PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for our beloved paper items

fabyon
31-03-2009, 11:38 PM
My friend Gianfranco who works in Brussel at the EU commission sent me a snippet of news for a new piece of legislation that will become law in Europe in the next few weeks, apparently all the member states have to comply.

Basically some bright spark have decided to tax any products derived from wood and wood pulp......yep you've guessed it paper too. Obviously it's all about the reducing of our carbon footprint. Now the tax oddly enough is left to the members state to decide but Swedish MEP who's pushing the bill forward has already stated that the duty will be around 27.5% for his own country.

Now don't blame him as this proposal was put forward by the ILFO which stands for Importation of Lignin From Overseas (You know when they say how the paper should be lignin free etc.. but wood pulp and byproduct are known as lignin)

You can check it out at the European Commission website:

http://ec.europa.eu/index_en.htm

You have to put a search for AP2009R ILFO (annex 0, paragraph L)

Very sad day indeed I expect our beloved papers to shoot up in price......

Jeanette
01-04-2009, 05:31 AM
ha ha, nearly got me!!

sheilaj
01-04-2009, 06:48 AM
shame its not true....with the stash mountain I have I could have made my fortune!!

blarf
01-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Nice one Fabs - I was about to check if it's a regulation or a directive. :)

tru-ella
01-04-2009, 07:27 AM
lol, I read it early hours of the morning after work and believed every word of it!

Never checked the link though.

Jeanette
01-04-2009, 08:05 AM
This bit gave it away for me AP2009R ILFO (annex 0, paragraph L) April Fool 2009!!

pyjama princess
01-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Didn't get me either but good try Fab!!!

Phree
01-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Sigh, all that effort for nuffin eh' Fab, how long did it take us to work out what ILFO could stand for? And some sharp tacks go and blow it right away - bliddly spoil sports the lot of them :p

Craftyktee
01-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Must admit you got me Fab :o A whopping 27.5% :eek: I love the planet but I love my crafting too; lets hope no one from EU commission reads this post and makes it law ;) LOL!!!

gill71
01-04-2009, 11:02 AM
You got me too!:)

fabyon
01-04-2009, 11:28 AM
It was all good laugh ! LOL

Craftyktee
01-04-2009, 11:58 AM
It was all good laugh ! LOL

Not!!! I was so upset at the thought of it :eek: Funny though Fab...

Mistyblue
01-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Nice one Fab, must admit you got me as well :D

Though I did think that it would be a great excuse to go & buy up loads of goodies before the taxman struck ;)

lolathelamb
01-04-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm just relieved it isn't a new form of window tax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_tax) as I have rather a lot of papers stashed away...imagine having to declare that lot at a penny a piece - it would turn the economy around though, so don't tell No 11, will you?

Ribbons
02-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Oh god, I believed it and was about to rant on about the EU and the way this country is going etc etc. The thing is its believable - you just never know what petty rules are going to be passed next and it wouldn't surprise me that just one day this won't be a joke.................there I've had a minor rant so thats better:D

lovetoshop
12-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Just wanted to say Fab, i loved this April's Fool!!! I have only just joined and read it just now and didnt look at the date you did it, now im an intelligent woman and im afraid, you got me!!!!!! hahahahaha very good, lookin forward to next year's already!

victoria x