PDA

View Full Version : Wedding stationery advice needed

Mitzi
15-08-2014, 12:54 PM
What does anyone think about the Craftwork Cards Vogue range for wedding stationery? It's a bit sombre, maybe, but I do love the art deco with flowers and peacocks. Not sure exactly how I would use it but I'm so tempted. I'd welcome all opinions, including negative ones.

It looks best on black or Kraft card imho; I don't normally like kraft but black is a bit too funereal, isn't it?

Some cards etc. made with it:

http://www.pinterest.com/craftworkcards/vogue/

Deefersmum
15-08-2014, 03:35 PM
I think it looks really elegant - sort of Art Deco.

pyjama princess
15-08-2014, 03:41 PM
I'm afraid I'm going to be negative Mitzi! I don't like it at all - far to dark for me.

Mitzi
15-08-2014, 03:47 PM
I'd rather you be absolutely honest, PP, because I love it but I want to know what some of the recipients' views might be, and it's very likely that they will be the same as yours.

I'd probably bling it up with some gold, if that helps at all.

Summer
15-08-2014, 04:39 PM
I like the range itself, but not too keen on the black and craft base cards. I much prefer the samples made with white base cards as I think the white lifts it more.

FifiMo
15-08-2014, 05:22 PM
I would start with agreeing that the theme is what you want. Then I would look for the best products to achieve what YOU want. For example, Sue wilson has some stunning embossing folders - eg the Art Deco one or the tumbling hearts if for a wedding. Stampin' Up have a gorgeous large peacock stamp which I have seen stamped in versamark and heat embossed and the tail covered in tiny rhinestones - this would get you your theme without being restricted to the dark colours. So, if that is what you want then it can be done.

Fiona

FifiMo
15-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Here is the stampin' up version of the peacock http://www.pinterest.com/michelerey/perfect-peacock/

Mitzi
15-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Thanks, FifiMo. I do already have a few stamps and embossing folders with Art Deco or Peacock designs. Does that mean that you agree with Pyjama Princess that the Vogue collection is a bit dark for wedding stationery? The wedding itself is going to be fairly small and informal so a theme which suggests splendour and glamour (art deco and peacocks) is probably completely inappropriate anyway.

Craftysusan
15-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Hi Mitzi. The vogue collection is very nice but not to my taste either for a wedding. I am more a traditional kind of gal. I do like Fiona's idea and looking at the internet Peacocks do seem to have a very positive symbolic meaning so I can understand why you would like to use it. Is it best to check with the bride and groom first as to their tastes? Maybe make a couple of samples for them to choose from.

Mitzi
15-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Hi Mitzi. The vogue collection is very nice but not to my taste either for a wedding. I am more a traditional kind of gal. I do like Fiona's idea and looking at the internet Peacocks do seem to have a very positive symbolic meaning so I can understand why you would like to use it. Is it best to check with the bride and groom first as to their tastes? Maybe make a couple of samples for them to choose from.

I'm the bride!

pyjama princess
15-08-2014, 07:19 PM
............ Is it best to check with the bride .......

This made me smile as I guessed................

I'm the bride!

LOL!

pyjama princess
15-08-2014, 07:21 PM
......looking at the internet Peacocks do seem to have a very positive symbolic meaning.....

Now that surprises me. My late MIL wouldn't have anything to do with peacocks, especially feathers, in her house as she insisted it was very bad luck. But she was always getting things round the wrong way so perhaps this was one of them.

Dips
15-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Mitzi, I think the design is lovely and as an experienced crafter, you will be able to make the most of the designs. More importantly, these are your wedding invitations, do not worry what anyone else will or won't like, it's not their wedding, it's yours! As an aside, when I ran my wedding stationery business, designs with a black background were in my top 3 selling ranges - particularly for smaller, "more sophisticated" weddings. I also think the Vogue range would work with a soft, old-gold Stardream backing card (Sue Wilson uses that card a lot).

Proops
15-08-2014, 08:27 PM
First of all Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding. I'm really sorry but they're not my cup of tea but as you are the bride it's entirely YOUR choice, so if you like dark and sombre go for it!! As someone else mentioned, peacocks are considered extremely unlucky by a lot of folks, so be warned you might get comments about that. Whatever you decide good luck and please let us see what you create.

Waterlily
15-08-2014, 08:43 PM
The collection is lovely but not to my taste either for a wedding, I'm more traditional too. I love silver and white. It's your choice though Mitzi and like others have said if it's what you like go for it.

Good luck on all the preparations.

Little Jan
15-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Now that surprises me. My late MIL wouldn't have anything to do with peacocks, especially feathers, in her house as she insisted it was very bad luck. But she was always getting things round the wrong way so perhaps this was one of them.

No she did not get it wrong it is supposed to bring bad luck to bring peacock feathers into the house.my mum and my aunts and her mum also said the same

Little Jan
15-08-2014, 08:58 PM
I also like the design but feel its a bit too dark but it is your choice

Deefersmum
16-08-2014, 06:51 AM

As I understand it some faiths believe that they invite the wrong kind of spirits into your house.

Deefersmum
16-08-2014, 06:53 AM
I'm the bride!

That says it all really - the day is yours (and future hubby's) so do what you like. Whatever you do, you will never 'please' everyone so go with your heart.

Craftysusan
16-08-2014, 07:26 AM
Hi Mitzi, oops sorry I didn't realise. Many congratulations and hope you have a fantastic day. As the others have said it is your day and therefore your choice and whatever you make I am sure will be lovely. As for Peacocks I looked up symbolic meanings of peacocks and it came up with the following: glory, immortality, royalty, spirituality, awakening, refinement, vision, protection and incorruptibility. The internet does say that there is a superstition about bringing the feathers into the house or into a theatre but that is different to using the peacock in a symbolic sense. Just don't have a feather in your bouquet! Would love to see a sample of your invite once you have done them.

Summer
16-08-2014, 07:40 AM
I'm the bride!

Congratulations Mitzy, that so exciting. Hope you have a fantastic day. Good luck with the planning and enjoy it.

Nb As for the stationery, you will know what's right for you and your hubby to be.