PDA

View Full Version : Archival ink pads

Craftysusan
06-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Hi everyone. I have just bought a black archival ink pad and am very impressed with it. I can't seem to find any info on the web as to whether I can use promarkers with it. Can anyone help please? Also would it be suitable to use my twinkling H2Os? I do get very confused over the different ink pads on offer. Many thanks.

clumsycrafter
06-11-2014, 08:38 PM
If you go to Joanna Sheens website on the tutorials section, she has a very useful list of the different inkpads and their compatability with other mediums such as promarkers.
Just had a look and can't see it anymore - but look at the alcohol pens and she has put some tips there.

Craftysusan
06-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Thank you Clumsycrafter I will take a look.

PurplePenny
06-11-2014, 10:34 PM
This is the kind of question that I wish C&C would have on Craft Clinic, but they can't because they only showcase one company's products each time. To answer it properly would require them to have ink pads, markers and paints from many different companies, so I can't see them doing it.

(I recall once when Pinflair's Christine was embarrassed because she'd been told to demonstrate her easel-stands in answer to a question was about easel cards. She kept saying "I knew it didn't mean these easels" and after showing her easels she went on and demonstrated an easel card anyway.)

Susan W
07-11-2014, 10:04 AM
I have used promarkers with archival inks, but I try to stay inside the lines and don't do it very often as they have a tendency to bleed. I always heat set it first to minimise this.The best inks for promarkers are memento or any water based ink. Archival is great to use on fabric as long as you heat set it.
Hope that helps!

RozMinis
07-11-2014, 05:56 PM
I invested in Memento pads especially for use with my Promarker pens, then quite by accident I started using my black Versamark. I find it actually works just as well, if not better, than the Memento pads. Of course it could just be me being lazy. My Versamark is left on my work table all the time, whereas all other pads have to be fished out of the drawer. :)

Roz

Susan W
07-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Has it not smudged on you Roz? I sometimes find it smears - having said that, I use them with versafine as well occasionally, especially if I want a darker outline.

RozMinis
07-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Nope, no problems at all. Mind you I usually do several images at one go, 30+ last time, so by the time I have finished the first ones are nice and dry. Either that or it is time to go to bed. :)

Roz

Craftysusan
07-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Thanks for your responses everyone. I have tried memento pads in the past but not had great or consistent results with them but the Archival pad I bought was brilliant and has inspired me to try some more stamping. I had been put off by my unsuccessful projects in the past. The image I stamped looked good in black and white but I would like to colour it in occasionally. I remember Leonie did a brilliant 2 hour show a long time ago on C&C where she did some great demonstrating of techniques etc but I can't remember if she said anything about Archival pads.

craftyjan
07-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Try this old thread, Craftysusan:-

http://www.crafttelly.com/forum/showthread.php?5578-Is-Ranger-archival-ink-pad-ok-to-use-with-promarkers

It has some useful information.

Craftysusan
11-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Thank you Craftyjan. Sorry for the delay in replying to you, I have been a bit preoccupied since last week with a cold.

Summer
11-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the link craftyjan, it was interesting to read through that again.

I'm a lazy stamper and generally use Momento black for stamping images I am colouring with promarkers, just because that's what I have always used. I tend to use versafine for sentiments. I think my archival black might need replacing because just lately if I have tried using it on solid stamps I seem to get a fine linen type of texture transferring from the stamp pad to the image.

Jacksmissis
12-11-2014, 07:38 AM
oh yikes, don't do much (if any really) stamping - never realised there was so much to it. I have a box full of new and unused stamps that I've bought or had given, I really should give it a go. Thanks for all the tips peeps

RozMinis
12-11-2014, 06:14 PM
I remember the first time I tried embossing. That was way back in the 1990's when such things were virtually unknown, in my part of the universe anyway. Of course my results were total rubbish, didn't realise that one had to use a special type of ink pad. I was obviously using a water based one. It was many years before I tried again. As for the stamps, they disintegrated many moons ago. Shame that, they were really nice Christmas stamps. :(

Roz