its a lovely card!! I have only started looking at blogs too, for about the last year or so, its amazing what you can learn isn't it?

victoria x