PDA

View Full Version : Neat ideas personalised lap tray

Summer
19-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Has anyone ever bought the Neat Ideas Lap tray that you can unzip and place artwork or photos under the clear top cover. They sell them in Hobbycraft (£15.00) and Amazon. The reviews are a bit mixed quite a few say the clear surface scratches easily - which is not good.

I have the usual problem with buying mens gifts for xmas and I usually give my Nephews money but buy them a present to open. I was thinking about personalising a Laptray for TV dinners/something to put their Laptops on, but am not sure if this tray is any good.

Little Jan
20-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Think that's a lovely idea but I am not an expert but laptops get warm bottoms so anything that is a thin plastic might warp
My daughter used to have her laptop on a melamine tray.
The type that everywhere sells after a while the design bubbled and lifted odd because a hot dinner plate was fine

Craftysusan
20-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Not seen these Summer. Does sound like a great idea though. I know my laptop get really hot underneath, (much hotter than a dinner plate), which is why they don't advise you to put them on your lap.

Little Jan
20-10-2014, 12:49 PM
yep apparently the heat is bad for mens bit's as it can make them infertile,
Not sure how true that is seeing the amount of extremly young mums about,:wonder: but maybe that's because they are using smart phones now, :mysmilie_506:shame the users arn't so smart
only have brains in one place LOL

Back on topic a lap tray would be lovely gift:sun:

Summer
20-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Thanks LJ and CraftySusan, it hadn't occurred to me a laptop could be hotter than a hot dinner. The reviews talked about it scratching easily and a few mentioned heat from hot dinners - which seemed a bit odd to me for a laptray. I only thought my nephews could use it with their laptops as well, as I have used the one I have with my laptop for years without any problems. I guess not all laptray surface are equal (or laptops for that matter!)

I have found another site where there is a general lap tray and a laptop tray - the laptop tray is wider (so a mouse can be used) but as they are nearly double the price of the neat ideas one, I think the surface is better quality and made to withstand the heat of laptops. The problem with this company is you send you image to the company and they somehow manufacture it into the surface.

I liked the idea of creating an image myself in Craft Artist (to give my nephews a bit of a laugh when they opened it!) - but then they could change it themselves later on if they wanted, buy just unzipping the padded bit and replacing the picture (or photos) under the clear cover

Drat! a bit more research required!

RozMinis
20-10-2014, 07:18 PM
My lappy doesn't get a hot botty, wonder why not. Mind you he is a bit big to use on my lap, 17" screen and all that. Well I have to be able to see what I am doing, so a larger screen was what I needed. :)

I do like using a lap tray for other things though, especially sewing with beads. Those naughty little things insist on rolling all over the floor, though I have known them do that even when using my tray. I like the idea of being able to change the picture, can't do that with my tray, had it for years, so the idea hadn't been thought of at the time. come to think of it I'm not even sure I had a computer, let alone a lappy, so that would be pre 1986 (ish).

Roz